Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart accomplishes something Nick Saban has not, as Georgia goes 15-0 to win national title

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart accomplishes something Nick Saban has not, as Georgia goes 15-0 to win national title

LOS ANGELES — Kirby Smart knows Alabama hasn’t done it. Last season’s national championship team couldn’t accomplish it either.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

I'm glad the narrative worked and the team had a chip on their shoulders and felt they had something to prove but, UGA was favored to win every game this year, even in preseason. Yes, there was the absolute disrespect when the first CFP ranking came out and, magically, tennessee was considered the best team in the country, regardless of their soft schedule, but, aside from that, when were there doubters? Which football knowledgeable person felt that Georgia had no shot?

I also get being unhappy that, as defending National Champion, we should have been, but were not, ranked number one coming into the season but we weren't counted out. I'm not quite sure where the idea of "lessened" faith in the team comes into play. Knowing it was a tough road to sled is one thing and losing the talent we did would make it difficult but I know I had faith that we would win every game and I know most on here feel the same, as did the odds makers, who again, had us favored in every game.

-And don't misconstrue my comments as anything other than absolute respect for the team and the wins. They did overcome and dominated and I am immensely proud.

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is time for the comparisons to Saban to end. CKS has become the Alpha Dawg and since leaving Bama for home, Bama has become soft on the lines and on defense. THW Saban and their toothless whining fans!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA was direspected in a way. THey had just won the Natty and they were picked what? 4th or 5th to start the season. I don't believe the year before when BAMA lost so many that they relegated BAMA to 4th or 5th to start the season.

Then when Tennessee won some games easily to start the year, guess who became the new media darlings? THe Vols. Even then after we did nothing but just keep winning UGA was doubted by the talking heads on ESPN for the most part. Guys picking Ohio St. come the playoffs and guys picking TCU for the upset. I was never more happy than when Lou What's his name picked TCU before the game. I knew we had it then.

I expect some of the same this coming season. Some new shiny thing will catch their eye. And again that will be the chip we use.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

This game reminded me of the dominating performance we put on against the Ducks in week 1....but this was obviously much better!

What's interesting to analyze is looking at how teams like Georgia and Ohio State responded to disappointing performances- the Buckeyes against Michigan- came out fiercely and aggressively against the Dawgs and almost won. Then Georgia regroups after a poor defensive performance against Ohio State (and LSU) and dominates! Having that edge, that chip on your shoulder provides such a level of motivation that it's very difficult for the other team to respond at that same level. I also believe that the 4+ weeks given to teams to prepare for the semis probably makes those games play out quite differently than if they were played with only a week or 10 days to prepare.

15-0. Wow. Obviously, the formula and system that Kirby is using works.

Reminds me of the AJC headline the day after we beat Notre Dame in 1980...."Unbeaten, Untied, Unbelievable"...

Ain't it true!! So proud of these Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Over the last two years Georgia has taken over college football, and this is a young team" What David Pollack said, with Nick Saban sitting right beside him. Priceless!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With all due respect and Zero sarcasm at you. I disagree with some of your comments. I’m not gonna go back and dig up the people and comments, so as a fellow Dawgs fan I’d ask you take my word. But I clearly remember many of the “Experts” saying the Dawgs would drop At Least one game. Some said maybe Two. Some of the way Out There ones with an obvious bias said Three. Their reasoning was all the talent and experience that had left the team to the NFL and some just because their college time was over. Now the people that said that might not have viewed as disrespect. But many Dawgs fans did. And Kirby masterfully spun it to create a nice sized Boulder to put on the players backs !! And it worked !! Now it’s gonna be extremely difficult to near impossible to create that narrative for the upcoming season. I’m not saying I’m right, I could be very wrong. But I respectfully disagree with your assessment on that. But regardless I Know we’re both Very Proud of these Dawgs, regardless of the thinking that got them there. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do not know the validity of the poll, but I saw a map before the championship game in which the states were colorized according to whether the majority of the population of that state was pulling for UGA or TCU. In the southeast, the ONLY citizen base rooting for TCU was Alabama. I think this was fortified in Nick Saban's unasked for opinion in the pregame that the targeting call against UGA in the tOSU game should have been upheld. CNS and the state of Alabama are true competitors...and scoundrels!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with @CDDawgs ... enough with the Saban nonsense. I am not even a Smart fan but apart from Saban, Smart was/is:

All SEC and former NFL DB

A DB and DC on that legendary Valdosta State staff (VSU's hires is one of the most underreported stories in sports)

An assistant for FSU

An assistant - on offense no less - on Mark Richt's staff at UGA

No one talks about how Saban was on Jerry Glanville's staff with the Houston Oilers, or Bill Belicheck's staff with the Cleveland Browns, OK? So there is no need to continuously tie Smart to Saban. Both Smart and Saban were successful before they started working together - Will Muschamp was Saban's defensive coordinator for the 2003 LSU title team, not Smart - and have been since they parted. If anything talk about what a couple of guys who were both safeties for Ray Goff in the early-mid 90s (though I suppose Smart primarily played for Donnan) went on to accomplish together (national title on the 2003 LSU defensive staff, 2 national titles together at UGA) as opposed to the Saban stuff.

Because here is the deal: now that LSU and Tennessee finally have competent coaches again and those plus Auburn are finally able to pay players openly and legally, I don't know how much longer Saban is going to be in Tuscaloosa anyway. After all, Lane Kiffin turned down the Auburn job for a reason. It isn't because he wants to spend the next 10 years in Oxford, Mississippi. It is because he knows that he will be walking the sidelines in Tuscaloosa within 5. The only question is whether Saban wins another title between now and then. The chances are against it.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

No disrespect taken and I appreciate the view but again,my point was that we were favored in every single game, including against the "almighty" 2022 tennessee when they were mysteriously ranked number 1 in the first CFP. We came into the season ranked number 2 and were always expected to be in the playoffs by every reputable poll out there. Personally, I never heard 2 or 3 losses but I take you at your word. And I do not find the expectation of dropping one game as being disrespectful. We have seen slip ups in the past. It's just that you can't always tell who that may be against. In fact, after the accident that almost was at Missouri, we dropped from number 1 to number 2 only to reclaim the next week and stay there to the end.

I do see disrespect in the absolute slap to the face that was the first CFP ranking that saw an unproven tennessee team jump us. And as I mentioned, and I have mentioned many times, as defending Champions, we should have started the season as number 1. The argument I had used was the same I kept hearing for Alabama: They are number one till someone beats them so yeah, those 2 things would "p" me off. But even then, we were always expected to be in the playoffs.

But absolutely, whatever works as motivation, I am all for.