Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit makes bold claim about Georgia football: Get ready for ‘We want Georgia’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,428 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirk Herbstreit makes bold claim about Georgia football: Get ready for ‘We want Georgia’

Kirk Herbstreit didn’t take the bait. He didn’t want to compare Georgia to Alabama, despite being asked numerous times how the current Georgia program stacks up to that of what Nick Saban has built at Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is old he has been saying that since gameday when we were playing GT

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

What Saban has done will never be duplicated. The rules have been changed to the point that it is completely different and much harder (impossible). Players are not held to a program by the old transfer rules. AND NIL is allowing other, big and deep pocketed universities to buy players and recruits. PLUS there are just more very good players being developed. Spreading the talent around and leveling the playing field.

Just like the dominance of basketball by UCLA basketball under John Wooden has become extinct so will the dominance of AL football (or anyone) going forward (especially after CNS). Proliferation of widespread HS football talent and (mainly) rule changes ensures that winning 6 championships in 14 years will not occur again.

Still probably a good bet to take AL (as long as CNS is there recruiting #1 classes) vs the field next season, the probability of AL (or anyone) duplicating a championship virtually every other year is very low.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is Rat Poison! Anything to blur the sights. UGA must set its sights on beating TCU like a puppy Monday night and win its second National Title in a row. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

"What Saban has done will never be duplicated. The rules have been changed to the point that it is completely different and much harder (impossible)." UGADad20

@UGADad20 Never say never my friend! Kirby is savy enough and young enough that anything is possible with him. And you can bet that beating any of Saban's records is on his radar.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They probably said "If you lose 15 players to the NFL draft and another 13 to the transfer portal, and a few starters to season ending injustices, then you'll never make it back to the championship game." And think about TCU - They have been written off since the start of the season and just about every game, thereafter. They will NEVER beat (fill in the blank with any top team) And yet, here we are, the two" impossibles" playing for the championship. The words "likely/unlikely" and "probably/not" are more appropriate than "never".

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a truly HORRIBLE analogy. You could choose anything else, like "a drum".

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish folks would stop saying "rat poison" as that is Nick Saban's thing. UGA fans should come up with their own lingo.

Also, yes he is right. With the win Monday night, UGA will become the top program in the sport. As for the sport changing due to NIL and the transfer portal ... those things affect the "middle class" schools like Arkansas and Texas A&M the most. Those are schools that have huge resources, some tradition and think that they can be contenders, but if you look a bit closer they have won like 1 conference title in 30 years. So yeah, you have to pay kids to go to A&M because ordinarily they go to Texas, Oklahoma or LSU, and moreover it isn't that hard to get them to choose Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State or Arkansas over them. And these mercenaries go to A&M expecting to start right away so they can enter the NFL draft as quickly as possible, so they hit the portal when it doesn't happen.

As for Alabama, I am serious ... had Bill O'Brien called 3 straight running plays at the end of the game against Tennessee in order to run out the clock instead of giving Hendon Hooker just enough time to get the Vols in field goal range, then the Tide gets the playoff spot that Ohio State got. (TCU gets in anyway due to actually making their conference title game and only losing in OT, as opposed to the Buckeyes not winning their division and losing to Michigan by 3 scores.) I don't know who will be their starting QB or RB next year, but whoever it is will benefit from O'Brien calling plays for the Patriots next season instead of the Tide.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teams should be careful what they wish for.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your opinion is not close to fact. Kirby is what 47? He may have his 2nd in a few days. Chance to have another before 50. If he gets 3 before 50 and will likely coach to 70. That is 20 years to win 4 or 5. It is harder to do in some ways, but when you have 2 under your belt and nearly 25 years to win 5 more it is very possible and if you only need 4, odds aren't going way up and the odds for your "never will be duplicated" opinion are going down. Rule changes or not.

Culture and drive are everything, not what you cannot control like transfers and NIL. Players want to be developed more than anything. At least the BEST ones. Let the others chase NIL and UGA will keep getting many of the GREAT ones who want development to become as great as they can.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"If Georgia is to win on Monday, it will give Smart as many national championships as Saban since Smart left the Alabama program." That says plenty.

When Kirby left Alabama, Georgia was a good program but still had a way to go to catch Alabama. Now, it's clear that Kirby has Georgia at least on the same level. It could be said, Kirby's program is better at this point.

I think it's time to start asking, how much of Saban's success at Alabama was because of Saban and how much of it was because of Kirby Smart.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

You sound just like the UCLA fans of the 70's. You can't deal in facts when it comes to the future only in probability.

Never say never but to match what Saban did in an 11 yr period ('09 -'20) CKS will need to win THIS championship AND 4 more over the next 9 seasons. I guess it is POSSIBLE. Do you really think UGA will win the championship every other year for a decade? If you believe that go bet it in Vegas and retire in 10 yrs. Would love to see the odds.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. CKS winning 7 championships over a 30 yr period is not the same as Saban winning 7 championships over a 15 year period. When CNS created the AL 'dynasty" he won 6 in 11 yrs. That won't be duplicated. CKS winning 7 (or more) might very well happen over 30 years. But that wasn't what I was talking about. What I said was "duplicating a championship every other year". The rising tide of population/player talent has rendered dynasties in all sports obsolete.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't like counting unhatched chickens.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I wish folks would stop saying "rat poison" as that is Nick Saban's thing. UGA fans should come up with their own lingo.”

Could not agree with this statement more!

Coach Kirby has moved this UGA team out of (Saban’s) shadow and into the light of its own national prominence !

He has his own team motivators and doesn’t need Saban’s

Go Dawgs!