Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,526 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

Sure would be something if JT ended up back at UGA! Hope not for the other QB's that have been waiting for their turn and very patiently. Extremely Admirable. That being said, JT knows the offense well and could possibly be the starter. Enjoy that food for thought...

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg

If you look at the QBs that Smart is now recruiting, pocket passers like JT Daniels don't fit what Smart and Monken want to do with the offense.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson BEck is the air apparent to the QB throne. He certainly has made it look relatively easy when he's had his opportunities. Now if he has the right internal makeup we will be on to something. If not then I look for GS to take over.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What about Brock Vandagriff? He's big, he's mobile, and he can zip the ball far and accurately like nobody's business. Plus he's a year ahead of Stockton. Am I missing something?

• Options
    dawgforevadawgforeva Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Your recent update states that we don't lose any wide receivers to graduation this year. What about Kearis Jackson? He's listed as a Senior on the roster.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dante Cephas looks really good to stretch the field, Rara Thomas capable and tough. JT good protection At UGA not so at West Va., high football IQ can make fast adjustments at the line. I think we're set with QBs though. Go Dawgz.😎

• Options

@Kconnorriley (and anybody else for that matter): I'd love to get more insights the transfers we may be seeking, and our possible transfer strategy. I know it's early, and I'm not questioning Kirby & company. But I'm just trying to understanding what's going on a bit better. Examples:

• Seems like we're already set up to be very deep at WR next year. But we're still missing that proven separation guy. Would RaRa and Cephas bring that dimension to our receiving corpsl? I thought that, if we were to offer a WR through the TP, it'd be for a top playmaker near the level Jordan Addison or Mario Williams. Seems like we continued to stockpile very good WRs but aren't looking for great ones. What's going on there?
    • Do you think we'll go QB hunting? I'd hate to undermine the three promising QBs already on the roster, but there's a good chance one of them will transfer, and we don't have a '23 QB coming in. So keeping an eye on the portal would seem to make sense. Which QBs out there might make sense for us? Leary? Uiagalelei? Hudson Card?
    • If Milton leaves, we'll have a similar question about depth at RB -- and only one incoming '23 RB, who was something of a fallback. Would it be feasible to flip Justice Haynes or, say, Reuben Owens? Or should we be looking to the TP to fill the gap?
    • More broadly, where do you think our needs are most pronounced? Aside from the positions above, maybe outside LB? OT?

It'd be great to get some insights from the reporters at DN on these kinds of questions about the TP. It's too early to know all the answers but it'd be good to see an informed discussion.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do not believe non-mobile JT will be returning. I see mobile Beck and back-up Brock, if Brock stays? If not, mobile Gunner as back-up. I do not see Gunner leapfrogging Brock if he stays. Portal for QB...hard to know. It will be interesting for sure. I do see the portal possibly for a running back. It is hard to second guess Kirby. I do think he may be using the portal more. Got some top guns leaving.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

The UGA players read about their team. Nothing productive comes from talking about who might be coming in to take your position during the preparation time for the biggest game of the year. Right now, the coaching staff is trying to keep everyone focused on the next game. Just like they did all year. Only this time UGA faces its biggest test against its toughest competition.

CKS prefers to develop from within but may plug in an experienced need in a spot or 2. Based on what we know about CKS he is certainly not going to announce anything. And it isn't likely to be a major splash (based on the 2 wr's who have been "offered").

There is only 1 job now. Beat OSU.

Frankly the 2nd TP window should have the better candidates to offer. Take the QB's out of the discussion (UGA has 3 they hope to keep). Those will be the guys that stuck with their teams and fought for jobs in spring practice. Not the NIL shopping guys, guys looking for guarantees, malcontents, dismissed guys or bench warmers with no chance to play at their current schools.

For the record UGA will have 2 "new" RB's available for next season. Roderick Robinson and Andrew Paul. As for QB, my money will be on BVG. Think about it. BVG is SBIV on steroids. Bigger, faster, bigger arm, more athletic, stronger, more physical. He brings more to the table than CBeck (w/more remaining eligibility) and can play a very similar game to SBIV. BVG catches and surpasses CBeck this spring.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, not Tray Scott to ARK please. Not Mcgee to anywhere either.

Auburn and ARK, and dang GT, all of ya, stay away from UGA. Go get Bama coaches OK? Or even better, Tenn and FL coaches OK? Ok then

• Options

"Man, not Tray Scott to ARK please." Yeah, that was reaction, too. Scott has done an incredible job recruiting AND developing DL talent. Not to long ago, DLs were the weakest levels of our offenses. For the last couple of years, they've been among the best in the country.

On Monken: Have y'all listened to that YouTube of him? Really impressive. I'm particularly impressed that he shares credit so generously with others. That says to me that he's confident in himself in just the way that you'd want for a mentor to players and to the young coaches.

I hate to say that I'm glad that Monken isn't going to Purdue. I do wonder if his age -- he's around 56 -- and the fact that he's committed to stay at UGA through the playoffs make it more difficult for him to be hired.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you make a great point about Brock Vandagriff. He does have a lot of skills that are similar to Bennett, but more of it. If I'm not mistaken, he and Beck have the same amount of remaining eligibility because Beck gets an additional year for COVID (2020). This Spring should prove to be very interesting with 3 very capable QB's competing for the job. Regardless of who wins out, I believe UGA will have a very strong offense that doesn't fall off from the impressive year they are currently having.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t say Faulkner left for greener pastures. The NATS can’t be considered greener pasture, muddy waters maybe. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Leave Bouie in the portal... he already stiffed us once, and was suspended at TAM... I'd rather we develop and play the studs already in our DB stable. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have not seen anything so far from Brock V that he knows when to add and when to take away on his throws. From past SP games he throws everything one speed(hard). He wants to look for his 1st read then pick up and run. SB was accused of doing this early on by some on here, but BV takes it to the next level, plus the game obviously slowed down for SB, as it could fror BV.

CB has looked very comfortable coming in and tossing it around, though one could argue why shouldn't he, UGA was up big time when he came in. Fair enough but at least I trusted him he wouldn't do anything **** and the coaches obviously felt the same. Not so with BV.

Of course SP will determine alot next spring and who knows how everything shakes out? I feel very bullish on CB at the moment. NOt based on being biased(I have none concerning who is up next) but on the eye test. That said, I know CKS and CTm wil chosse the one who gives them the best chance to win, based on them choosing SB over JT when I believed it was the other way around. It takes a real man to admit he was wrong, :) so there, that's my virtue signaling for today! Go Dawgs!