Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

George Pickens gives Georgia football a perfect recruiting pitch when it comes to the NFL

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorge Pickens gives Georgia football a perfect recruiting pitch when it comes to the NFL

It hasn’t taken George Pickens long to make an impact at the NFL level. He’s already come down with a number of highlight reel catches while earning a larger role in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense. He’s caught 33 passes for 453 yards and two touchdowns in his rookie campaign.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang! What a testimony from Pickens about the toughness of Georgia football! These guys that end up in the NFL are a step ahead of players from other schools - what a shock it must be to other players that have to practice against a former Dawg player! GREAT stuff from Pickens, GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is good that he has not been injured in the NFL. UGA saw little of him after his first season. Seems SEC plays tougher than the NFL. Testimony in that.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love to hear this and especially like watching Pickens lay blocks on the NFL. Some commentators have recognized this and called it out that he seems to love contact. Go DAWGS

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with the UGA vs NFL comparison. I've said for a couple of years now, that Saban and Smart brought the NFL mold back to BAMA with them. I think that Saban And Smart were partners from the time they left Miami and proceeded to create an NFL Quality College Football team, in Tuscaloosa.

When Smart Announced he would be taking over in Athens, I swear it looked like Saban was going to cry and blow a gasket...all at the same time. You could tell he knew, things were about to change for him, in Tuscaloosa, and UGA Football, in Athens.

Kirby applied the lessons he learned, working and playing for various HC's over the years. Not necessarily the schematics,, but,, the way he evaluates, selects and trains personnel...both Assistant Coaches and prospective players. I don't think there's a Coach in the NCAA or NFL, that's better at the most subtle, but arguably, the most important part of the job.

IMO, Recruiting and maintaining a high level of standards, doesn't require 5 star athletes (out of HS) across the board. A good coach can take a kid with the physical tools and mental toughness to push past the pain...and turn him into a 5-star player. J. Davis knows that...so does Travon Walker.

Lol. Not every HS player has the benefit of a genius Coach or the ability to move to a school that does have one. Not every kid gets invited to a camp. Not every HS Coach has a lifeline to the College ranks. That leaves a lot of unidentified talent waiting for a break. Kirby gives it to em, and I love that.

IMO, BAMA and UGA are young NFL Teams at the College level. Some might wonder why I didn't include Notre Dame or OSU in that statement. In answering that question...let me ask one of my own...When is the last time, either one of those 2 teams, blew out a BAMA or UGA? Or, beat them, for that matter?

Look what The Dawgs did to the highly touted Michigan Team, with their 2 "NFL Quality edge rushers" (Hutchison & Ojabo), in the Cotton Bowl last year. While the "media" was gushing over Will Anderson and the 2 Michigan edge rushers...UGA was sitting on several guys that were arguably...much better players on both sides of the ball.

In 3 games last year, Anderson, Hutchison and Ojabo, accounted for a grand total of 9 Solo Tackles, 1 Sacks (a meaningless @ end of game) and 3 TFL. Not very impressive for a bunch of names being juggled for the Heisman Trophy. That's why I don't value the Heisman, near as much as I used to.

To put the above paragraph into perspective...Nolan Smith had: 8 TOT...5 solo...1 Sack...1 TFL...., in a single game vs Michigan and there are other examples.

It's been said that W. Anderson has been double & triple teamed this year, resulting in the falloff in his production. NOT TRUE...Fake News! Lol...I've seen their games with my own 2 eyes, watching Anderson. He is not drawing the double/triple teams being reported.

You want to see a double/triple team? Watch Jordan Davis last year or Jalen Carter, this year. Now those are double/triple teams. But, the geniuses up North, that evaluate Players and Coaches, don't have a clue, how teams, not named BAMA...or Coaches, not named Saban, stack up against their precious ND, OSU, OKLA, MICH, PENN ST, USC, UCLA...etc..

The South (SEC) needs to create their own personal Excellence and Achievement Awards...that are all-inclusive. Similar to the Heisman...which was named after a Ga Tech Coach that created the forward pass.

Most of the best players that ever played the game,, are indigenous to Ga.. Yet, how many Georgia players have won the award vs players from the likes of ND, MICH, OSU, etc..

They gave the award to a DB from Michigan in the '90's for god's sake (Woodson). The SEC just started raking em in over the last decade or so. The Yankee press will not give the Heisman to a southern player, this year...if they can help it...cause that's how they roll (see the 1940's).

Lol...excellence awards not really about excellence anymore. It's more like a pageant.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Mike...Kirby said, 'they're in pads Tue-Thur'.

Are they in "Full Pads"...full speed, on those 3 days? Or, are they in shorts, helmets and shoulder pads (shells), going 3/4 speed (thud) on Thursday? Just curious, if that is EVERY week or do they change it up from time-to-time, based on scheduled opponent?

If it's full pads, full speed on those 3 days...that's crazy. You need to have a lot of confidence in your backup players to do that. I think I've seen more injuries occur in practice than in any game.

That tells you a little something about the type of player, Kirby recruits.