Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs-Vandy: No. 1 team shows how Homecoming should be played

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageDawgs-Vandy: No. 1 team shows how Homecoming should be played

Georgia-Vanderbilt went exactly how you’d expect a No. 1 team’s Homecoming game to go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe our fortunes for the rest of the season are going to be dominated by how well our offense can slow down the gunslingers coming at us by outstaying them on the field. Obviously, this willl also require our defense to eliminate many of the explosive plays which showed up with such regularity in Knoxville this weekend.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like you, Bill, are sounding like our coach on the field and our actual coach. We should celebrate our home coming victory over an SEC opponent known to be improving their game. We should celebrate the shutout. We won our seventh game! We are all also aware of what needs fixing. We know we're not where we need to be. We're not firing on all 12 cylinders. Our mistakes are apparent.

Assuming we can look beyond the WLOCP - and we all know we can't look beyond any game against the University of West Gainesville, not ever - what are the flaws in Tennessee's game?

How balanced is Tennessee in terms of their offense vs their defense? How balanced is Tennessee in terms of their passing game vs their run game?

Even here - in my post and in your article - how much rat poison is there for our Dawgs and how much is there for Tennessee? Many in the national media are downgrading us, or seem to want to even if they're not, and most everyone is practically anointing Tennessee.

I'd be talking them up, too, but I'd rather focus on AR15 and his crew. Beating us would pretty much make their season, and you can bet they will be all about it.

Kirby & Company are aware.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Always great to beat an outmanned opponent the way one should and no reason not to celebrate those just as equally as the tougher ones. Love the focus on the next game up and not looking ahead. UGA is a well-balanced team with some vulnerable areas and I believe the coaching staff can scheme around those. Good, sound defense with assignment discipline and a methodical offensive game plan should give the DAWGS a great chance and the home crowd is a nice have for the UT game. All about execution of whatever game plan so hoping the DAWGS are maturing and locked in. Go DAWGS

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article, Bill. I hope we win out. I really do. But I'm skeptical. Of all the remaining teams on our schedule, Tennessee frightens me the most because I think, on the offensive side of the ball, their skill people are superior to ours. I think Hendon Hooker is a more talented QB than Stetson Bennett and I think their wide receivers are more talented than our DBs. It doesn't mean we can't or won't beat them, but it does mean that we will have to play at a level of efficiency that we haven't done since the Oregon game. In a shootout -- like Bama and Tennessee had -- our defenders won't be able to afford to leave guys wide open (as they did against Vandy), our offense won't be able to stall out in the red zone(as we did against Kent State), Bennett won't be able to take unnecessary sacks. UT can score TDs on nearly every possession from anywhere on the field. Our offense will likely have to keep pace or we may find ourselves too far behind to catch up. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

It was a beautiful fall homecoming day and the game fell right in line. I definitely would have liked to see the long TD that was overturned be "stands". Like you, I'm not sure what angle/replay they had that confirmed his elbow was down. We looked very solid across the board and the two plays by Washington were spectacular!

My only other question/concern is why does Kirby not play our backup QB's earlier? Against Vandy, Beck didn't come in until the very end of the 3rd quarter, well after the game was decided. Meanwhile, Stetson gets a little more banged up from multiple hits he took. Look, if it was just this one game, I wouldn't even think to question it, but it's a pattern now. You may say it doesn't make much difference, but it adds up across games. Anyway, I'm curious if Kirby has discussed his thinking. He and Monken are presumably in agreement about when to bring in the backup, but I would love to hear their reasoning.