Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN. I only watch games now. I just think..................

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The commentators are getting way out over their skis thinking we care about what they think about the world. I tune in for sports not their personal agendas.

Comments

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It really is getting bad. We watch sports to get away from world issues... the same reason my wife watches movies, only sports are less predictable at times.

Everybody wants to be Costas and Gumble...

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. I don't think they understand that sports is nothing but entertainment. No different than going to a movie.

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    I agree. I don't think they understand that sports is nothing but entertainment. No different than going to a movie.

yup... but my wife doesn't quite understand that either...

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had to stop watching political news on TV because the whole thing just became so politicized, aka partisan in political vernacular. I just felt like my mind was being turned to mush listening to that stuff. Now the politicization is spilling over into where I sought refuge from that nonsense....

I really wish more people in the media would learn how to tell a joke. Then they’d have something to say that we wanted to hear. Instead of having to fill air time with their inane rants.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    I had to stop watching political news on TV because the whole thing just became so politicized, aka partisan in political vernacular. I just felt like my mind was being turned to mush listening to that stuff. Now the politicization is spilling over into where I sought refuge from that nonsense....

I really wish more people in the media would learn how to tell a joke. Then they’d have something to say that we wanted to hear. Instead of having to fill air time with their inane rants.

Howard Cossell and Walter Cronkite would be ashamed of what is happening right now in media.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

It's the same reason I stop watching award shows like the Oscar's. I don't care about their political views.

• Options

@levander said:

But half of the population would get offended with each joke.
    "Why are the chickens being forced to cross the road?!?! This is capitalism taking over and building too many roads in the first place! We should build chicken-only overpasses!"

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have said this for quite some time. I just want to watch Sports in the morning. ESPN reminds me of the old MTV when they did away with music videos. I am up at 6:15 and leave the house by 7:00. With all their dadgum commercials, they may show 20 minutes of anything...and when they do, it's human interest pieces about a dog that joined some dude on an ultra marathon, or something like that, and would not leave his side and now lives with him. I just want to know about the final score of some games with...maybe...a highlight or 2. I have now switched to the MLB channel as they show highlights. I don't give a duck's butttt about who stood and didn't for the National Anthem. SHOW SOME DANG SPORT'S HIGHLIGHTS!

Phew...I feel better. Thanks.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    It really is getting bad. We watch sports to get away from world issues... the same reason my wife watches movies, only sports are less predictable at times.

Gumbel

Gumble

• Options

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@bmauldin said:

Gumbel

Gumble

Lol

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Injecting politics into everything, not just sports, is the main reason I became a cord cutter long ago. I don't watch ball games at all anymore. I listen to Georgia football on the radio and enjoy doing so. ESPN, CNN and all those cable networks can keep their BS, I ain't paying another penny for it.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

Tell that to Muhammad Ali, when he saw African Americans getting their heads bashed in or little black girls getting bombed in Birmingham Alabama. Should he have just shut up and and performed his sport ?

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@pgjackson said:

yup... but my wife doesn't quite understand that either...

Yeah, black athletes and people who commentate (the liberal media) on them should just shut up, so that we can be entertained. Yeah right, get outta here with that narrow minded thinking. Sports have always been political, sorry its such an inconvenience to you. It's an incovience to get shot or hung just for being black. But, yeah athletes should just focus on ball and keep the masses entertained.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Too bad this thread is on the Football Forum.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think disrespecting the symbol of our nation is ignorant, and I don’t need espn telling me how wrong I am. guess I’m a nazi as well. I’ll just to back to Oppressing everyone that doesn’t look like me. I can’t help it though right? I’m just inherently evil and white. Maybe this forum is the next thing I give up on. I can live like @FredBear and just listen to Scott Howard.

This discussion has been closed.