Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia’s Jack Podlesny accepts all-star game invite, not returning for 2023 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia’s Jack Podlesny accepts all-star game invite, not returning for 2023 season

ATHENS — Georgia kicker Jack Podlesny is apparently ready to try out for the NFL after this season in what’s considered a deep year at his position.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mcshay. Hmmm... More anonymous sources?

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Low risk for injury, I'm a little surprised JP 's not coming back for another year of playing the game he loves in a town where it doesn't get any better. Wishful thinking, I suppose. Maybe he's thinking this year's sats were as good as he can get, and if he has any shot in The League, he'd better leverage that. With college degree already in hand, hope he lands on an NFL roster in 2023 and gives it a good run. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just assumed this was his last year. I didn’t realize he was expected to play for UGA next year.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kind of expected Podlesny to go. I suppose he hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate enormous range on FGs but his kickoffs show plenty of leg strength. He really doesn't have a lot more to prove. Plus he's graduated.

There's a good argument for Van Pran returning. A lot of good centers will go into the draft this year, which means that: a) he could drop down on the boards, and b) he'll have a chance to really stand out in 2023. Totally understand why he'd want to go. But we're going to lose our experienced tackles and he's such a good OL leader -- sure would be nice to have him back!

Milton seems like the easiest call, IMO. If he returns, he'll be the man next year. And running the way he recently has, he could break 1,000 yards next year. Plus, he already has a rep for getting injured; although there's always a risk, it might benefit him to demonstrate that he can go through a full year without a major injury.

Maybe, I'm rationalizing on those last two DGDs, but I'd love to see both of them step into even greater roles next year!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CandlerPark

No UGA tailback has come anywhere near 1000 yards since Monken was hired. Granted 2020 was a difficult season for putting up stats, but 2021 was a 15 game season and 2022 has been 13 games so far against a clearly down SEC and an easy OOC schedule. I agree that Milton should come back, but there is nothing that indicates that he would surpass Zamir White's 850 yards if he did. Instead UGA is likely to rotate Milton and Edwards just as it was the plan to rotate Milton and McIntosh this year, and just as White and Cook rotated last year. Plus UGA is certain to give Robinson more opportunities.

Anyone who has seen Cook with the Bills this season knows that he clearly had 1st round ability like his brother. He would likely be the Bills' starting RB already if he didn't have issues fumbling the ball early in the season - likely due to his not carrying it very much in college - and will definitely be their starting RB next year, making him an absolute steal as the last pick of the 2nd round. If Cook never reached 750 rushing yards in Athens I can't see Milton - who has less ability than Cook - doing it unless UGA changes either their scheme or philosophy on offense. But if UGA wins back-to-back national titles, I don't see why they would make any changes. Even if/when Monken gets a promotion, Smart is certain to insist that his successor run the same scheme, and he may even promote from within - or hire Buster Faulkner back from Georgia Tech which is essentially the same thing - to make sure of it.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points, @thadec. Still, I've always liked Milton and have been very impressed at how well he's run recently -- 12 carries for 167 yards in the last two games.

He's ain't as shifty as Cook, but he combines power and breakaway speed that I think is more devastating than Zeus. His durability remains a question; but he's never had any injury as devastating as Zeus' two ACLs.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we win a second Natty, I'd be OK if everyone who is eligible to leave goes ahead and does so. Let these youngsters get out there and shine because they will still be hungry to prove they can do it, too, as opposed to just trying to show off for NFL scouts while simultaneously trying to avoid injury. Milton, Van Pran, Podlesny, etc., they've all been DGD's. Time to leave the next and see what the next generation of DGD's can do. Go Dawgs!