Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Savor the moment, Dawgs fans: This was one for the ages

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageSavor the moment, Dawgs fans: This was one for the ages

Did we just watch the greatest Georgia football game of our lives?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Billy, great article with a refreshing voice. I love my Dawgs like you do, always have! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

IMO I think we need to take it easy or just stop talking about the SB doubters, most of which (If we are being honest) grumblings were from last season(myself included), because it serves no purpose and is very divisive at this point.

I follow these Dawgs as close as anyone and have since reaching adulthood in the early 1980’s and even our own staff doubted him as is mentioned in this article and others over the last 2+ seasons:

“and overcome his own coaching staff’s indifference to his talents”

I haven’t mentioned any negative opinions about SB since his superb performance in last years playoff even with his 4 game performance this past season where he threw 0 TD’s and 2 INT’s.

Now that this team, led by SB, went undefeated, won an SEC Championship, and then made the playoff and defeated both OSU and TCU, had one of the the greatest offensive performances that I have ever personally seen with my own eyes, won another Natty…isn’t all that stuff, said by whomever, water under the bridge at this point?

This Dawg team is the greatest “team” I have ever seen in the history of College Football in the “modern” era of CFB.

The 2021 team had the greatest defense I have ever seen in the “modern” era of CFB.

They just won back to back ‘ships.

And last, but certainly not least, their head Coach Kirby Smart has shown me that in less than 7 years he has miraculously developed into one of the greatest College football coaches on planet earth. As young as he is it makes me even more excited for what the future holds for my favorite college football team since childhood in the state that I was born and raised in.

Now I will walk with my head a tad higher than normal and look so forward to grinning and not having to say a word to all of the Florida and Alabama and UT fans that I come across in various situations I encounter at work and even at Family gatherings from time to time. I hope more than anything that I run into Spurrier in passing at the golf club he is a fellow member of: oh please let that happen before he gets too old to still swing a club.

This team led by it’s current head coach are the best for 2 straight years running and they will continue their excellence for numerous years to come.

That is worth highlighting and celebrating!

Cheers.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome writeup Bill! I always enjoy your insights on the dawgs! It truly is a fantastic time for the Dawg family. Who is the most feared team in all the college football landscape? Why, that would be Georgia! When was the last time we could say that?? To watch Saban last night squirm while David Pollack was telling the world that basically, the dawgs were now running college football was priceless! It was just too good to watch Saban looking so out of place as everyone was singing the dawg's praises. That man has probably never felt more lonely than he did last night. GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you have a chance listen to Kirby's pregame speech to the team. I'm late posting this because I had to recover from trying to run through a brick wall.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill...here's to Pops!

Glory, Glory to ole' Georgia....not much more to say.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lots of Dawgs in heaven enjoying this. Lewis Grizzard leading the way.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was an historic beatdown. I think most Dawg fans realized what Kirby has built, even before the history setting NC game.

Now, the rest of CFB has to be catching on. It will be interesting to see how the narratives about this program play out over the next months and season. GO43N23! I think they have a real chance at making that happen.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent job Bill !! As usual !! In all the excitement and accolades Stetson Earned, I forgot he officially surpassed Murray’s single season record, And became the First Dawgs QB with a 4000+ single season passing ydg. record !! Wow !! Just Wow !! It was an Awesome Team Win !!

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

After this season, game and aftermath, I would agree that the grumblings about the SB "doubters"/haters can and should stop. For those of us who read all the comments, and talk to fans, as you do, the doubt/hate continued even into this season. I think it is appropriate and necessary to mark its end formally and to call it out. That passive aggressive or outright aggressive attacks were so spiteful and mean spirited that they put a small but noticeable drag on my enjoyment of the last two seasons. I don't know what motivates those people and never will understand them (including a friend of my family who was dissing Stetson as recently as two weeks ago). My point is THOSE PEOPLE have been DIVISIVE all along.

Now that I have that off my chest, I will focus on the almost literally unbelievably positive and fantastic season, capped off by one of the biggest wins of all time. How 'bout them Dawgs?!!!

• Options

That's hilarious! I can understand, after hearing that speech, why the team played with such fire! That said, a note of caution for those who seek it out and might be upset or offended, there are more cuss words and F bombs than you can count. Kirby was ALL IN and wanted his team to be too!!!

• Options

Bill,

I am most grateful for this team and what we were fortunate enough to live through and witness. I know your father was enjoying it from heaven. I am also grateful for the Junkyard Blawg and your weekly article. Thank you for your Bulldog passion and your writing. It's always a treat!

Bob

• Options

As far as what to name after Kirby, may I suggest "the University of Georgia at the Kirby Smart campus". It's not too big an honor for what this man has done for UGA. Or, if we really want to go all in, we could rename the state, the state of Smart. I'm only half kidding.

Whatever is done, it's got to be worthy of the seismic shift he has caused and done for all of Dawg Nation.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great column, Bill.

How ‘bout ‘em.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed!

Chris Fowler was already talking about it at the end of the game when he was going over our 2023 schedule…..

What a great time to be a Georgia Bulldog!

Go Dawgs!