Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett leaves Kentucky behind stressing offensive improvement

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett leaves Kentucky behind stressing offensive improvement

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett left Kentucky with a message for himself and his offensive teammates: Improvement is needed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That offense was terrible. They won't win championships with that play. O line, QB, WR, all of it was bad.

• Options
    rusavedornotrusavedornot Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Every time the media starts all of the Bennett Heisman talk, he can’t get past his big head. Bennett is better when he doesn’t think that he is. Stop the rat poison talk. And our red zone and short yardage issues are a result of being predictable. How about spread the offense out and gain some space to run through, or run around the end, or hand it to Carter, or have Bennett keep it to run behind Carter and McIntosh/Milton? We can’t assume we’re going to push it through.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean, enough with the "he knows he has to get better" talk. We're down to our last regular season game.

My prediction for him for Saturday against Tech? Probably more sloppy play. For whatever reason, he seems to do better against stronger opponents and worse against weaker ones. His comments on the INT don't make sense either - it was a moronic pass. He threw it right to the Kentucky defender. Get your head in the game, man.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Hemingwey

Now you understand a litte better perhaps my concerns about running the ball at the goal-line. THe number 1 team in the country who every team we play talks about how physical we are can't seem to get 1 yard when it matters. Stopped multiple times in the last 2 games when we just needed a yard.

It's a little bit ridiculous. We have great pulling guards, when theyhave the time to pull but in general our O-line isn't strong enough mano-e-mano in the trenchs to knock lessor teams backwards. It happened even in the Ball St or Kent St game,I forget. Even with big ole 0 in there and Jalen Carter! JUst bizarre.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Don’t recall debating this issue with you—but, perhaps, I did? The goal line ‘need one yard’ plays have been a problem throughout Kirby’s tenure…and before, honestly. I am not blaming Kirby, but it has been an issue for Georgia going back…about a decade? Hard to understand why this is so, but, for some reason, our OL does not seem to get the necessary push in those situations—and hasn’t for a very long time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have to improve. Even undefeated, and #1 in the land, and defending the natty, we have to improve.

That's the mindset and the intent. We can be assured Kirby & Company are aware and are doing everything possible to make it happen.

We may not see improvements until it's important to display them. Some of what Kirby does is use games as practice sessions. Games meaning games where he's not concerned we're going to lose. Think Kentucky.

I'm fine with whatever as long as we keep winning. Winning teams continue to improve or they don't continue to win. That's a fact.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tech's offense is not that great. I believe UGA DL will push them around and stop their QBs, yes, plural, and run game. Tech does not score a lot of points in games. UGA really should have little problem scoring big if they so desire. Open up the run game with a solid passing attack. Kenny Mac should run all over their defense. The Red Zone should not be a problem against Tech. UGA's defense will keep their offense off the field...so UGA and Stets should have a good senior day. I hope AD Mitchell sees action...he must be desperate to play.

I do know though that Tech is playing to qualify for a much desired bowl game...they will give it their all. They played aggressively against NC. They are stoked after that win.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson’s last game in Sanford Stadium. Good, Bad, and In Between I deeply appreciate his contribution to the Dawgs efforts for a repeat National Title. Speaking For Me, I believe that Stetson and his story have been Good for the University Of Georgia. More than apt and it’s NOT a knock on him, just what I believe to be factual, Stetson will not be able to play in the NFL. At best maybe on a scout/practice team in the NFL. My reasoning being that the speed of NFL defenses would off set and null Stets abilities with his feet. I’d dearly Love for him to make me wrong on that. I like my crow with a little salt, pepper, and butter please lol !! I know that there are some that are not particularly fond of Stetson and that’s certainly OK they are entitled to their opinion. But apparently Kirby and Coach Monken DO believe in Stetson and so for Dawgs football That’s what matters. I’ve never heard or read anywhere that his teammates don’t like him, to the contrary I Have read numerous times that his teammates Do like him and more importantly they Trust him. I’m not a big fan of NIL deals, but it’s now part of CFB so I guess I about as well realize that and accept it. So that being the case that NILs are here to stay I can’t think of any other kid in CFB that I’d want to get a good deal any More than Stetson, the kid from a small town in South Georgia. As already discussed quite a few of his teammates will go on to the NFL and make $$$ that will dwarf his NIL deals so I’m OK with it. I just hope and pray that he can lead the Dawgs to a repeat National Title that would be a sugary sweet legacy for him to close his time at UGA on !! Then ( I would assume this to be the case barring a huge upset by those behind him) bring on the Carson Beck Show !!! Carson has worked his butt off, fought uphill, and will have Earned it comes time. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No doubt some (all?) of the execution failure is on the OL. #88 lead blocking has failed. Pretty miserably.

BUT how much is it knowing the play in advance by tendencies, formation, scouting and history of previous play calling? The Defense knows what is coming. That makes it much more difficult to execute successfully. Still #88 can't keep missing blocks.

• Options
    SloanDawgSloanDawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Head scratcher….NFL teams max utilize their TE’s as receivers in goal line situations.

With the abundance of talent at the position, why doesn’t UGA?