Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media reacts to wild Georgia football celebration: ‘Screw it, we won two rings’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageSocial media reacts to wild Georgia football celebration: ‘Screw it, we won two rings’

ATHENS — Georgia fans and players got another chance to celebrate on Saturday afternoon. This time, with fans, friends and teammates on hand in Sanford Stadium, the Bulldogs held a celebration in Sanford Stadium.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yuh. SB4 has always been a maverick. He has put up with a lot over the years n return for his efforts. That said, my son suggested that Bennett may have been working out with John Barleycorn.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the pre season the media ranked him the 5th QB for the 2022 season. That's even after he lead the Dawgs to the 2021 CFP National Championship.

• Options
    Thomas77Thomas77 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

As they say, it can take years to build a reputation and a legacy, and less than 10 minutes to ruin it. Instead of rising to the occasion, the crowning of his great (media recognized) achievements, thanking DawgNation, and being humble to the well-wishing dignitaries (i.e. Governor) on the stage; Bennett acted like a teenage brat in a tantrum. In doing so he might have burned some important bridges needlessly and probably didn’t impress NFL owners with maturity and leadership skills either. Also it probably would have been a good opportunity to thank the university for a world class education. I do wish him well and thank him for the incredible memories. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

I will miss Stetson as he rides off into whatever next chapter comes his way… but I will not miss DN’s coverage of him.

I’m one of those who at times doubted him, but I have never doubted Kirby’s (or Monk’s) decisioning of when or how to play him. Furthermore, I’ve never doubted SBIV’s commitment to the team or the fan base. I’ve had some tough jobs in my career, but even after decades in the workforce, I marvel at this young man’s handling of unreal pressure with a level of calmness that I think few others could demonstrate.

All that said, while it would have been nice to see him demonstrate greater enthusiasm and clarity in his remarks during Saturday’s celebrations, I don’t begrudge him one bit. Would it have been nice for him to just gush like Kirby did? Sure. Do I think his remarks were predominantly toward the media? You bet. Do I think some in the media, especially Dawgnation, have cut the guy virtually zero slack? Definitely.

Out of curiosity, I checked the online coverage of the Saturday celebration and Stetson’s comments across a variety of sites. I checked 247 Sports, CBS Sports, ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports, on3, Saturday Down South, and Sports Illustrated. ONLY Dawgnation chose to feature a heavily negative spin (not to mention by two of its lead reporters) on SBIV’s comments… in multiple articles, to boot. In fact, Jake Rowe of on3 had an interesting article where he reflects on how Stetson must be exhausted from repeatedly answering endless questions on the negativity (worth a read, IMHO), and commenters on Saturday Down South’s article explicitly called out SBIV’s statements as probably being addressed toward Mike Griffith.

I’d like to characterize DN’s coverage of SBIV as “love-hate” over the years… but in the run-up to, and afterglow of, two national championships, an unbiased review of DN articles showed little love, especially relative to the rest of the media out there. Ironic for a site that is supposedly “fan friendly.”

I look forward to putting this divisiveness behind the entire Dawg-fans community, and this website in particular, as UGA looks to three-peat. Until then, I wish all of you (even those with whom I occasionally disagree) a great 2023… see you next season! 😁

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ole Stet better grow a thicker skin if he has designs on an NFL career.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only thing thing that will be remembered are the two Nattys Back to Back.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stet always said that all the comments from naysayers doubting him never bothered him. Well, obviously it did. I can't blame him for acting the way he did even though it doesn't show him in a favorable light. Let's be honest. Most fans DID doubt him and his abilities, and not a single fan, sportswriter, or analyst saw him taking us to one National Championship much less two.

• Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

I criticized him, too for some of the desperation throws he made instead of throwing it away. He learned from that but he earned some of that criticism. He has developed into a helluva quarterback, though so I give him his due. I probably wouldn’t have chosen that moment to vent it but that’s his call

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Keep it up Conner. Some never ….oh never mind …

• Options

This my help explain why Stetson wasn't at the post-game presser.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson only needed a chance. As soon as he was given the starters practice reps you could see his improvement as his experience increased.

I believe most of Stetson's comments were directed towards the media - playoff committee. Think about it. The AP ranked Alabama over Georgia. Then, the playoff committee ranked Tennessee and Ohio St over Georgia (and they gave two different reasons for doing so). Tennessee "had a better resume - while Ohio St. had a more explosive offense", never mind the fact that Georgia clearly had a better resume than OS. Then, the Joe Moore award committee snubbed the Dawgs for the second year in a row. Some on ESPN picked everyone from Oregon to Tennessee, to Miss ST. to beat the Dawgs.

I get why this team felt disrespected.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson Bennett IV, THANK YOU.....for rising above every negative comments, finding a way to enter every closed door, showing every aspiring student athlete that hard work and determination always pays off, and beating the overwhelming odds to prove to the world that it doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, GREAT LEADERS are discovered only when adversity is continually confronted and defeated ! You have been surrounded by TEAMS comprised by individuals whose talent has never been matched. However, It took a leader of uncompromise will and determination to secure TEAM success. STETSON, Thanks for forever setting the standard and defining the true meaning for DGD!

To Kirby Smart and Todd Monken, THANK YOU for having faith in SBIV!......one more reason you both are the BEST coaches in college football!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GtheGreek, this was WONDERFUL! Such a message of positivity and gratitude. Shared it with friends and family who are not on this site. Literally made my day with the uplifting thoughts that go way beyond SBIV himself 😁

Thank you!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

I watched Stetson play 25 times in high school and kept telling my friends this kid is the deal. The media, sports writers and many fans dissed him for years. What did he do, he shoved it down your throats. Screw everybody that doubted him, he gave us 2 rings!!!!!!

• Options

Although he had the right to say what he did. he did hurt his image to many.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's face reality....who is the next QB in the QB room who will lead us to another NC? Is it CB, is it GS or BV? That's the thing ., no one knows, right? I mean none of these guys may be the guy. Only time will tell, just like it did with SBIV. Heck, the coaches get it wrong sometimes too. Remember Dwan Mathis? THen it was JT, they told SB he wasn't good enough to start. Where is the guy who was going to be "the guy" coming over from Wake Forrest? It's a crap shoot. Joe Burrow couldn't start at Ohio St. Hum...So, no one is disrespecting you...just because there is some doubt.

You earned it kid, good on you, if you needed a chip, it worked, but don't act like everyone was supposed to instinctively know you were the second coming of someone truly special. Get over yourself! Go DAWGS!

• Options
    NautiDawgNautiDawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    NautiDawgNautiDawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Stet had almost a week to think about his last address to his biggest fans, coaches, and team and he didn't find it necessary to thank any of them for helping him. I supported him early and often, but his recent immature conceited behavior and inarticulate interviews are not good UGA leadership examples.