Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CFP Rankings: Clemson’s gripe and possible Georgia semifinal opponents

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageCFP Rankings: Clemson’s gripe and possible Georgia semifinal opponents

ATHENS — Kirby Smart probably still hasn’t bothered to look at the CFP rankings yet, as it’s his style to stay consumed with the task at hand.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

The one scenario no one anywhere is bringing up is if our #1 Dawgs lose in Atlanta to LSU:

Want to know why? Because they don’t want to say that UGA will still remain a top 3 ranking. No way you can justify dropping Georgia past number 3, regardless if it’s a blowout or not! You can’t move LSU ahead of them in ranking because LSU still has two losses, but you have to move LSU to the top 4 best in the country. MICHIGAN or OSU will also have a loss, and then you have a possible 1 loss or undefeated TCU.

UGA can’t be bumped to number 4 unless you don’t move LSU to 3 or 2, which wouldn’t make any sense at all because, like I said, it’s UGA’s first loss. And then if Michigan is the one with the one loss, their schedule strength and resume is almost 40 spots behind a one loss Georgia, so UM would be out. Then OSU would be in the drivers seat for the top seed, with a battle between TCU and UGA for seeds #2 & #3, and then LSU as the possible SEC champion versus the 1 loss possible Pac12 champion USC and 1 loss ACC champion Clemson.

I know where my money would be with that scenario where UGA is tripped up against LSU, and here’s a hint:

Fans of Trojans and Tigers are gonna be really upset!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Gibroni88 No idea what would happen, but UGA losing isn't among the Top 8 most likely scenarios IMO

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally, I'd prefer Scenarios #2 or 3...not interested in playing Clemson again.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Mike....you forgot the forth scenario. Lol

1. OSU

2. UGA

3. MICH

4. LSU

TCU loses. USC beats ND, but, loses to Oregon. LSU wins a close one in Atlanta. MICH loses a close one against OSU...and OSU wins out. MICH is the best of the remaining 1 loss teams.

How likely is that?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d love to play clemson this year. I think we’d beat them handily. Go Dawgs!! Wreck tech!!

• Options

Oh yeah...and I put Clemson and BAMA on "Upset Alert".

I don't think BAMA's focus is on this season, any longer. Yes, they're still going through the motions, but, their heart isn't in it. Young, Anderson, Gibbs, Ricks...and a few other guys have their eyes on the draft, now.

As far as Clemson...I've had them on "Upset Alert" all year. Lol. I'm just not impressed with what I see, from a consistency and depth standpoint. SC is fully capable of giving them the beat-down they've been begging for, all year. If they played in a real Conference, they would've lost weeks, if not months ago.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@David1... exactly why I don't want to play Clemson. I would rather play A) a team we haven't played before and B) a more competitive team....

• Options

I thought, pretty much the same thing. If things play out the way I think...the Committee has already expressed it's commitment to "Wins" above all else. "Ole Boo", said as much in explaining the first CFP Poll.

If they change up now, it would destroy their credibility...not that anybody cares or could do a darn thing about. There is no oversight, so, they can pretty much do what they want...including Elevating Notre Dame to #4.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Scenario two only if OSU and Mich. tight game. I am so inclined to reverse OSU and Mich. but that opens a can of worms. I do not want to see Clemson in there again. I believe OSU may be stronger than Mich. Scenario 4 I do not see as UGA should knock off LSU bumping them to 5.

Happy Thanksgiving Dawgs and Dawg fans!

• Options
    edited November 2022

Clemson doesn’t have a resume to be considered one of the “best 4 teams” in college football. Defeating SC at their own house and defeating a 9 win UNC team(who has 6 wins versus teams outside the top 25 by single digits) and two losses both at home AND no victories over top 35 ranked teams, is not going to put Clemson’s resume above any team that currently has or will have ONLY one loss.

The ACC conference is considered by ANY metric to be the weakest power 5 conference and they are not undefeated in that conference. Both the PAC 12 and the BIG 10 and the BIG 12 have more teams in the top 30 than the entirety of the ACC at the end of this season.

So to summarize my opinion, that one loss Clemson has is pretty much a wrap on their fate because of those numerous factors. If they were undefeated or even had a close loss, it would be a different scenario. But that’s not what their record is.

Even if TCU takes a loss this weekend or in their Championship game(only 1), I still think TCU and OSU should be ahead of Clemson based on quality wins, season long performance resume, and overall eye-test or whatever you want to call it through 11 games of the college football season.

