Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former SEC head coach zeroes in on mismatches, back-breaking play and Georgia football glory

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageFormer SEC head coach zeroes in on mismatches, back-breaking play and Georgia football glory

LOS ANGELES — Like a good movie, there were so many great scenes for Georgia in its 65-7 win over TCU, the game will be discussed and broken down for weeks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Indeed.

Nice article, Mike.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was as close to a complete game on both sides of the ball that I can remember. Even more dominant than when Nebraska beat Spurrier's Florida 62-24 in the Fiesta Bowl.

Kirby has built a real CFB Deathstar in Athens GA. I can't wait to see how next season plays out.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, man, I really like your overall coverage, but you really seem to have a blind spot on Bennett. You claim, during the show, that Bennett played three quarters of mediocre football against OSU. That just isn’t objectively correct. He threw an interception early that (regardless of how you breakdown that play) should not have happened. However, next, he led the Bulldogs to 17 unanswered points… 17! He made some incredible throws and had some great reads during that stretch. Then the defense collapses completely, and gives OSU back the lead with less than a minute remaining. Bennett does not do well on the closing series. Come the third quarter, Bennett, Monken and the offense in general seem out of sync… it was not a good third quarter on either side of the ball. However, composure, composure, composure. Kirby and the defensive coaching staff finally find the answers and the defense steps up. Kirby makes a clutch time out call, and Stetson and the offense play arguably their best quarter of football in the last several years. Still, the defense allows too many yards with less than a minute left, leaving the game to be decided by a long field goal attempt. Just enough to win. Great team effort in the fourth quarter, but simply not possible without Stetson’s amazing throws in the final 2.5 minutes with the game on the line. I’d like nothing better than to get together and have a beer sometime and talk Georgia football. Respect to you and your voice, but on Bennett—we will just have to argue! 🤣

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, I listened to the talking heads all week, they did a great job planting doubt in the heads of the general population and among some Dawg fans. I don't know how many interviews you may have done with Finebaum last week but the one I heard and really got my attention I believe was on game day. Paul can be disrespectful and coarse at times however you stayed firm, held your position well, with facts, and didn't give an inch to his bantering, questioning you and your motives; you presented a great argument for your position. Guess what, the educated knew exactly what to expect; maybe not to the degree it actually happened but nonetheless you were on point. Keep up the good work!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was there and I agree wholeheartedly with Pruitt's analysis. The interception of Duggan just before halftime (followed by our TD) really put the game away for the Dawgs. I mean, they had to play the second half, but the game was really over at that point. And he's also right that Georgia has better coaches. It's not that they outcoached TCU, they're just better at their jobs than the TCU coaches. There was NOTHING that TCU did on that field that Georgia wasn't ready for. Even the one big play TCU had didn't come from anything tricky they did, the UGA DB's just had a brief moment of miscommunication. And honestly, if not for that one coverage bust, I seriously doubt if TCU would have scored at all. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If I remember the sequence, the score to go up 24-7 was a turning point. Forcing a punt after TCU had gotten into the Dawgs half of the field, then the Dawgs marching 92 yards and chewing clock to make that score was crucial. A TCU score would maybe have changed a bit of the complexion of the game. Hard to say, cuz, the Dawgs pretty much bounced them around after the one busted coverage.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great Article! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe off topic, but I just got a text from a guy I worked with. He "congratulated" me on the Dawgs, sez "UGa HAD a nice run, but the 2019 LSU team is the greatest team ever. Sad? Let me count the ways...

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Thoroughly prepared on O and D. I guess the rat poison before the Peach Bowl and barely eking out a win vs OSU got the youngsters attention and focused on being completely dialed in.

If you watch the game again, watch JBullard's 1st INT again closely. He lined up 10-15 yards off the LOS covering the slot WR Johnston. A tick before the ball is snapped Bullard turns his back to the LOS and sprints downfield. He obviously knew what was coming before the snap. Got deep and intercepted the pass. Coaching.

Coaching challenge for next season? Finding the new Darnell Washington. TE's are falling all over each other to commit to UGA. BUT they all want to be Brock Bowers. Somebody needs to be DWash. Major weapon n the pass AND run game.

BTW it is always preferable to view a relatively easy win. But it was tough to watch TCU get completely obliterated. Especially their good QB on an overmatched team. Felt pretty bad for them considering there is no fan base animosity between the schools.

TCU ran into UGA on their best night in '22(/'23) . It would've been a better, more memorable game to see TCU play up to their potential.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife is not football knowledgable nor does she want to be, but she was watching the game with me (sort of) and she kept asking me incredulously, who picked that team(TCU) to play for the NC. I had to explain to her that TCU had just beaten the team that beat the team that almost beat us the week before. SHe still couldn't get it. So, I jcould only say, sometimes it just be like that.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Game Summary: Everything went right for us and nothing went right for them.

• Options
    ascdawgascdawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

REALLY enjoyed the conversations with Jeremy Pruitt on your show this season Mike! He just about called every single game scenario perfectly a week in advance. Really interesting perspectives on coaching and players as well. Hope he can join you again next season!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loved watching the clip.....textbook example of a double team hold on Jalen Carter!