Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The 4 Georgia players that will determine outcome of CFP Peach Bowl Semifinal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,481 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageThe 4 Georgia players that will determine outcome of CFP Peach Bowl Semifinal

ATHENS — Kirby Smart knows his Georgia football team better than anyone, and he admits it’s a tough team to figure.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking strictly from a “I don’t know a **** thing about coaching” perspective, which I don’t, I still feel Darnell has been underutilized this year and could be a game changer. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

One thing to point out, UGA's offense only scored 28 on LSU in the 1st half. Defense scored the other 7. But yeah it's definitely been an intriguing year to say the least. Idk if a lot of those games we looked ahead to the next game or as quoted, played down to the competition. Then we ran wild on good teams. Definitely a year not for the faint of heart. And yes I totally agree with comment about under the utilizing of darnell. Plus it doesn't help when somehow the quoted "bad stetson" missed wide open throws to him.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually I think it comes down to the 11 players on defense and 11 players on offense…not just 4 players!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

The beauty of the UGA O is in its diversity. SBIV , when "on", can spread the ball around to any of 5 different guys on any play. And they all have been effective.

BUT IF UGA is to bludgeon OSU into submission it will be behind an OL with a grudge and the downhill running of KMilton. As I suggested pre-season, having Milton (and DWash) on a pitch count to minimize his injury chances and preserve his health for a title run was brilliant and will now pay the dividend. Milton ran well vs LSU. He may get a few more chances this week.

Also, KJackson has been mysteriously underutilized all season. He is due to break out. I have a feeling we'll see more of KJackson this week. Same can be said for DWashington. Though no mystery there. Aim was to keep him healthy and allow him time to get in shape.

THE key is SBIV. UGA doesn't win this game on 1 play. It will take a focused 60 min penalty free, error free, max effort game to eliminate OSU. No "boneheaded" (CKS) plays and UGA advances..

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

These four players mentioned in the article have definitely been major difference-makers for the Dawgs all season. Every position group is made up of potential difference-makers for this game. There is so much talent and experience throughout this team that it’s just as likely to be someone else, such as a healthy Ladd McConkey or A.D. Mitchell. Maybe Darnell Washington, or Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint (two very talented, but under utilized pass catchers). The defensive side is full of playmakers, and the Dawgs will need all of them playing their best, like Mondon and Dumas-Johnson in the middle. The edge rushers led by Beal, and Bullard blitzing from the secondary. It goes without saying that Ringo, Lassiter, and Starks will be tested, but with sufficient pressure on the quarterback, they will pass the test. This is playoff football, and everybody has to be ready to be a difference maker.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20

UGA can't do a downhill running game when there is no option (and by this I mean traditional option like the veer, wishbone and I-bone and not RPO nonsense) and no threat of a downhill passing game. UGA uses reverses and short passes to replace the downhill running game. Kirby Smart openly admits as such, though there would be no point in denying it. UGA's not having much going in that department dating back to last year is why UGA's RB recruiting has struggled recently. We can only hope that the vertical passing - and with it the downhill running game - returns next season with the QB change.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

If there is 1 thing UGA tried to do this year it was run down hill. Not always with success but not always with a healthy Milton. Monken has been criticized often here for running dive (downhill) after dive after dive this season. Especially when UGA was running clock. Even with mixed results.

You obviously didn't watch the SECCG, Milton ran downhill vs LSU for 8/113 14.1 ypc. DEdwards ran 12/77 6.4 ypc. That sounds pretty downhill to me. And LSU has an SEC D. OSU does not. Milton being healthy does not bode well for OSU. You can bet UGA will try to beat down OSU and get them to wear out and quit as long as UGA isn't playing catch up.

What CKS admits to the media and what he thinks are rarely the same thing. Football 101. Milton's and Washington's touches were controlled this year so that they would both be healthy for this game.

SBIV has struggled with the vertical passing game. Part of that was SBIV's shoulder and part was ASmith and ADM being out. All those things no longer exist. As I said the beauty of the UGA O is in its diversity. Pick what you want to stop and UGA can execute another way to beat you.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20 - "The beauty of the UGA O is in its diversity."

Absolutely, running game not going well, OK we'll just pass it around some to loosen things up a bit. Passing game not clicking yet, we'll do some end arounds, some tosses to the backs, and pull our guards and run it. Both parts going well, you got no chance!