Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What potential College Football Playoff Week 13 rankings mean for Georgia football future

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat potential College Football Playoff Week 13 rankings mean for Georgia football future

ATHENS — Once again, there should be little drama about Georgia’s standing in regards to this week’s College Football Playoff rankings. Though uninspiring this past weekend against Kentucky, the Bulldogs came away with a 16-6 road win.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BAMA is like the villain in one of those old horror movies. No matter how many hits they take, they still seem to be ready to return. Their problem? GEORGIA will be waiting with the knock-out punch! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we have learned anything about the committee, it’s that the purpose of all the rankings leading up to the last one is to create talking points. Everything is out the window when it comes to the rankings that matter.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama is not one of the four best teams. If Bama wasn’t Bama, they’d be ranked around 15th at present. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A wonderful example.....Coach "Michael Myers" Saban.....has a nice ring to it!

Go Dawgs! Just win, baby!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@E_Roc and @ShoottheHooch and anyone else that cares about the bowls and playoffs.

I ranted on another article this morning about how useless and worthless the bowl season has become after the article stated that the 5-6 Georgia Tech team might actually have a chance to go to a bowl game. How ludicrous. Seriously. And you guys responded.

Undeserving teams (at .500 or maybe a bit better) in silly named bowls all for the sake of money that few fans watch. The 30+ bowl games have made a mockery of what started out decades ago to be a pretty important and fun small group of bowl games for deserving teams that people wanted to watch between Christmas and New Years. As Shoot pointed out, much of the tradition of the biggest bowl games have been lost, and many players opt out of even playing in the bowl games, because it's not a part of the playoffs.

The FCS just announced their 24-team PLAYOFF schedule. Expand the FBS playoffs to 24 teams and include MORE teams in the actual playoffs. Do that and get rid of the bowl games altogether or incorporate more of the bowl games in the playoffs. Maybe then those players would not opt out if their games were part of the playoffs.

I'm halfway joking about this idea, but the more I think about it the more I actually like it. If the FCS can do something like this then there is no reason that the FBS cannot.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I recall the 1964 season with UGA winning the Sun Bowl against Texas Tech 7-0..I believe there were a total of 9 bowl games that year which carried over into 1965. I have no idea how many bowl games there are now....whoever puts up the bucks gets the bowl.....it is all $$. The really meaningful games are the college playoffs...which I feel should be expanded...not sure about 24, MontanaDawg... LOL.. For sure 12. My rabid football fan brother and I become so disgusted when top players opt out of their respective post season playoff games. Let more teams qualify for the playoffs and it could get a whole lot more interesting and just maybe players would hang in there a bit longer. I believe also things would be more meaningful to fans who would be delighted.

• Options

@UGA66...nice comments. I heard that was a big game against Texas Tech, but I was only 2 years old at the time, so I think I was probably tuned to Bugs Bunny instead. I didn't turn into a true Dawg fan until just before the Hershel years when I was at school there. Prior to that I grew up in a Tech household unfortunately.

They do call it the " College Football Playoff TOP 25"...why even rank 25 teams if your playoff only includes 4 or maybe 12?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was a battle....Sun Bowl. I was contracted to take defense set-up Polaroid photos for the team back in those days...I ran back and forth to the coaches box. Much younger then while also a student in J-School at UGA.

How would you bracket 24 football teams? Could work. You would still see the big money for the top teams...tv contracts, etc. What about NIL? Prestige and money are the bait.

Thanks for your response.

• Options

@UGA66...what a cool job to have!

Well, I haven't worked out the logistics or details, but I love the idea. The FCS has (4) 4-team brackets. Here is a link to their entire bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2022

The College Football Playoff Top 25 currently has one 4-loss team, but other than that every team has 3-losses or less. That makes for a good playoff if you ask me....especially if you seriously mix up the matchups ending up with some unexpected games.