Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What USC loss means for 2022 College Football Playoff picture

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as I get frustrated with the bias on ESPN. I hate to see Ole Bear Fallica moving on. He’s been a fixture of GameDay since 1996. Wish him the best. And it’s really good to see Lee Corso sounding like he feels better. I don’t think they ever said what was specifically wrong with him, but my wife and I believe he might have had a mild ****.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec....yes, I have to agree with you on those points. He never developed a solid defense for years at Oklahoma, but that was the MO at most all Big-12 schools. Run-shoot-offenses and the last to score wins. The Dawgs beat OK under Riley pretty handily. Now at USC, he does the same thing. I don't know how you can expect to be consistently successful and elite at a program without a solid defense. And you certainly won't win a Natty without it. I'm not expecting TCU to survive the playoffs as their defense is porous.

• Options

Don’t know how many of you might be watching GameDay but they just had a special vid clip on Stetson. Look I Know that Stetson can be very frustrating at times with his inconsistent play, But I love the kid. I just Gotta. I mean I know his story has been told over and over and I Most Assuredly Know that he’s had Allot of help from all elements of the team. It Is after all a Team sport. But even his Nay Sayers must be compelled to acknowledge his successes along with his failures. Stetson Has Indeed all in all made a significant contribution to helping put these Dawgs in position to win the SECCG and Another Natty. Win or Lose ( I MUCH Prefer to Win) I Love and Appreciate Stetson AND this entire Dawgs Team !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

After a season of playing and whoopin up on cupcakes, most of the times... and then top it all off with the humiliation in the Shoe......Bama is clearly the better team and should get the 4th seed.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."........Stetson Bennett IV is the only current player that has exemplified the Heisman standard since he walked on at UGA.....He's not perfect, but without SBIV ,The Dawgs would not be where they are today!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

LRiley is an overrated coach. It is much easier to win when your team is better than the other team. Riley's OK teams were usually better than everyone else in the BIG12. He had the QB's and CFB is a QB league. If you have a good one and can protect him you have a good chance to win. Every time.

But make no mistake. USC is a sleeping giant. CA is absolutely LOADED with HS football talent. LA/SoCal is a great area to live in (for free as a CFB player). NIL potential in LA is off the charts. What better place for these young players to build their brand than in Tinsel Town? And close to home. USC is now a primary destination school.

It also helps that Riley has the rep as a young, imaginative, proven CFB coach. Whether deserved or not. Going to the BIG10 is curious but understandable. BIG10 schools are getting the biggest paychecks for the conference's TV rights. A lot of money involved. BUT traveling from the west coast for games and the probability of many more cold weather/bad condition games can't be that appealing to the players.

USC easily has the makings of a top 5 program. Making the CFB PO in Riley YR1 would have improved the recruiting buzz but Riley still has CWilliams for another year and has signed a 5* QB in the '23 class. The trajectory is way up.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent post.

the defensive effort from USC is very much the reason the Trojans lost on Friday night.

I was unaware the USC played defense.

Utah's secondary was clearly coached by Willie Martinez and was terrible, but USC would have lost to Florida or Kentucky or Missouri all of whom have at least heard of defense and realize the game is called tackle football.

USC shouldn't have been ranked in the top 25. What a bunch of pussīes. (Their quarterback being the exception.)

I am not one of those people who doesn't like the Alabama team or their program or their coach. They are generally a credit to the game in my view. However...

Alabama's entitled fans flat out sück.

Alabama should refuse to play in the playoffs if the stùpid committee is stûpid enough to include them. If the committee puts Alabama in, God forbid, all the other teams should forfeit or refuse to play. Failing that anybody playing them should run the score up on them so bad that Nick Saban retires at halftime.

Certainly it is now true, always has been true, and will remain true that any team can beat you on any given Saturday, so we can't rule anything out, but this season's Charlie Foxtrot rankings and matchups have absolutely unmasked the biases in college football, the refs, the media, and the fans. Nobody is entitled to anything. Being a media darling means nothing on the field of play. College football is becoming a lousy television mini series as fast as the committee and the media and the money grubbers can make it happen.

Are we going to have to learn to watch soccer? At least give us rugby.

Thank God for Kirby. The fruits of his coaching tree and his Dawgs may save college football.

Utah seems to understand that football is a team sport and that defense wins championships and that you win or lose in the trenches.

A special playoff game should be established to reward USC. Let them play South Carolina.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What in the world are you talking about? I own it? I own what? I hope it is valuable.

I said that I believed alabama would sneak into the playoffs and you have somehow made me, a University of Georgia Class of '87 graduate of the Terry College of Business, an alabama fan? I'm not quite sure what it is I deflected because I still see that possibility.

I appreciate you quoting yourself but so what? It's actually kind of sad that you need to skim through old posts to validate yourself but whatever. I guess you own that. But, since we decided to go into the way way back machine, here is my quote from November 22 that for some reason set you off: "Amazing. Alabama is going to get back in. Just….. amazing." I'm pretty sure that is not a supportive comment of alabama. Anyone reading properly would see that as a knock against the committee.

However, that does not change my comments about how I could see alabama sneaking in. Having them at 6 leaves a door that should never have been there for them. And the USC you would have loved to see us play lost so that door opens a bit more so, until Sunday when the final selections are made I will continue to believe in the alabama bias and anyone that does not is kidding themselves. I don't want them in because they do not deserve it but I put nothing past.

Again, it's sad you feel the need to validate yourself against nothing but hey, you ❤️it so have fun.

• Options

My wife and I though that Lee might have had a mild s t r o k e. That is Not a **** word !! The word restrictions on this site are a little To restrictive !! I get trying to inhibit **** language but the settings need to be adjusted a little imho. But back on point I’m so glad to see Ole Lee feeling better. As far as I know ( could be wrong) he’s part of the very first College GameDay on ESPN. I certainly don’t always agree with his takes, but I’ve come to love and appreciate the Ole Feller !! God Bless him !!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@87dawg

Okay, here is your response, Mr. “Terry College of Business” graduate:

because Alabama has never been given extra consideration…. again, possible and voila! Alabama is in. 

So sure, I see where you get “zero” chance.

You had to be dismissive and a smartass to another fellow Dawg fan with your last sentence response.

THAT is the reason.

And no, I never believed you were a Bama Homer or anything other than another fellow Dawg fan. Had you been a little bit more tactful and less of a 💩 head responding when disagreeing with me, then we wouldn’t be here going back and forth.

There was never “a door” for them once Alabama took their second loss. Not with at the time 5 one loss teams ahead or on par with their ranking and 3 undefeated teams ahead of them as well AND no chance of them playing for their Conference title. Hell, the SEC west was secured 3 weeks ago! That second SEC loss sealed their fate back on November 5th. no way they were getting in, back door or otherwise. When they pulled that Houdini trick in 2017 of not winning the West and getting in they only had one loss. Otherwise that would not have happened either.

Good day to you, Mr. Terry College of Business alumnus.

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Alumnus, not almuni. I am one person. (I see you edited your post to properly word it "alumnus").

You have a serious problem. This has become silly and weird. I don't know your issue nor do I care. You are a nut.