Notre Dame beat the brakes off of Clemson in the month of November and the Tigers were at full strength. You take that team out of the confines of their little home and they wilted like a weak team. Check out Clemson’s schedule where teams were ranked when they played them toward the beginning third of the season and every one of them outside FSU were over ranked and have 4 or more losses after 11 games. The ACC is a laughingstock and that’s not an SEC homer making that comment, that’s pretty much consensus amongst CFB talking heads combined with look at the performances season long by teams in Clemson’s conference. Clemson’s best win is against a three loss FSU team by 6 points. An FSU team that has a double digit loss to unranked (7-4/3-4ACC) Wake Forest team and another loss to an NC State team who lost their ACC preseason POY QB in the first half of the game.

I can rattle off 7 teams that I think are better overall teams and can back it up with who they’ve defeated over Clemson. And then defeating SC and NC isn’t going to move the needle for me above those 7 teams.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not so sure Clemson can beat SC this Saturday. The UT game had to boost the team's, and Rattler's confidence. I also am not so sure UGA gets in if they somehow lose to LSU. Our once sparkling 2-Best wins have diminished somewhat lately. Remember, Kelly gave Kirby all he could handle in the two Notre Dame games, with a lot less talent. He has more now, particularly in the trenches. Kirby won't have an excuse for keeping a lid on the Dawgs Offense, with a roof over the field. If he turns Monken loose, we win going away.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

LSU is a tough match up for UGA. Pretty well coached. They'll have a plan. 2 exceptional pass rushing LB's they can bring on any play from anywhere. At the same time the LSU QB is probably the most elusive QB UGA has played this season. He can keep plays alive and move the sticks with his feet. And UGA struggles with pass rush unless they bring LB's and/or S's. LSU has some talent at WR. How will the LSU freshman OT's hold up?

A LOT of money at stake for the SEC. The SEC really likes getting 2 teams in the playoffs ($$$). Watch the ref's.

• Options
    edited November 2022

@Dawggy

There is zero chance that UGA will be left out of the playoff if they lose to LSU.

ZERO.

LSU could defeat UGA 68 to 3 and Georgia will still be going to the playoff as a top 4 team after going 8-0 in the SEC, winning the SEC East division, and having a top 30 non-conference schedule where they were also undefeated after they whoop the bugs this Saturday.

CBS sports, ESPN, Fox sports all have them as a lock to make the playoff as of week 12. 2 of those 3 have them as a lock even if they lose to Ga tech and LSU in ATL.

They are in the drivers seat after having an amazing undefeated conference record for the second season in a row and I am looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us the next 2 football Saturdays!

Go DAWGS!

• Options

"Remember, Kelly gave Kirby all he could handle in the two Notre Dame games, with a lot less talent." ______@Dawggy

Uh-huh...and...Kirby gave Kelly MORE than HE could handle...with..??...what was that??? Oh, yeah...."a lot less talent". Lol

So, what makes you think Kelly can beat him now? I am curious.

I know you're stressing...but, don't worry. It's The Dawgs destiny to win the Natty 3 years in a row. We got 2 more years. Lol

You hit on some of the same things @UGADad20 said. At the end of the day, ESPN and a couple of other Networks...along with Sports Betting farms...have the most to gain from the "who's-in...who's out, debate".

I just wonder how much influence, ESPN pounding the drum for a particular team, has on AP & Coaches Poll voters...and, in turn, the CFP Committee?

If you were to go to ESPN's website, right now...I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find a story or picture on and SEC Team. They cover OSU and MICH, along with the PAC12. Not much on the SEC...even though that Conference will more than likely have the CFPCG Trophy for the....how many years in a row.

It must be frustrating for the BIG10 Homer's at ESPN. The SEC owns the CFP, despite their meddling and obvious bias. I don't have enough middle fingers for ESPN....LOL.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After the OSU-UM game this weekend, it could be “our #2 Dawgs” facing LSU in Atlanta if OSU wins. I’m not saying that will absolutely happen, but it is a realistic possibility. You are absolutely right that a loss in the SECCG still wouldn’t drop the dawgs out of the top 4 whether they are ranked #1 or #2. It’s always interesting to read comments from someone who has done some impressive research. GO DAWGS!

• Options

"You are absolutely right that a loss in the SECCG still wouldn’t drop the dawgs out of the top 4"

Yeah...but, like I always say, "Why take a chance?". Beat the living hell out of TECH & LSU. We'll discuss it at the CFP. Lol

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I think Michigan could still be in the top 4 if they lose a close game to Ohio State…..and a few other teams slip-up. Of course that would be ridiculous to have 1 SEC and 2 B10’s, but we know how the committee functions 🙄. Go Dawgs and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy Thanksgiving, Dawg family!