Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart orders up blowout, Georgia runs up 55-0 win over Vanderbilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,516 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart orders up blowout, Georgia runs up 55-0 win over Vanderbilt

ATHENS —Kirby Smart told the world he wanted his Georgia football team to get off to a fast start, and, presto!

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    brucelhunterbrucelhunter Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Beck hrew two TD passes in just 7 minutes. Bennett has hrown 2 TDs in the last 16 quarters Kirby needs to get a deep passing game going to complement the run game, and it's clear who can do hat.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Great to see the aggressive offense return today...of course, it's against a very weak Vandy team so what does that really tell us? Not sure honestly.

I will say after seeing TN beat Bama, if we can survive the Halloween> November gauntlet then I'll say we deserve to be #1. Definitely a tougher stretch of games than the same month last season. Most points allowed by Bama since 1907.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good comments. A question for You ( and anyone else that cares to jump in). Are TN and Bama’s Offenses THAT dawg gone powerful ?? OR do Both teams have some short comings on Defense ?? I mean in the SEC you don’t hardly see a 52-49 score between to well rounded teams that are pretty good in All aspects. SO I’m hoping that it’s our Defense that will be the true difference maker as the season goes on. Though I Know and Appreciate that we absolutely Have to have better Offensive production to. Thoughts ??

• Options

Beck looked Very good !! I’m proud of him. BUT we have to remember Who and When he played. He went in against a by then very gassed Vandy team. So it’s kind of hard to get a realistic feel from that sample. But he absolutely Did make the very best of his opportunities !!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was impressed with Beck in those series, but I don’t think he’s an serious option for 2nd half schedule games.

I may be wrong…but the players’ reactions on the sidelines to Beck made me take notice.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe it’s a little of both. There’s no question that Tennessee’s offense is very effective at moving the ball down the field at an impressive pace with great efficiency. But Alabama’s defense had several opportunities to get them off the field, but instead they gave them a fresh set of downs with a penalty (mostly pass interference). I believe the Dawgs defense can be just as effective as Bama’s, but without nearly as many self inflicted wounds like all the penalties. That’s just my opinion, I give it for free because it’s worth every penny. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

@navydawg...I knew this was probably going to be a high scoring game going in. Both teams were able to run the ball effectively which opened up the play action and RPO that forced both defenses to cover everything. Bama had (17) penalties (a Bama record) which killed a few of their own drives and kept TN moving the ball on the other side. Those penalties cost Bama at least 14 points. I haven't watched either team enough this season to know their tendencies other than up tempo for TN offense, and the fact that Bama had a pretty inexperienced WR group (one reason Burton left the Dawgs). Bama has played too many close games this season. You knew they were primed for a defeat at some point. Both offenses gained almost 600 yards, but I do think we've got a slightly better defense overall than Bama. It's going to be a tremendous challenge against the Vols. I think our game against them will come down to the line of scrimmage. The Vol's defense lived in the Bama backfield, but Bama's pass rush wasn't nearly as effective. The Vols should have 1-2 key players back (including their best wide receiver) by the time they play us. Glad the game will be in Athens.

• Options

Good comments Montana and GoodOlDawg !! Thanks !! I Believe our Defense is at least some what better than Bama. I think we can battle with the Vols but they do deserve credit they are a very good team. I would hope we could run the ball effectively on Them or Bama and I Believe we can. This Bye week is Absolutely Critical to our Dawgs !! Get some injured guys back, get a smidgen of needed rest, and Work, Work, Work on the practice field coupled with examining tons of tape !! We Do have a powerful running game !! And our Defense seems to be getting better and better every game played. I’m sure Coach Monken will be drawing up some good plays. And YES playing the Vols in Athens is By Far better than facing them in Knoxville !! You have to give their crowd credit they were loud and raucous fully supporting their team. But I’m Confident Dawg Nation will be the same or More when the Vols come to town. First things first need to go down to Jax and chalk a W on the Mud Lizards !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Need to remember that Vandy has the 130th ranked pass D in the country. SBIV looked sharper today but still threw up some 50/50 balls.

After watching TN wr's run up and down the field (missing their #1 wr Tillman) , KRingo better come ready to play. If he tries to sleep walk through vs TN like he did today it will be a long day for him.

AL DB's coached to push the limit of holding and PI knowing the ref's won't call a penalty on every/most plays. Usually AL can absorb a few penalties. AL can't absorb 17 penalties against a good team.

• Options
    GaDawgNTexasGaDawgNTexas Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

One thing I’ve learned about college football is that whole “they haven’t seen a defense like ours “ don’t mean a hill of beans . Especially when it comes to high powered offense that can stretch the field and strike quickly. I’ve seen it too many times 19 lsu 20 bama 21 bama secc .Definitely not over looking Fla but to be able to beat Tennessee ,Ga has got to be able to run the ball , control the clock and score in the red zone. All that settling for field goals is not going to cut it and getting into a shootout won’t cut it either . Got to control the tempo of the game .