Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit: Concerns for Georgia against TCU, but Kirby Smart ‘now the standard’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirk Herbstreit: Concerns for Georgia against TCU, but Kirby Smart ‘now the standard’

LOS ANGELES — Kirk Herbstreit is all in on Georgia football, but he has some concerns about Monday night’s game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the front seven doesn't get more pressure on the QB than they did against osu, it's going to be a close game. Of course the DB's will need to perform better also. GATA's !!!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I will be a bit of a contrarian. I don’t want UGA to respect TCU. Too often when you respect your opponent, you play conservatively. I want them them to come out and dominate and impose their will throughout the game. TCU is no better than a mid-level SEC team. They are basically Miss State or South Carolina. The game should be over by halftime.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The sec championship game was an outlier because we were up big in the second half and playing against a backup qb that we obviously weren’t prepared for. (Sound familiar?) In the peach bowl, stroud did some things we hadn’t seen him do in his entire career but we adjusted and played better in the latter part of the second half. The key in this game is to score and score and score some more and wear them down. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you have a team that can get significant pressure on the QB then go old school, get in their face and knock their receivers off their timing route. I do agree with Herbie in that we will have to move one up into the box to spy Duggans. I honestly think its going to be a chess match because the quality of each coaching staff. Constant adjustments and counter adjustments will be made by coaches Smart and Dykes. But I agree, we have to get after them for 60 mins and don't let up. We can't let them hang around nor jump out on us and take momentum. We need to start digging the proverbial hole on the first offensive and defensive outings, start pushing the Horned Frogs in to that hole on the next 2, then start covering them up until all frogs are completely disposed of. Then we need to hoist the trophy!

But the reality is, TCU didn't get here by being pushovers. They beat a lot of teams they were not suppose to. Sure they had some games like our Kent State and Missouri games. It's time to take care of business! Its time to set the new standard! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Spdawg

While the transitive property doesn't apply to college football: UGA 42 Ohio State 41 (with a missed field goal). Michigan 45 Ohio State 23. TCU 51 Michigan 45. Now I am sorry, but South Carolina, Mississippi State and other "midlevel SEC teams" don't defeat undefeated Big 10 champions in a playoff after a month to prepare. And remember the last time UGA played the Big 12 champs in a playoff? They needed double overtime to barely get out of there 54-48. And the next year, UGA lost to Texas - led by a QB very similar to Duggan in Sam Ehlinger - in the Sugar Bowl. Even this season, the SEC West champs LSU lost to FSU out of conference, and the #2 team in the SEC, Tennessee, needed overtime to barely get by Pitt. Also, your mighty South Carolina Gamecocks lost their bowl game to Notre Dame. ND didn't even play well in that game ... their QB threw 3 picks.

You aren't being a contrarian. You are just saying things that flat out aren't true and ruining your credibility in the process. Michigan took your advice and disrespected TCU. The result was a 21-6 hole at halftime that they couldn't dig themselves out of. By the time they started taking TCU seriously, it was too late. Fortunately Smart is the coach and you aren't.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Tripp

I disagree. Spying Duggan will take a guy out of coverage. Even if UGA is able to lock down Quentin Johnston, TCU has plenty of other "good-but-not-great" targets that Duggan will be able to spread the ball around to.

I don't know why everyone is treating Duggan as this dominant dual threat QB. He honestly isn't that big, strong or fast. Nearly all great running threats at QB have the athleticism to start at another position i.e. RB, WR, TE, LB, DB and that doesn't describe Duggan. He isn't going to go out there and rush for 120 yards and 2 TDs. So UGA can concede rushing yards to Duggan. They have the speed on defense that Michigan - and Big 12 defenses - lack so he won't get far. I know a lot of people are spooked by Stroud's running. That is a different thing. Stroud was able to force UGA to defend the whole field - sidelines, over the middle and deep - with his passing ability, which opened up a lot of running lanes, which made him very effective even though he isn't very fast. He used his own passing to set up the run. Duggan doesn't have Stroud's passing ability or arm strength to do that. So UGA should just let the guy run ... he won't get far.

