Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Vince Dooley’s Top 10 wins as Georgia football coach, and what he said about them

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageVince Dooley’s Top 10 wins as Georgia football coach, and what he said about them

ATHENS — The late Vince Dooley stands as Georgia’s winningest coach of all-time with 201 victories along with six SEC titles and the 1980 national championship.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes sir, coach.

I wasn't alive for many of these games. #9 was 12 days before I was born. Still, my family is jawja folks, I've been here all my life, and I grew up with National Championship Coke bottles on shelves (many of which were opened this past January) and Dooley's name in my ear.

I can't hope to be appreciated by as many, only loved as dearly.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What a great run down memory lane for all of DawgNation, Mike! Thanks for sharing!

And let’s not forget that UGA, with a considerable effort by Coach Dooley, and Oklahoma U. were responsible for initiating the push that broke the NCAA’s hold on television broadcasts of college football games which allowed football fans to be able to enjoy our favorite Saturday pastime on a grander stage than ever before!

I think that a writeup about the background of that lawsuit would make a great article someday, Mike!

Thanks, Coach Dooley, for all you did for the University of Georgia and college football in general! You will be forever remembered!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every one of these games bring back old and great memories as I remember them all. The Texas Cotton Bowl game has special memories for me while watching the game with a dear uncle. I’ll always remember how Coach Dooley would be “hunkered” down on the sidelines with all his intensity, totally absorbed in the game and his excitement when we would score a TD or have a big play. A great coach but more importantly, a great, great man who was truly a leader and developer of young men. The world is a better place because of Coach Vince Dooley! RIP Coach!!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was a wonderful coach and man. He brought the Dawgs to a new level. I was a senior at Georgia when he was hired. Georgia won 2-3 games in 1963 under Johnny Griffith. And in Dooley's first year we win seven games and beat Texas Tech in the Sun Bowl. God Bless Vince Dooley. I met him once and it was an honor.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was seven years old when Vince Dooley became the Head Coach at UGA. The name “Vince Dooley” is as common to people of Georgia as saying peanuts and cotton, but Much, Much More Special. All those great Saturdays with Coach Dooley on the sidelines and Larry Munson in the press booth. I feel so honored and privileged to have grown up first listening on the radio to the Voice Of The Dawgs Larry Munson, describing in vivid detail the Great Coach Vince Dooley. Then later Seeing the Dawgs and Coach Dooley in black & white TV !! Then Finally all the Glorious and Beautiful watching Coach Dooley and the Dawgs in Color in them red jerseys and silver britches !! Growing up a Dawgs fan was/is a Great way to live your childhood !! Thank You so much Coach Dooley !! I’ll Always have fond memories of You and our beloved Dawgs !! RIP Coach Dooley.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember all these games very well. Especially the 21-0 shutout of Bama in 1976. Sitting on the "tracks" with my dad as a young teenager. 1 of my top 10 memories..GoDAWGS!