Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Vote for Stet

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said, sir, and I join you every day in voting for Stet!

Best two years of my life as a Dawg fan!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love Buck. Great athlete. I am not not taking anything away from him to say he isn’t Bennett. Also, it was a different era—when you could have a back like Herschel (and others) pound the rock 30-40 times a game.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

That is the way it should be. Not just the guy with the most stats.

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If it isnt based on stats and is based on subjective things like perseverance, hard work, and diligence, then you are going to have a real hard time finding a winner regardless of what the Heisman statement says.

For example think of Caleb Williams. Maybe he came from a really poor home growing up but rose above it to excel in athletics. How does that score on the perseverance scale? An 8? 6?

Stats are used because they are something we can quantify. Taking the subjective stuff out.

• Options

Aren’t stats subjective in the final analysis? Individual stats depend on many, many factors beyond individual performance. ‘There are lies, d.a.m.n lies, and statistics.’ 🤣

• Options
  • Options

Good question. I don't know how you measure it, but this is the criteria the Heisman people came up with. They seem to have drifted away from their core beliefs and just go with stats now because it's easy. 4,500 passing yards or 1700 rushing yards looks more impressive than 17 sacks, or 143 tackles, or 6 ints (those are the stats for the 3 defensive guys who lead the nation in those categories last year).

I don't think anyone is saying Williams shouldn't be considered, I think the issue is that it's always a QB, RB or WR. My idea is that the Heisman finalists should be selected from the other major position award winners. The finalists would be the O'Brien, Outland, Bednarik, Thorp, Walker....award winners. 1 from those position groups. Not 4 QBs and a RB.

• Options

By the way, Stet is pretty firmly in the lead. Williams and Stroud have really faded.

• Options
    edited December 2022

I think Stet may be a fan favorite because he is (relatively) an average sized guy who has often been cast as an underdog. Yet, despite his flaws, he has showed grit, poise and determination—no matter the obstacles. Sort of an ‘everyman’ type of figure. Been reading a lot of recent posts by fans of other teams who are pulling for him—not just for Heisman (which is going to go to Williams, most likely, unless there is some major chaos this weekend).

• Options

Indeed. He is the ultimate underdog. Stet is the greatest underdog story in college football history.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

idk man. I think maybe Shaqeum Griffin who was born with a hand deformity that ended up causing such debilitating pain that he tried to amputate it himself with a butcher knife, had his left hand surgically amputated, and still was able to play D1 ball at a high enough level at UCF to get drafted might be more of an underdog story than an averaged sized white kid with 4.5 speed that stumbled into the starting job through various injuries to starting QBs.

• Options

That guy was amazing. He had a great game against Auburn in a bowl his Senior year.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Young won a lot votes nationally last year in the SECCG. It's a big game and and a big stage. I also think Stet could have a few scrapes, or the staff has been trying to prevent scrapes lately. Also remember that the wind was causing havoc in Lexington. Levis can throw a football about 70 yards and several of his passes were wounded ducks in that wind. Our staff decided to run more. MHO, but last week I think they were working on the running game. LSU will get the whole playbook and if Kelly's strategy at ND is a tell for Saturday, we will see a lot of extra hats entering the box to shut down our running game. It could be a great opportunity for Stet to shine if he can execute. However, as I said before the season, I think Stet will get invited to NY, but he won't win the trophy.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, I don’t see him winning the heisman. But it would be great if he got invited to the ceremony. Do you know when they will decide on the invitations?

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ballots were sent out Monday. The deadline for voting is 12/5, the following Monday. That gives voters a chance to view the CG performances. The finalists are announced on the 5th, and the winner is announced the following Saturday on the 10th. So, we will find out if Stet gets invited on the 5th.

The SECCG will be important, as will the Pac-12CG.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I hope you’re right and Stet does get an opportunity to shine in the SECCG and takes full advantage of it. I think it’s also highly possible that we get a nice lead and Kirby more or less takes the ball out of Stet’s hands later in the game.

I honestly think the trophy is Williams to lose. He had almost 400 yards and 5 TDs against Utah earlier this season. I expect he will need a big game if USC is to win. Who knows though, I’d just like to see Stet get invited to NY. Although, I’d certainly rather see him help us go back to back.