Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers from 2023 National Championship domination

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers from 2023 National Championship domination

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

Will DN wonders never cease... not only is the 4x MVP, record-setting, stadium standing ovation QB not listed as a Winner, he's not even mentioned! 🤔🤣😠

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

[mis-edit... sorry!]

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Darnell was way under-utilized as a receiver at UGA. He should have much better stats in the NFL.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loser: This article.

Many winner loser articles have been published. Every single one has been better.

Pathetic, Connor.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A three peat hasn't been done in the modern era. Kirby has a shot - it may be a long shot - but it's the biggest ever!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loser: Caleb Downs and Justice Haynes? Ya think those guys are rethinking what was "best" for their "careers" ? They abandoned their home state and home state team to go play for a team that seems to be slipping in culture, development and national visibility. SBIV is a household name in his home state. You think Trevor Lawrence is known in his "home" state by anyone other than the most ardent CFB fans?

The main reason that AL had a CFB dynasty was/is because AL has always had the highest blue chip ratio rating of their players. And they have an excellent coach. It appears that AL has de-emphasized development of their players. AL selects former pro coaches, rehab coaches and coaches that can recruit more than develop. Clearly UGA has passed AL as the premier program. The AL answer will be interesting to watch play out.

From the outside looking in it now looks like CKS (and UGA staff?) is flat outworking CNS and the AL staff. If the trend continues GA players that leave the state can be put in the "losers" category.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall good column, Connor. I would note that one team, the Minnesota Gophers back in the 1930s, did win three Natty's in a row, so it has been done before. Just not in modern history.

And you're right, our 2023 defense should be lights out. We'll just need to find a strong cornerback opposite Lassiter, and hopefully one of these incoming freshman edge rushers will be able to come in and play immediately. Remember, Dan Jackson should be back to provide depth at safety. The only thing with Bear Alexander is I hope he'll stay hungry, and not take on that "entitlement" attitude that Kirby spoke about. Hopefully, he will use his good game on Monday night as a building block for the future, and not as a soapbox to sell himself. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Winner....where's Ladd??? He earned at least a game ball for the performance he put on all the while playing through pain!!! I'd have to say also that Brock is a winner in that he now knows exactly what will make him the starter next year.....MOBILITY! I still think we'll have dueling QB's as game situations present themselves.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

The Joe Moore award is as meaningless to the average college football fan in 2023 as the Heisman Trophy award is and was going back to around the time Tim Tebow was awarded it as a sophomore back in 2007. UF lost 3 SEC games that season while being led by Tebow including losing by double digits to their biggest rival (Dawgs) AND lost their 4th game in the bowl game against a Lloyd Carr led Big10 Michigan team who also had 4 losses.

That sent the message to me that the Heisman was no longer based on what it had been in previous decades which was talent, production, winning DNA and how you were the most important player on a good team that was an excellent team based on your presence and performance. that UF team led by Tebow was nowhere near an excellent team led by a “most outstanding player”. An argument could have easily been made that Percy Harvin was as much of an “outstanding” player as Tebow was that season. Graham Harrell, a QB for Texas tech that season, passed for 2300 more yards that season as well as 16 more TD passes. Texas tech’s record that same season: 9-4.

It was clear to me that the award had become a “popularity” contest and also had become more “political”, which means that it became more about the good ole boy network of elitists deciding who would win instead of a more traditional consensus in voting with no “back room” influence pushing it one way or the other.

IMO there is not one fan, CFB sports reporter, or non-liberal homer Big Ten fan that can justify with stats and eye-test of on the field performance that award for best offensive line going to Michigan both in 2021 or 2022 over Georgia’s offensive line. Look at the on field results for both teams in their toughest games against power 5 teams and their performances against playoff worthy teams in both seasons!

It just points to exactly what the Heisman award pointed to back in 2007ish: it’s a popularity contest and not an objective nor worthy award in college football.

• Options
    MrLMrL Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 2023

You missed a BIG winner: Todd Monken!

His play calling was impeccable. Unfortunately, we might loose him to the NFL.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Yes, the last (and maybe only) three-peat was Minnesota in ‘34, ‘35 and ‘36.

Edited: Sorry, @DallasDawg , I hadn’t seen your post when I posted this! 🥴🤣

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Our O Line guys being able to eat chicken wings while Winning the second consecutive Ntl. Title is Better than having a Losing Joe Moore Award !! 😀 We Know they were and are Better than the ones who won the JM award. I mean how many O Line guys can say they helped ( in a Big way) get their team So far ahead, So fast of time, that they could sit around and eat chicken wings on the sideline Lol ?? I Love it !!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haha, interesting. Kirk nailed it when he said the Smart was making things seem worse with public opinion to keep them fired up. NOBODY thought Georgia would go 5-7 for the year, 6-6 or really even 7-5. Even 8-4 would've been a total shock with the level of talent we had. BUT, that's awesome because Football is one of the true TEAM sports and emotion falls heavily into that.

The Saban thing is awesome. He now knows that we have the "it" factor that Bama has enjoyed. That missed kick by Ohio State was a perfect example of what Bama seemed to do 5x+ a year where they should've lost but wound up with a win. He knows his program is on the way down. If we can keep them in check for another year, I predict he'll retire.