Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Kirby Smart on NSFW pregame speech: ‘They ain’t even heard the best one’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,437 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Kirby Smart on NSFW pregame speech: ‘They ain’t even heard the best one’

Kirby Smart wanted to set the record straight. The profane speech that went viral while Georgia was thrashing TCU on Monday was not in fact given prior to Georgia’s win over the Horned Frogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Raw54Raw54 Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

People on the outside next to stop leaking our stuff cornball go Dawgs.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

So I'm guessing Kirby does not adhere to the "5 second" rule.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I loved every second of it and no wonder his guys play hard for him. Having said that, what happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room. Not a fan of leaked audio and if done unknowingly to Kirby and team (sounds like it was), I hope they find the person and ban them from the locker room.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

As someone who tries to make a point of not using profanity (still very frowned upon in corporate America management) the words lose their meaning and emphasis when used indiscriminately. Unnecessary words are meaningless and wasted.

I get that we're talking about a football locker room. Football players have always been portrayed as the "Neandertals" of athletes. With good reason. But that "speech" doesn't reflect well on the image of UGA as an institution of higher learning or on the man who is the CEO of the football program. It just doesn't. Some things should remain behind closed doors.

The command of the English language and a well read vocabulary is something to aspire to and is worth having . It is needed in the business world if one wants to be able to communicate effectively and represent their intelligence level.

As an adult I get it. But not a great example to set as a UGA educational institution representative. You think CKS's daughter and 2 young sons were in the locker room?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To be honest I doubt the value of Any pregame motivational speech. I mean realistically when the game actually starts how many plays are the speech Really good for ?? Two maybe three at best ?? I mean the players are or should be concentrating on the mechanics of making that play, not memorizing the motivational speech the coach gave. To Me a coach could probably speak a couple of sentences and get the same affect when you think about it. It’s the Coaching in practices and in game that really matter. Just my opinion.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

There are 2 adages that apply here . Don’t worry how sausage is made just enjoy it and Any publicity is good publicity . Obviously you can find cases where these don’t apply but in this case I think they do .

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Idunno. I think there’s a pretty hefty value to it IF it’s initially effective in getting the ball rolling. We know football is a game of momentum, and if the juice is strong at the beginning, that should affect those early plays, like you mentioned. But from there, those early plays will hopefully carry more momentum going forward. If you start out flat (in the halls) there’s that much more work to do to get the psychological/emotional component clicking.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Of course we all love the passion. And that resonates with young football players. You are right. Pregame speeches get you pumped up until the hitting starts. Then you settle in and lean on your preparation, skills and heart.

CKS took criticism from every rival (jealous) fan base over this leaked speech. That's expected from anyone that is competing with UGA. And most of that is jibber jabber. This sort of thing probably goes on in ALL locker rooms. But if you are the mom of a recruit how does this sit with you? Recruit mom's are very influential.

And, of course, UGA fans are going to forgive/defend this no matter what it is because it is CKS.

Bigger issue I have is someone betraying the sanctity of the locker room and leaking this stuff. Find the mole and exorcise him/her. Unless this was purposely released by UGA/CKS as an aid to recruitment.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nah. I teach English, literature, and rhetoric. If there’s one rule I can give you regarding communication, it’s that there is a proper context for everything. We have this idea that people only curse because they don’t have a good vocabulary or command of language, and it just isn’t true. Picking the right word for the right audience in the right situation is what master communicators do. That curse words carry an emotional weight (when (and I agree with you on this point) they’re not thrown around willynilly and become devoid of their weight) is undeniable. Not capitalizing on that fact in a situation in which it can be relevant would be just as much of a waste. Understanding that young men (and let’s be honest, most people) swear is not surprising. Using the language of the people with whom you’re trying to affect, when you can use it authentically, is more likely to accomplish your goal than using a different language set that will create a barrier between you and your audience.

Ok, I’ll get off my soapbox now 🤪

• Options

I agree with what you said. Mostly if not 99%. Emphatically and for effect a few well placed, additional words can be inspirational or further illuminate additional meaning. With the right audience and setting. That is the rule I try to live by.

But in our culture , in 2023 (and well before) , these words are included indiscriminately. I know it is a cultural thing. I wonder if swearing in every sentence of most casual conversations is as prevalent in other cultures around the world? Probably so as most places emulate the US.

