Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia’s ‘Uga’ mascot will miss championship game

SystemSystem Posts: 7,417 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia’s ‘Uga’ mascot will miss championship game

One of the UGA football program’s most popular personalities will miss Monday’s national championship game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Booooooooo.

But I get it.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Many of you will not like this but I believe this needs to be said.

It is time to end the relationship with the family who owns the UGA English Bulldog line and bring our UGA mascot under management of the athletic dept. and possibly the Georgia Vet. Medicine School. I love dogs, especially English Bulldogs. But I have noted a long term decline in our line of these dogs. Unfortunately, English Bulldogs are bred for certain appearance features, not for healthy vitality, energy and other classic bulldog traits. If you are skeptical, review the earliest UGAs in comparison to Que and his recent ancestors. No longer does UGA roam the sidelines for much of the game. No longer do our beloved dogs have a chance to take a bite out of a "out of bounds" Auburn receiver. How does our recent UGAs, even in their first or second years, compare to our pets?

The problems is the English Bulldog breed has suffered over the last 30-50 years. Perhaps it is time to.... gasp....adopt and AMERICAN Bulldog as the next UGA.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@rjallen This isn't going to happen. In other news does anyone know the status of Chaz Chambliss for the CFP game?

• Options
    bobebobe Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

@rjallen @ScoreCheck Yeah never happening, but if were going to talk about potential breeds. How about an Olde English Bulldogge?

• Options

Not a problem at all. They, like American Bullys, I far closer to what a Bulldog was 70 years ago.

But, the 1st step is to see the management of our beloved mascot be controlled and owned by the university.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It does seem that the Ugas have gradually moved to the squatter end of the breed standard over the last few decades. And, generally, the squatter they are the more prone to inactivity and health problems. For what it's worth, Charles Seiler told the Red & Black last year that his mother used to pick out shorter and shorter breeding lines, but that he's trying to move toward taller dogs. Maybe we'll see legs get a little longer after Que retires?

You also have factor in that Que is nine years old. That's pretty old for a bulldog. I've been surprised -- given his lazy ways -- that he hasn't been allowed to retire. Maybe it's because of his incredible 83-15 win-loss record!

On the other hand, we all know that his ignominious confrontation with Texas' mascot created the bad juju that caused us to lose the 2019 Sugar Bowl. ;-)

I can't imagine the university taking the Uga franchise away from the Seiler family. To start with, they own the bloodline. They probably has have legal rights related to the arrangement. Plus there's the upheaval in tradition, history and stability.

Interesting thought to consider other bulldog breeds. But I think the white, male English bulldog with the large head is too iconic to the UGA brand. And, as long as the Seilers are involved, it ain't gonna change.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Uga opting out and declaring for the draft?

• Options

In many ways, the Seiler Family has done a good job. When it all started, it is very plain the whole affair was a work of love. But the enthusiasm has waned a bit but the prices Georgia fans pay for a dog from the UGA line has not. My issue with the current owners is:

UGA should be based in Athens. He [or she]should be available for more events including some home basketball, baseball, tennis, gym and other events. Right now, every game, in Athens or other is a road game for UGA.

Our Vet school would do a great job with breeding. Producing a healthy vibrant.....athletic dog with good temperament should be the goal.

UGA can and should enjoy "NLI" funds to benefit the University, Athletic Department, Charities associated with the school and alumni.

"UGA" is the University of Georgia's mascot, not property of the Seiler Family. They do own the dogs of this line but there is always dynastic changes faced by royal families. It may be possible for a prince or princess of this line could still be part of the future GEORGIA dynasty of UGAs.

I is very important changes be made.