Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Expanded 12-team playoff: 8 key points, Atlanta hosts first following 2024 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageExpanded 12-team playoff: 8 key points, Atlanta hosts first following 2024 season

ATHENS — The college football world is quaking and postseason sands are shifting with a newly expanded 12-team playoff set to arrive in 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why did they go with 12 instead of 8? Who forced that?

I don't think 12 makes a lick of sense. 3 and 4 are rarely competitive, much less 9-12.

Surely this is just an accommodation for some lesser quality program/conference that pitched a fit and for some reason has some clout.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Mainly for pac-(12) usually being left out. It just all goes back to money. Everybody wants a Cinderella. But it's gonna be rough for 5-12 if you're not built for a postseason. Should've left it at 8. That's too many games, gonna start shortening schedules, is what I'm leaning towards.

Example: 5-12 will all play 1 extra game. So max number of games could be 16-17. Big 12 champ: 9-4, #5 seed plays #12. Wins(10-4), plays #4 seed. Wins(11-4), plays #3 seed. Wins(12-4), plays for national championship. #s are just examples. Also, those 12 could also include the runner-ups in conference championships.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Again, the FCS already has a 24-team college football playoff.

What logic is behind not having 12 teams or even more? Where is the argument? I just don't get the reluctance for expanding the playoffs from anyone. I have yet to hear a valid argument. Even many high school football playoffs have more teams and more games than the FBS has currently.

The FBS college football universe is the outlier to almost every other college sports playoff conversation. The FBS players are not "special" and shouldn't be treated as better than any Div-II, FCS, or any other group of players. All those guys can end up in the NFL.

And guess what? They are ALL trying to determine who is the BEST team.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

More teams and more access mean more excitement for fans, alumni, students and student-athletes,” said Bill Hancock, the executive director of the College Football Playoff

Yeah, and more money in everyone's pockets. Twelve teams is absurd.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as the Dawgs wind up in the championship game, they can expand the playoffs to 112 teams for all I care. All the kids care about is NIL money. All the schools care about is TV money. All I care about is winning. We win, schools cash TV checks, players get paid, and everyone is happy. Until I hear Kirby Smart complaining about the structure -- and to my knowledge, he has not -- then I'm not going to complain, either. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No FCS conference championships. 10 game schedules. So really only equals out to about the same. Only a 16 game schedule, with playoffs.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I’m curious why they didn’t utilize 4 of the current bowl games for the first round. I’m sure the Capital One, Outback, Sun, Gator bowls, etc would have welcomed playoff opportunities, even on alternating year schedules. I realize playing on your home field is meant as a reward for teams that finish in the 5th-8th places, but why aren’t home fields utilized for the quarterfinals if it’s a “reward”. I’m sure the bowls I mentioned above are freaking-out because their pool of good opponents will be decreased by 8 teams. It would have been a win-win for everyone to play the first 4 games in existing bowls. The bowls would have packed their stadiums for a change and the players could have benefited from all the bowl game festivities associated with those games. Just a thought. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Set up seeding type brackets much like basketball. All trying to get a shot at the conference champions. This thing is going to get crazy...but probably very interesting and entertaining. You will likely see teams doubling down to win more games, beefing up their coaching staffs and facilities.....that in itself would be a good thing. Fans will get their money's worth and increase interest in their individual programs...no matter where they fall on the won-lost scale. I need to see how it plays out in 2024-25. Hard to visualize right now...at least for this old boy.

• Options
    edited December 2022

@kylnmeg10...Div-II has the same expanded playoff. If you are really worried about playing too many games in a 24-team playoff then cut out the 2-3 cupcake non-conference regular season games annually against those opponents like UAB, Kent State, etc. Those could easily be eliminated. Most fans would love for those to be eliminated - especially fans who buy season tickets. Our non-conference schedule next year is a joke after OK had to be eliminated. I'd love to get rid of all those patsy games and so would Kirby.

Otherwise, show your toughness and play the games. If not, just keep it at 12 teams in the FBS playoff and that would be apples-to-apples comparison in number of games played with FCS when including their playoffs. I'm fine with that. I just strongly believe FBS MUST expand further than 4 teams, and I don't understand the reluctance by so many people.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

@99nout They went with 12 because conferences wanted assurances of their conference champion being in -- that did not leave much room for teams beyond league champs

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Like I posted on another article about this CFP expansion yesterday, the decay of the regular season importance as well as the prestige of being conference champions in the best conferences in football begins in 2024.

Anyone that believes this will not water down college football is kidding themselves IMO. Of course I will still watch CFB and our Dawgs, but this may alter my current obsession with the game on Saturday’s for 5 months out of every year.

