Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

USA vs England

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If US beats Iran they likely face Netherlands/Ecuador in the round of 16 which would be at 2pm Saturday finishing right before the SECCG! USA is very likely to win that based on performance so far. Need to finish in regulation to avoid split screen!

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The young US team proved they belonged against England. Gaining confidence. They need to trust it and play more aggressively, challenging possession all over the field for 90+ min. Must generate as many opportunities around the net as possible because we aren’t experienced burying goals yet on this stage. Youth is on our side, outlast opponents. Run subs on frequently because we have a good bench too. I’m optimistic about US soccer after seeing the type athletes we finally have on the field.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I grew up playing football and soccer and was probably better at soccer. Played on English teams when I lived there in HS. Honestly, the talent level wasn't much different. The biggest difference was how they play. Keep in mind this was mid 80s.... American soccer was very hands-off and non-physical. Very little pushing and shoving. English football is very physical. Lots of pushing and shoving. That took a while to get used to. Also, American soccer was always attacking. Always going forward. Less passing, more individual runs. English football was all about finesse passing, even passing backwards to the goalie. Going backwards is downright unAmerican!

American soccer has come a long way, and yesterday USA actually looked like the better team. There really isn't a reason why USA can't be a dominant force in world soccer. We have the athletes, we have world class training facilities, we have a professional league (which is regarded as one of top 5 leagues in the world), and we have the third largest population on the planet. I think what it would take would be someone to put some serious money into the MLS and make it attractive to the best coaches and best players in the world. Increasing the foreign player/coaching talent in MLS would improve American talent overall. Unfortunately, soccer in the US doesn't pack stadiums. MLS can't compete with the English Premier League in that regard. But MLS is steadily growing and improving.

• Options

Bump. Take care of Iran today 2pm EST and we are through to the knockout stage!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If anyone gets Sirius XM (and can't watch it on TV) it should be on Channel 88

Go USA!

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaalllllllll!!!!!!!!

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yessssssss

USA advances

F Iran

• Options

Whewwwww.

We are lucky to survive only scoring one goal. Gotta finish!

But great win nonetheless.

• Options

Netherlands up 1-0…..their defense is stifling right now…

Come on USA!

• Options
  • Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Possession has been good but their quality when they get chances is just so much better.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The USA is a good team but quite young and inexperienced in this type of high level game. I hate saying it but the future looks bright.

• Options

The substituted player, Wright just scored at the 75th minute!

Great call, Coach!

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Had our chance. Outside backs both got **** in too far on that goal. Robinson has great speed and effort, but I’m not as sure of his soccer IQ.

• Options

Me neither but one thing I am sure of is it is much higher than mine.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dutch just have far superior technical ability and defensive soundness

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

‘Futball’ Meh… Go Dawgs! 🤣😇

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USA needs to go out and hire whoever is considered the best coach in Europe or South America and throw the bank account at the guy. There is no reason that a sports-obsessed nation of 350 million people with the best athletic training facilities in the world can't field a globally competitive soccer team. We only beat Iran 1-0. That is embarrassing. Iran. Tied Wales, a nation with the population of Connecticut. Soccer is the #1 sport in America based on how many people play, it's HUGE at the youth level, but for some reason kind of drops off at the HS and college level. American kids grow up playing soccer just like European kids. Team USA has gotten a lot better the last 20 or so years, but it's still way behind.

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

USA women’s soccer is dominant, though.

• Options

Men have football, baseball and hoops draining the talent pool. Women have only hoops and softball. That may be part of the reason. Not sure how average salaries compare across sports. I do think US men's soccer is improving. Not sure it's coaching that's the problem. It lies, I think, in the area of development and who is available to be developed.