Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN gives Georgia football high praise for how it handled the transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,546 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageESPN gives Georgia football high praise for how it handled the transfer portal

The first transfer portal window officially closed on Wednesday, as it was the final day for players to enter the transfer portal until it reopens on May 1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm very excited about the additions of wide receivers Dominic Lovett and RaRa Thoms, along with defensive back Smoke Bouie.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Different subject, but just heard that Stetson Bennett, after being in the running as a Heisman finalist, going 15-0 this past season, being MVP in back to back playoff games ( 4 total going back to previous season ), leading UGA to two National Championships, is not eligible for CFB Hall of fame because he wasn't an All-American.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If ever there were an exception to that rule, it would be SBIV.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RaRa catches the most contested passes. Should be a very suitable replacement for AD.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know Kirby and UGA have done something right when they get the unrestrained praise of ESPN. I think the Dawgs will be just fine at WR. Off topic some what but the player roster is not so much what I’m concerned about any more at this point. It’s trying to keep Coach Monken on board. I’d Love to see him stay for one more run At Least if he would. I think we’re all curious to see how things would go with a new QB at starter. I Know I am !! But I want the new QB to have the benefit of operating with Coach Monken at the controls !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually he won 5 MVP awards in a 13 month period counting the SEC CG…….and those games were against lightweights: Michigan, Bama, LSU, Ohio State and TCU. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@CandlerPark

Putting Stetson Bennett IV in the CFB Hall of Fame would require putting AJ McCarron in there too.

As well as other Georgia players who were just as important to UGA's run that didn't play QB.

As well as other players on teams that won multiple national titles (Texas 69 and 70; Nebraska 70 and 71; USC 72 and 74; Oklahoma 74 and 75; Miami 87, 89 and 91; Nebraska 94, 95 and 97; Florida 06 and 08; Alabama 09, 11, 12; 12 and 15, 15 and 17, 17 and 20; Clemson 16 and 18) whether they played QB or not.

I keep mentioning this: while Bennett IV is very exceptional to UGA - its fans, its program, its history - because he won UGA 2 national titles, to everyone else in college football he is just another good player. And yes, prior to the 2021 playoffs, even the "good player" part was debated by a ton of people. But folks who don't root for or don't particularly care about UGA aren't going to want an exception made for him that wasn't made for a ton of other guys just because those guys A. didn't play for UGA and B. played a position other than quarterback.

Yes, what SB IV accomplished at UGA is unprecedented for UGA. But for the rest of college football - to quote the late Raul Julia in the Street Fighter film - it was Tuesday.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s what he does ColumbusDawg! Goes to Google, pulls up all these stats like we’re supposed to believe he knows all this stuff, then ridicules anyone for having a thought contradictory to his own. I really don’t think he’s a Dawg fan! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

What other QB besides AJ Mcarron and Bennett have won 2 National Championships Mr Football? Sure, many teams have won national championships, but VERY FEW have won back to back titles. And even fewer QB's have won 2 titles. And only ONE QB has won 2 semi-final games, and 2 Championship games, not to mention Offensive MVP honors in ALL 4 games. And guess who that was.. It wasn't Bryce Young, Tua Tagovailoa or any other QB.. It was Stetson Bennett. And you still criticize, and nitpick. A whole team has never been elected in the college football HOF, and never will. Only the most productive members of that team attain that honor. Drag out your orange ut CLOWN costume, and put on a magic show for us. The 1st trick you perform, should be you disappearing. And BTW, you left out Notre Dame with a total of 11 Championships, and who won back to back titles in the early years 1946 & 1947 . And also Yale, who has 18 NC's, more than any other team, with Bama 2nd with 16. They may have happened many, many years ago, but they still count..

• Options
    Run_Lindsey_RunRun_Lindsey_Run Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good to know that ESPN approves of UGA's activity in both recruiting and the transfer portal.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options

Only 2 other SEC teams in worse shape than Florida ... no it's not Vanderbilt and Missouri. It's Ole Miss and TAMU

• Options

Only 2 other SEC teams in worse shape than Florida ... no it's not Vanderbilt and Missouri. It's Ole Miss and TAMU

• Options

• Options

@reddawg1 - AGREED; Check out Bouie's HS film. A bit on the short side for WR but speed to burn from what I can see. If he has the hands would be a good special teams dude ala Kearis Jackson/Ladd McConkey.