The naysayers that attack my opinion will say it makes the college game more exciting and more competitive have lost sight of the forest for the trees. It doesn’t make it more realistic for “lesser” teams to have a shot because, don’t forget, our Dawgs went over 38 years without a chance to play for a Natty at the end, yet NOT ONE SINGLE DAWG FAN from 1981 to 2016 will tell you that they didn’t believe they had a chance to win it while enduring all of those mediocre 8-4 or 9-3 seasons. Our Dawgs outside of Athens Georgia were considered one of the “lesser” teams while the USC’s and OSU’s and Alabama’s and Florida and Miami’s were considered “elite”.

This expansion beyond 6 or even 8 is just too many games.

I dislike that the value of some really big regular season games, not just in the SEC but elsewhere, and especially winning your division and conference is going to be devalued. I don’t think that is in the “best interest” of college football.

Why in the world would the Georgia’s and Oregon’s and Texas and Alabama’s schedule regular season games early or to begin a season against top notch competition to kickoff a season when they know they can squeak in to an expanded playoff of 12 teams playing a vanilla non-conference schedule with a 3 or possibly even 4 loss record?

This is simply a money grab and nothing else. That much is obvious to me, no matter how much the talking head blowhards try and say otherwise.

Just like around 2007 when CFB went from 18 bowl games up to 38 bowl games and now 40+ bowl games: they watered down bowl season to make it almost unbearable to watch any bowl game prior to Dec 30. This expansion is going to accomplish the same thing. No one outside of the particular 2 schools fan bases is going to take off work or adjust their lives around watching a #3 seed destroy a #12 seed at their home campus because it will be a blowout 75% of the time. Just look at the semifinal matchups the last 8 seasons! Sure, okay, you may have 1 game out of 6 or 7 be exciting, so what? That’s at a less than 20% clip!

One more thing that I know will also happen with this expansion: the amount of opt outs are going to double for NFL eligible players regardless if their team makes the top 12. I back up my statement by mentioning that the risk of injury will be multiplied with these extra games at the college level: so now instead of 1 spring game and 12 regular season games, it could go to as many as 16 games and that is an enormous amount of risk added for every single one of these CFB players in one season from 2023 to 2024.

But hey, that’s 100k more commercials they can shove down our throats, that’s $20 to $30 more these sports channel packages can charge to our already increasingly absurd cable and streaming bills; and already over-priced tickets on the secondary market! I guess that is one tradition that will not change: not caring about the fans. 😂🤬

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nothing really changes for us. The goal is to win and that doesn't change.

• Options
    edited December 2022

@Gibroni88....I do understand your points, but I look at the FCS 24-team playoff along with something similar in Div-II. Those playoffs are successful. Are you insinuating that their teams and playoffs are worth less than in the FBS? Many of those players will end up in the NFL just like those in the FBS. They all have important rivalry games, and I doubt players are opting out of the playoffs or scheduling easier games because of the playoffs. But if that happens, then so be it.

Right now, plenty of players in the FBS opt-out of non-CFP bowls. Plenty. Even CJ Stroud recently stated after the Michigan loss that he would not commit to playing in a non-CFP bowl. Add more teams in the playoffs then the logic tells you that many of those same guys would opt-IN instead of out.

Of course it's all about money. There's no debating that nor is it any kind of grand revelation. They are getting rid of divisions in most of the conferences and keeping Conference Championships because of 2 reasons: 1) matchup of #1 vs #2 team in a conference makes for a better game and 2) MORE REVENUE. Look at the SEC Championship game and the B1G Championship game. Like the divisions, they are both very lopsided matchups this year with a 3-loss LSU team and a 4-loss Purdue team. Get rid of divisions in conferences and you will always have #1 vs. #2.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Gibroni88 Before I comment on the topic I want to apologize to you. I got really sarcastic and went way over board in comments to you a while back and I’m sorry. I’m Very passionate about the Dawgs. And very opinionated. All to many times TO opinionated. So I hope you’ll accept my apologies. Wow !! And just Wow !! You preached it here !! It IS All about the Almighty $$$ !! And for all those entities you just named here. BUT I’m an addict for CFB, more Especially our Dawgs. P.T. Barnum said: “There’s a sucker born every day”. Guess Ole P.T. was talking about Me Lol !! Because I’ll watch. And I’ll pony up the $$ to watch if I can. I confess again I’m an addict. But speaking For Me, the CFB Playoff Committee seems to struggle mightily to get a four team play off right !! How in the world will they come close to getting a 12 team play off right ?? Beats me for sure. Imho it just takes an already sticky issue and makes it even worse !! Hope You and family have a Great post season watching our beloved Dawgs in action and from Me and My family to You and yours, We Wish You A Very Merry Christmas !! Let’s hope Kirby brings us another Natty on his sleigh !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@navydawg

Apology accepted and reciprocated as well, my friend!

