Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Ladd McConkey, Warren McClendon comment on their injury status for Ohio State contest

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageLadd McConkey, Warren McClendon comment on their injury status for Ohio State contest

ATLANTA — If you want specifics on how Ladd McConkey and Warren McClendon, that’ll be a question for head coach Kirby Smart. Both players spoke to the media on Thursday morning ahead of the game against Ohio State but neither commented on their availability for Saturday’s game against Ohio State.

Read the full story here

Comments

• traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

OK, is it just me or was that headline very misleading?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

McClendon's injury vs LSU presents a very interesting predicament for UGA. IF McClendon is NOT 100% (MCL's can take up 6 wks) is it better to let him back up Mims and hope he is not needed? OR start or rotate McClendon and hope he doesn't aggravate the injury and make him unavailable for the CFBCG should UGA advance?

I think Mims has to start and you will only see McClendon rotate in if the game is close. Otherwise you risk having a championship caliber back up for the championship game. 37 game starting experience is tough to give up at this point of the season. Predicament.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Headline:

“Ladd McConkey, Warren McClendon comment on their injury status for Ohio State contest”

Second sentence:

“Both players spoke to the media on Thursday morning ahead of the game against Ohio State but neither commented on their availability for Saturday’s game against Ohio State. “

I’m not sure if there is a difference between “injury status” and “availability”, but I guess it doesn’t matter because this article doesn’t provide either.

GO DAWGS!

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 456 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

interesting. Connor either appreciates the feedback or hasn’t read the comments. If Mike wrote this, everyone would have a vote down for pointing out the contradiction.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Mims & McLendon situation reminds me of Jones taking Salyer's place in last year's championship. Let's hope Amarius proves himself just as well as Broderick did!

And just like Jones, he'll be looked at to be a key starter next year. His size alone makes his potential upside even higher!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I see what y'all are saying about this article, I do. But if you're still looking to an article for specific, reliable information on the injury status of key Georgia players at this point, that's pretty much on you. It will never be anything but vague coachspeak as long as Smart is leading the program. And that's fine. He has his reasons, and no amount of transparency will ever change the status of those players anyway. The information will be apparent come gameday (or at the very least, soon afterward), and he's not going to give up whatever advantage he sees in keeping it out of the public just so our curiosity can be satisfied a little sooner.

Frankly, I'm surprised the general topic even comes up anymore. Whoever the player, whatever the injury, it'll be what it'll be.

Sure, the headline is click bait, but you can't be surprised to have found no information by the time you were done reading.

We’re all very aware of how CKS handles information about injuries, and it’s exactly the way you have described it. We weren’t naively “looking to an article for specific, reliable information on the injury status of key Georgia players”, we simply read an article (as we read all of them) that stated in the headlines that it contained injury information from the players themselves. We then commented (as we do most of them) that within the first two sentences it states that those players actually didn’t comment on their injury status. We’ve been around long enough to know not to expect this information, but it’s still irresponsible journalism to publish such an article. I rarely post a critical comment toward the DawgNation Staff, but this was just so blatantly irresponsible I couldn’t help it.

GO DAWGS!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, I understand that. I guess we just react differently to the expected. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I only saw this as a garden variety say-nothing article about Georgia injuries, hardly anything to comment on in and of itself. I looked through it just to see if by some off chance there might be some actual information in it, but quickly saw that it was exactly what I expected and scrolled down to the comments since I was here. I don't see how it makes any difference that the commentary was coming from players who are, yes, coached by Smart; I don't see why that would change anyone's expectations about what would be said.

And again, I have to agree that it was a cheap, misleading headline. But it should have only actually misled anyone who isn't very aware of how CKS handles information about injuries.

What can I say, I simply have very low expectations for free articles that aren't even proofread. Sorry if I'm coming off as a little abrasive; I don't mean to be. Just as you couldn't help but comment on the article, I couldn't help but comment on the comments.

It’s all good, you haven’t offended anyone and I have no intentions of offending you. I read your comments and they are never distasteful or offensive. You are right about the article, and what we can expect to hear from the UGA Football Program. I guess the purpose for my original comment is to challenge the writer (if he cares to read it) to explain the article.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Regardless of what this article states, McConkey, McClendon and Mitchell will all play in this game. How much remains to be seen.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know these guys (DN Staff) are hustling to get content, but these aren’t novella-length articles. There really is no excuse for not proofreading and preserving at least a little bit of journalistic integrity.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are spot-on @GoodOlDawg. I think that 99 percent of the people who come to this site do so with the expectation that we will get something we can't get on their own -- information about our beloved Dawgs. If a writer intentionally writes an article not to provide that information, or be misleading about it, then why should we bother with the site? We already knew nothing about McConkey's and McClendon's injury status, so there was simply no need for this article. At first, I thought Connor missed a golden opportunity to get at least SOME direct information from the players because (I thought) he interviewed them in person (info such as have they practiced at all?, do THEY expect to play at all?, are they still in any pain?, etc). But then it occurred to me that it's very possible that Connor didn't interview them in person and merely got their quotes from a "pool" report that is available to any credentialed journalist covering the game, and just used that to throw this "article" together for page views.