Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National media already setting the table for ‘bonkers’ Georgia football-Tennessee game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,518 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageNational media already setting the table for ‘bonkers’ Georgia football-Tennessee game

Georgia doesn’t take on Tennessee for another three Saturdays. The Volunteers have multiple games between now and the Nov. 5 matchup, while Georgia has an off week and then a rivalry game against Florida.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely rat poison. Let's not add to it. Stay focused you hairy dawgs... keep chopping Today, and think no further out than the very big, critically important, and surely challenging Florida game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Since we can't comment on the David Pollack article:

If we want to be fair, Alabama has not looked like a world-beater, either so did tennessee beat a good Bama or a mediocre, on the downward slide Bama? I lean towards the latter.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Which QB throws the best deep ball? Just asking.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have seen too many superior UGA teams struggle with inferior UF teams in these cases...stay focused indeed. On the flip side, it's pretty brutal having to follow UF game with Tennessee. If the Dawgs get through this 4 game stretch (@MSU and @UK to follow) without a blemish, it will be one of the best coaching jobs in UGA history.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Penalties, turnovers, and boneheaded plays are the great equalizers in college football. Tennessee needed every one of the 17 accepted penalties, the turnover on the muffed punt, and every boneheaded play committed by Bama to eek out the win. Excuse me if I’m not willing to become a blathering idiot like those in the press espousing Tennessee’s greatness

I am not 100% certain the Vols will be undefeated when they come to Athens. They have a tough game with KY the week before taking on the Dawgs.Talk about a trap game! Kentucky has an off week prior to the Vol game.

Tennessee’s roster is much more comparable to Kentucky’s than the Dawgs. Kentucky is just as capable of taking down the Vols as the Vols taking down Bama, especially if Tennesse is looking past the Wildcats prior to traveling to Athens.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch I’m still waiting for the “talking heads” to make some of the same points that you’ve made in your comment. They seem to think that Tennessee is unbeatable in spite of how the Alabama defense self destructed with penalties. That Tennessee offense is very effective, so I’m not going to pretend to know what’s going to happen on Nov. 5, but you and I both saw them give up 49 at home. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teams have by-in-large not been able to run the ball on us. Heavy run teams don't scare me near as much as the ones that can light it up through the air. We saw what BAMA did against a generational defense through the air when they had their top 2 receivers healthy in the SECC game. We were powerless. I sort of look at Tennessee the same as they were.

They are going to throw it and throw it then mix in the run, not the other way around, at least that's what I'm thinking. We on the other hand will (as of late), try to bully them with the run and work in some play action. I still think the format for the Michigan game is the way to go. But if SB is still bothered by a sore shoulder, it will be more run on 1st and 2nd down. Whatever works I'm good with,, But Tennessee didn't stop BAMA in the passing attack. THey just had more big plays than BAMA.(A better go to receiver)

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

utk has been playing their best and getting better each game, not sure you can say that about UGA. Sure UGA has by far the more talented roster, but so did bama. Here's where the schedule grind really starts, need to improve every day. I would like to see them go to Jax, come out of the gate and play down hill on both sides of the ball like their hair is on fire. Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations to Tennessee's coaches for doing so much with what they have.

Taking nothing away from their achievement, we don't know what their victory over an Alabama team which made a huge number of mistakes means.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't matter, unless you have a receiver that can run a deep route and create seperation...but, above all make a contested catch and hold on to the ball. Oh,yeah...you need your line to consistently hold the rush longer than 1-2 seconds.

Look what happened to Bryce Young. Went from all-World QB, with 2 all-World WR's....to, running for his life, half injured, with nobody to throw deep to.

Which team has receivers that fit that bill? That's not what the air-raid system is, or does. Air-raid principles don't require the over-the-top passing game. It's more of a short to intermediate passing game that takes advantage of mismatches and downfield blocking. It requires physical WR's and athletic TE's that can make contested catches.

UGA has everything they need to "take it to the house", this year. Especially, now that the running game issues have been resolved. The Dawgs, for all intents and purposes, have 2 very capable offensive line's. They could swap out the entire offensive line, and not miss a beat.

That's what Kirby and Monkin have been working on, since the Carolina game. They discovered a weakness in the running game...and fixed it. Giving every offensive lineman they have, valuable experience and film to study. They'll need every one of em going into that 4-game stretch,, in November.

UGA reverted back to their original offense at the end of the 2nd qtr, in the Vandy game. Why? To go into the bye week on a positive note.

When you see UGA again, they'll look better they did in the first half of the Oregon game. And, everybody..."will be amazed". LOL

UGA will crush Tennessee. Did it occur to anybody, that UGA's defense actually appears to be better than last year's? I mean top-to-botom, side-line-to-side-line. Yeah...yeah, fewer sacks and turnovers and pick sixes. But, aggressive, Smart, fast and physical. I'll take that all day.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BTW....Oregon has scored more than 40 points in every game they've played, since the opening game against UGA. And, UGA accounts for about a third of their defense's Points Allowed.

Oregon is only ranked 4 teams below BAMA and UGA made them look like an FCS opponent. National media wrote em off after the UGA game...now, they're in the CFP conversation. LOL

Where does all that put the 49-6 drubbing the Dawgs put on em, in the "strength of schedule" category? The key metric here, is 6 POINTS ALLOWED. Tennessee can't touch that. Nobody, I've seen this year, can touch it.

Can you imagine the Rat Poison Smart would be dealing with right now, if he hadn't of put the dampers on their offense after the Carolina game. He's going into the big 4-game-run, right where he wants to be.

Smart's a crafty dude. Not many coaches would have the balls to play rope-a-dope with his offense, 3 games into the season, just to create a challenge for his team. To give em a taste of adversity and improve his depth during the weakest part of your schedule is genius. He killed 2 birds with 1 stone. The press is off HIS back and on Josh Heupel and his players, instead.

Mark my words...Bennett will Win the Heisman in the Tennessee game...Hooker will lose it.