I get heated as well sometimes but I do not mean anything personal and, like you, am passionate and very opinionated about our Dawgs.

As for the playoff, I will continue to watch as well. I am just of the opinion that this is beginning to be a bit too much and just like traditions I enjoyed in my decades in the US Navy, I think this new format is going to water down my favorite sport and take away from the excitement and drama of the regular season SEC and non-SEC rivalry games.

CFB is making Billions hand over fist, stop all this tinkering. And I also am of the belief that these college kids should not have their risk of injury increased by having to play 15 to 16 games in 5 months. This is supposed to be “Collegiate” Football, not pro football or the NFL. No thanks. Stop letting corporate uber-greedy powers from completely monetizing every **** thing in this sport and ruining all of the traditions and sportsmanship and rivalries along the way.

It is like the analogy once Disney gets ahold of an entertainment product that didn’t originate with them, what happens?

they Disneyfy it. IOW they RUIN it.

• Options

@MontanaDawg Just wanted to say that regardless of everyone’s take on this Including mine, Right, Wrong, or In Between it’s coming in 2024. So like the NIL Deals that I’m not all that big a fan of, we all about as well face the reality of it it’s at this point a done deal. Many people like ME have a difficult time with what they (Me) see as radical change. But in most cases their (My) love of the game over comes and they gradually accept it. I’m sure I will to. Been a Dawgs fan for far to long to stop now. I can’t think of many things that would make me completely cut Dawgs football out of my life. There are a few, I Won’t go there !! But I can’t in my worse nightmares see those things happening. SO regardless of what the NCAA and/or the SEC come up with I’ll be right there watching and reading every thing Dawgs that I possibly can Lol !! Along with hundreds of thousands if not millions of other Dawgs fans. The Dawgs is really the only sport I care about for the last, gosh years and years. I gave up on the Falcons a long time ago. Gave up on the Hawks longer than that. And have a luke warm interest in the Braves. Very casual interest in them. But I’m rabid about our Dawgs Lol !! If this move to 12 team playoffs doesn’t Help the Dawgs I sure hope it doesn’t Hurt them in any manner. I’m just leary of most CFB sports media and their influence on the Playoff Committee coupled with their heated love affair with Ohio St., Michigan, and Notre Dame. Year after year in most cases unless it would just be Completely and Utterly ridiculous they try so hard to plug those three teams in. But seem to have a disdain for our Dawgs. That is Until our Dawgs throw pie in their faces by continued winning which would make them look s t u p i d on a National basis if they didn’t include the Dawgs. When they See the Dawgs start winning allot, Then they flip flop and start with the “Oh the Dawgs are great” Blah, Blah !! But it’s fairly easy to see their hating every second of Having to say that Lol !! SO I’ll close by saying our Dawgs just need to keep winning and winning and winning !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

There’s much wisdom in what you’ve said. And I think that the fears you and I have are shared by many, many, people. With the exception of the service academies ( and even with them to some degree) Traditions have been totally disbanded. And your right as rain this IS College Football NOT the NFL, which is one of the primary reasons I watch it. But it never ever fails MONEY will come in and dictate pretty much Every Thing. And that’s the True bottom line on this. The Money. These people in power don’t care a pinch of powder about these young players, they really don’t care about you and me as fans, As Long As we keep forking over the Money to watch. Honestly it’s getting pretty Sickening to me how pretty much Every Thing in this country is being watered down. Dawgs football For Me and probably for you and for countless other fans is a means to escape from the insanity of life for a precious little while. BUT as usual the greedy folks see an opportunity to dig All The Deeper into the average typical College Football fan’s wallet so here they come !! I guess because I Do love the sport so much I’m part of the problem. But College Football is rapidly going the way of the NFL and other pro sports where they will make the players gods instead of mere mortal human beings. And they want you and I and all the other avid fans to Pay Dearly for the opportunity to watch these gods. Sad. Thank You for your dedicated and honorable service to our country. I’m one of three brothers ( I’m the middle brother but I’m smarter and more handsome than the other two Lol ) that were honored and privileged to serve in the Navy. Back when Noah was an Admiral Lol !! God Bless and Protect You and your family. I’m pretty sure that like me and my two brothers you probably get very nauseated with many things you see happening in our country. And it’s been sinking for a Long time. Sad. Well let’s enjoy those things we Do have. And let’s hope Kirby and Co. can bring home a SECCG trophy and yet another National Title and trophy. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do we really need a 16 team playoff? I’m afraid we’ll see too many first round blowouts, eg UGA-TCU or Bama-Cincy. These were blowouts in a 4 team playoff. We easily could have playoff games with matchups like UGA-Troy and OhioSt-Fresno. At least give the top 2-4 teams a bye so we don’t end up with silly mismatches.