Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart praises ‘vicious’ Kenny McIntosh response and ‘drive of the year’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart praises ‘vicious’ Kenny McIntosh response and ‘drive of the year’

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Georgia had what Kirby Smart referred to as the “drive of the year” at the most pivotal junction in its 42-20 win over Florida on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay Coach..Kenny Mac made up for that very costly fumble....we get it. He has to play with the same violence next weekend. The Vols are making KY look like a scrimmage ...so far. They are playing with a vengeance. UGA will not have the luxury of a scoreless 3rd quarter against this team...while the opponents rack up 17 unanswered points...just being honest. Vols secondary is superior to FL. Plus, Vols play with alacrity....down to down. Their QB is excellent. I expect UGA to win...but let's clean up the turnovers...again.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Ole Recliner Coach here. I hope we Run the ball on TN until they show they can Consistently stop it. Mix a few short to intermediate passes in to keep em honest, AND let Stets run on designed runs a little to. But RUN the ball rotating our RBs in and out and every carry reminding them Protect The Ball !! KY was having some success early in the game running the ball vs the Vols. But then much to early in my humble opinion abandoned it and started throwing the ball Allot. And Levis got picked off several, several times. Dawgs have a stout O line and great RBs use them !! I don’t say never throw the ball but make the easy throws, lull em to sleep running the ball, Then sting their eyes out to Bowers !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Please don't go into next week thinking about wearing them down. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. UT is very opportunistic on defense. They will keep coming. UGA needs to attack and score on every possession. If UGA somehow gets up by 14, they CAN NOT have a 3rd qtr attitude like today in that game. PERIOD.

• Options

I won’t be able to attend the game next Sat. but I have a Bug favor to ask of my fellow Dawgs fans. Please show those Orange Folks this ain’t Neyland Stadium at night !! No it’s Sanford Stadium and DOOLEY Field and for you Orange Folks it’s gonna be a House Of Horrors !! Please rock Sanford Stadium like never before !! In Memory Of Coach Vince Dooley !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

KY was running the ball on them pretty decent at the start of the game. I think the Dawgs have a Far Better run attack than KY. Then KY just seemed to suddenly forget they had a run game !! Started throwing the ball, Allot. And That’s when they got in trouble !! Threw like 4 or 5 INTs !! You can’t turn the ball over vs a team like TN and hope to win. I’d throw the ball enough to keep them from getting to eager to crowd the line of scrimmage, but I’d flip the script and Run on them !! More than apt with the success the Dawgs have had using TEs especially Bowers their gonna Expect the throws to him and Darnell, and short throws to McConkey. So do what they Don’t expect Run the ball down their throat !! We have a Big and Strong O line, we have RBs that bring different styles of running to the table. Of Course pepper in enough throws to keep em honest but Run the ball !! If nothing else it will keep their Quick Tempo Offense off the field. Even if only a little longer per series. If we throw the ball, Allot and don’t make it, the three and outs will come Quickly, our Defense will get gassed by their Quick Tempo And inability to sub Defensive players in, and it’ll be game over. Run the ball, more than throw it and gas Their Defense !! THEN once fatigue sets in go to the Stets to Bowers or Stets to Washington routine. Just my humble opinion. I’d sure Try running the ball initially just to get a feel for how well they can stop it. And unless they can stop it on a Consistent basis I’d keep pounding it !! Think about it. Their Expecting to face the “New” throw the ball more than run it O under Coach Monken. But what if he and Kirby flip the script on em and start the game off more like the old UGA ?? Just might catch them completely off guard !! Dawgs Do have a very good run game it’s just that Coach Monken is a more pass oriented Coach.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree 100% once I get past your first two sentences.

Our game is to wear them down. We're fully capable of it. It's what we do. We must keep their defense on the field and beat them to death with dominant physical line of scrimmage smash mouth football to the nth degree.

We also must avoid sloppy play. We must be precise. We must be disciplined.

Yes, indeed, we can not have a third quarter slump. Yes, indeed, we must always be on the attack, but we have to play Georgia football, and not try to match them with gunslinger downfield passing. As you said, they are very opportunistic on defense, and very aggressive; we must not give them the opportunities.

Our goal should be to make them want to give up and go home. To make them know they want nothing to do with Bowers and Washington and our running backs.

It will be a game which tests our will and our character and our desire. We must deeply tap into the best we have to bring.

Exactly how to accomplish the task is on Kirby & Company, but our players must execute far better than they did in the cocktail party.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem with sticking with the run is you have to have some passing to go along with it. KY didn't. Mainly becasue KY had 16 runs for 77 yards in the 1st half (not terrible except most of that yardage came on 3 runs), so in other words the rest of their running was 13 runs for 30 yards or 2.3 yard per carry. That makes it 3rd and long most of the time. Levis isn't a good enough QB to with-stand that scenario continuously.

When you can't loosen up the defense with the run then you'd better have a really good QB. I think our run game has really come on the last couple of games. They will stack the box and challenge SB to beat them. THey will play man coverage and attack our receivers on the line of scrimmage. I'm pretty sure they don't believe SB can beat them with the long pass or with slants overthe middle.

I don't know that we can do the same with Hooker.