Salty language is gaining in "acceptance" or becoming more common and mainstream primarily through indifference. Wasn't always that way. I recall having my mouth washed out with soap more than once. Seems like a degradation of culture and language. But it is what it is.

You are Hans Brinker. Trying to teach proper English in the face of a mass media tsunami bombarding our youth with situational information lacking the proper context . I applaud your effort and professionalism. I hope you are making an impression and I hope the tide turns.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Just some thoughts on this. Just my humble opinions. Two things I’d like to say to preface my comments. One I’m certainly not holier than thou, I’m no better or worse than any other person. Two I barely graduated high school, I might have done a little bit better had I taken my education more serious but I don’t think much better as I just wasn’t much for academics. Now the meat of my comments. We go through different stages in life. What seems to be major priorities now mean very little later. And what seems mature now will seem childish later. In my younger years I used and heard pretty much every curse word known to the western world. No I’m Not proud of that. But at that time in my life it was all part of being macho. To fit in. To be accepted. It was just what you did as a sailor. But Now it seems so crude and frankly To Me pretty childish. And I don’t think it really enhances ones performance over someone else that Doesn’t use it. Here are just two cases in point. Sampson of the Holy Bible was a Man Of God. He was also at that time the world’s strongest man physically, possibly for All time. Paul Anderson a native of Ga. and a Devout Christian has world records some of which have Still not been broken to this day. One I can think of is the shoulder lift. He lifted the weight equivalent to the weight of a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, that record Still holds as the heaviest shoulder lift ever recorded by a human being !! My point is that the prolific use of profanity doesn’t make you a better man than someone that doesn’t. Now I’m Not saying that a man that doesn’t is necessarily a better man by refraining, because he might have something else negative in his life. Speaking strictly For Me, I know these things happen in locker rooms and many other areas of society where it’s a bunch of guys gathered together. But I wish this hadn’t leaked to the general public. It just doesn’t sound good at all Outside the locker room. Whoever leaked it didn’t do Kirby and our Dawgs any favors imho. There’s a time and a place for everything and I think that would have been best left in the locker room.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Navy, for the most part, I agree with the sentiment of your post. I don't know if you have Children or Grandchildren, but, I can tell you this...at least from my experience...what you and I consider curse words, are just words to today's generation. They are adjectives and verbs that replace whole sentences and have various meanings, depending on their use.

They use the "F" word in their everyday language....because they text it in casual online conversations every day. Websters dictionary has been updated to include most of those words. Sign of the times, my Friend.

Kirby, the "Great Communicator", is just speaking their language. That's my opinion, anyway. It might make some of the older generation's toes curl to hear it...but, the Kids get it. Lol

• Options

"the kid's get it". Wow if that isn't one of the dumbest things I have heard in a long time.

Apparently they don't get it because they are using the words incongruently to their established and accepted meanings. Which makes my original point. The words are superfluous and add zero additional lingual enhancement to the meaning of what is being communicated.

"Kid's get it". Kid's say it because it is cool or rebellious. When is it NOT cool for "kids" (children) to talk in that manner? Are we having conversations in the elementary school classroom where this language de-evolution is commonplace in instructional conversation? Are "Kids" learning proper language skills prior deconstructing the English language into street slang rife with swear words? How far do we let proper communication roll back before it is too much? Might as well throw out the convention and standards of communication because "the kid's get it".

Is it really proper or appropriate? Why right here on Dawgnation, in a post I wrote yesterday, the word U , G , L , Y was "* * * *'ed" out. I used the word in my description of how the WR room could get (common slang term) IF 5, 84, 10, 8 all left the WR room. Apparently not appropriate.

"the kid's get it". Locker room talk is one thing but condoning and supporting what we are becoming linguistically is just dumbing down to a very base level of communication.

Oh, I almost forgot LOL.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...you're a real live "tool", aren't ya? And, not a very sharp one at that. I learned a long time ago...you can't argue with ignorance...so I'll take a pass. Thanks for playing.

How can you possibly discuss this issue on a website dedicated to censoring anything that may appear offensive to...I don't know...virtually anybody. That's how you keep people ignorant.

Oh yeah....go Dawgs!