UGA should take the guy that Herbstreit wants to use to spy Duggan and use him to blitz Duggan instead. It would force Duggan out of the pocket and even turn him into a runner. When that happens, there will be plenty of guys on the UGA defense that run faster than Duggan to chase him down from behind. Like I said ... when he tries to run he won't get far, just like Hendon Hooker didn't.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be silly to not understand that TCU deserves to play in the National Championship Game. Underestimating any opponent is a major mistake. More so is taking for granted a victory by halftime especially against a team which has had notable come from behind, pull the fat out of the fire victories.

It's possible the game could be over by halftime. The problem is we could be on the wrong side of that equation.

On a very good day South Carolina can beat a very good team, but thinking South Caroline's season has been like TCU's requires ignoring the facts.

"Too often when you respect your opponent, you play conservatively. I want them them to come out and dominate and impose their will throughout the game."

I want our Dawgs to dominate and impose their will from the get-go. However you seem to be confusing fearing an opponent with having a realistic understanding of the opponent's strength and capacities.

Mr. Duggan has been compared to Mr. Bennett. I believe Mr. Bennett can hurt you with his legs. He can also hurt you through the air.

That said, I'm all about aggressive football. Kirby is too. As you know he talks about being the hunter.

I expect we will be hunting on Monday night. Whether we'll be doing big game hunting is yet to be determined, but we will absolute bring some big guns along and use them.

We have to have some success on defense. TCU has not been terribly great at keeping opponents from pressuring their quarterback. On the other hand, we have been very good at keeping the pressure on Stetson low. We must do rather well in the quarterback pressure game, on both sides of the ball.

I'm not taking 'em lightly. Not at all. I'm sure Kirby and Company aren't either.

I believe our offense matches up very well agains their defense. We should be successful in both the run game and the passing game. If so, we can win the game by eating clock, holding onto the ball, playing our wear-you-down, beat-you-to-death game, and by scoring more points.

Blast 'em to smithereens!

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@thedec

You are correct. The transitive property doesn’t apply to college football. Unfortunately, you are wrong about everything else.

Of course any team can rise up and beat another, but you simply cannot structure your game plan to be purely reactionary. Far too much of the discussion has been around how UGA needs to adjust to TCU instead of the other way around. The correct answer, and the one I expect to see Monday, is that UGA plays aggressive defense (similar to the Tenn game), without laying back and dedicating a spy. Yes Dugan had a nice season, but nearly all of it was against Big 12 competition. Don’t forget, he wasn’t even the starter until the second game.

I see the Michigan game differently. Harbough is an absolute trash bowl coach. His team gave up two pick 6, gave away two more scores with terrible play call inside the 2 and still only lost by 6.

Bringing up prior season bowl games is a bit of a stretch. Especially the 2019 Sugar Bowl where UGA had a bunch of opt outs and did not want to be there. Of course you seemed to neglect the 2020 game against Baylor when the team did show up and beat Baylor.

I expect something closer to this years Alabama / K State game.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You have selective memory. You failed to mention that Tennessee beat the ACC champion Clemson while playing with a backup QB. And South Carolina had 8 starters out against ND (due to opt outs, injuries and transfers) and still almost won.

• Options
    DelDawgDelDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

The level of talent the Dawgs have is far superior to the Horned Frawgs. IMO Dawgs win by 21.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

So TCU beat K St in the season by 10 then lost the Conference title by 3 to the same K St. If we had a twin in the SEC, I'd say most would say it was Bama....I'd say that in 2022 we are the older better looking twin. Bama beat K St by 25. WHY? Depth of TALENT, ferocity of TACKLING, and unwavering TENACITY.... The older, better looking twin will win and TCU, "the work in progress" according to their coach will have been taught a very good lesson going forward. I'm sure the DAWGS will have noted areas needing improvement as well!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, Texas had the most success against Duggan and TCU this season. Even though they lost 17-10, they held TCU to 283 yards of total offense and only 17 points. TCU held the ball for almost 38 minutes of the game, but still could not get anything going consistently due to the pressure. Texas's defense recorded 5 sacks and held Duggan to -41 yards rushing (on 10 carries). They swarmed him, and Johnstone only recorded 3 catches for 66 yards.

There's your blueprint for beating TCU.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually OSU had a month and a week to prepare.

And, UGA also missed, not one...but, two FGs.

Nice try. Lol

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA should just do what Kirby and his awesome staff have prepared to do when different situations call for it. Kirby's got this. Havoc. The end.