Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football tight end Darnell Washington announces his plans for 2023 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football tight end Darnell Washington announces his plans for 2023 NFL Draft

Another Georgia tight end will be departing the program, as Darnell Washington announced he would be heading to the NFL.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing but the best to Darnell. Absolutely loved watching him play. Just glad we never had to play against him, lol. He'll show out in the NFL and any team would be lucky to have him. Just hope he goes to a team where TEs are actually used. Really curious to see his 40. That truly is a big man moving.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big O will go down in history as one member of the perhaps the finest TE tandem ever in college football.

He could have left after having to play second fiddle to Bowers, but he trusted in Kirby and saw the possibilities. DGD!!!!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man I hate to hear this. I have felt since last year he would declare after this season. Some NFL team is going to get a great player and an even greater person. In time he will be an absolute force on the field and a great leader in the locker room. I’m no coach and don’t know anything about coaching but in my heart I have and always will feel he was underutilized as an over the middle tight end while he was here. Loved watching him steamroll opponents. I’m not an NFL fan but I will definitely have an interest in seeing how his career progresses. I think he is going to be great for the right team. Darnell you have been a DGD! Best of luck to you! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you Darnell! Great player who provided so much value that will not be noticed in any statistical category!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@CandlerPark

Mentioned this on another post. People who call Washington and Bowers "the greatest combo in history" have forgotten about Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow II at Miami 20 years ago. And that team had multiple future NFL Pro Bowlers at TE and WR too. (But not quarterback though ...)

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good luck Darnell! You will do great in the NFL. You are a beast Big O and a key cog in our National Championships!! Thanks for all the hard work!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know replied on another post but same conversation.

I agree with @CandlerPark

The production (stats) and results (2 titles) of this room will go down in history (at least for now) as the best. This does not even include the non statistical value such as puling defenders, blocking, and running that the others didnt warrant to the same degree.

@thadec certianly cites some great players from a very good room, but all 3 did not play together and instead of recency bias I believe this is NFL career bias. The exceeded there ncaa careers with a very good to great in some cases NFL career.

Strictly measuring a college career it is the Dawgs all day long. Sad part is Brock is still getting started

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is incorrect.

Bubba Franks was at the U from 1996-1999

Jeremy Shockey was at the U from 2000-2002

Kellen Winslow was at the U from 2002-2004

Greg Olsen was at the U from 2003-2007.

All in all, Shockey and Winslow overlapped 1 year, and Olsen and Winslow overlapped 1 year (Olsen was injured his freshman year).

• Options

Sorry, even that was wrong now that I looked it up. Shockey left after 2001. Winslow started in 2001, and Olsen started in on the scout team in 2003.

Only one of them (Winslow) won the Mackey and their yardage is similar to Bowers and Washington (albeit in fewer games).

Bowers is a better receiver than all of them, and Darnell is a better athlete.

• Options

They were all excellent in college, but they didn't play with each other except for a 1 year overlap between Shockey and Winslow. Not unlike Bowers and Washington, Miami won a title that way.

Maybe running 12 and 13 sets is the key to winning titles...

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a great bit of history. Unfortunately, the facts don't back you up.

First of all, those three never played together.

Second, Shockey and Winslow did play together, but their stats while on the same roster were nothing compared to Bowers' and Washington's.

Shockey/Winslow had 42 catches and 534 yards while on the same roster (2001). Bowers/Washington caught 157 passes for 2,432 yards. Shockey and Winslow were both known as good blockers (perhaps on Bowers' level?), but from what I recall neither was a factor in the blocking game on the order of Washington.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WAy to go Big 0! DGD!