Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett thanks those who were always with him as he moves on to NFL challenges

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett thanks those who were always with him as he moves on to NFL challenges

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett knew what he had to do immediately after his Manning Award press conference. While answering a question on if he felt disrespected by NFL teams, his dog threw up. No word on if his dog was barfing because of something it ate or the question.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, maybe not always, but mostly, and fer shure when he'd pull those crazy leg runs. His dedication ...

And his last 2 years were spectacular.

DGD.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very few people who are "always with you." Parents, siblings, childhood friends, HS coaches perhaps. Those who don't know you have to see you play and from there opinions are formed. I would liken SB's progression as a fan favorite to a train that stopped at every station along the way. THe first beginning in Fayetteville, where he picked up many folks who hopped on board the Stetson Express following that game, then the next two stops were wins and more folks hopped on board, but then came stops at BAMA and Fla and maybe some folks got off at those stops, maybe even some of the coaches. BUt that Little Train just kept on climbing, and started collecting more and more passengers at evey stop.

Then there was the SECC game in 2021 and some folks who had hopped on the SB Express were asking themselves did they make the right choice? Could they get a refund and get on another train? But the next stop against Michigan pretty much put all jumping train thoughts to bed, and if not that stop then the following week's stop did for sure, for the Little Train that so many doubted, delivered a closing performance for the ages!

Still the question lingered for the coachng staff. Should they try to recruit Caleb Willaims even after SB had just delivered the 1st NC in 40 years? "Of course", they decided and who better to show Caleb around on his visit to Athens? The guy he would be trying to beat out. You can't make this stuff up. SB's story is pretty unbelievable to probably everyone but himself and I'm sure sometimes he has to pinch himself just to make sure, it's real!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson hosted Caleb when he was being recruited as a freshman, not as a potential transfer.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Given the weekly story book episodes that led to two National Championships, my prediction is that the Cinderella/Jimmy Stewart saga has not yet found it's happy ending. Chicago drafts SBIV as back up tp Justin Fields....the guy who couldn't quite grasp the Monken Play Book and TP'd to TOS due to alleged racial comments..... Fields gets injured/benched and SBIV comes in to win yet another game. The winning continues all of the way to the Super Bowl, where of course our HERO leads the Bears to victory.....Hey, a fan can dream can't he?

• Options

99nout " Stetson hosted Caleb when he was being recruited as a freshman, not as a potential transfer"

THanks for the correction!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for the ride Stetson. Now shut up and move forward.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great news on Stetson’s well deserved Manning Award. I’m still fascinated at how long it has taken so many fans to embrace Bennett. Most folks forget that he came off the bench and accomplished something very few QBs could do. In his first game on the road we were losing to Arkansas at halftime and then the Mailman delivered. He replaced a floundering D’Wan Mathis and his 3rd quarter was legendary. He threw for almost 200 yards and 2TDs and finished with more yardage than Felipe Franks had in the entire game. What’s most impressive is Bennet had very little practice with the starters because he was listed as our #4 QB most of summer camp. I was impressed then and continued to be impressed during his entire career. Go Dawgs and thanks Stetson for the memories.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since his scout team days Stetson's delivered.

That you, Mr. Bennett, for your 12 years as a Dámn Good Dawg!

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Always thought there was something about Stetson. Not just the walk-on to starter bit, but the things he went thru that many would have just gave up. He was so nervous when he came in against Arkansas, that his hands were shaking and he could hardly hang on to the ball. Games where he looked like Aaron Murray when he was new - the moment he went to throw a pass you would cover one eye and still try to watch with the other. Then there were the doubters....he's too short, can't throw deep, JT Daniels is this, is that....got buried on the depth chart, finally started, got booed AT HOME, and the talk Georgia would never win a championship with Bennett as QB from fans.

In the 2021 season he went 12-0. Yet, Georgia would lose to Bama in the SECCG with those in the media blaming Bennett and calls to start JT. Then something happened. Against Michigan Bennett put in a MVP performance by completing 21 of 31 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns  in a 34-11 rout. The Bulldogs outgained the Wolverines 515-325. Then in a rematch with the Tide 17-of-26 passing for 224 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs with another MVP performance, hitting AD Mitchell and Brock Bowers on two TD passes. Still there were those that claimed it was the defense that won that NC. And maybe true to some extent. But if Bennett doesn't make those pass plays in the 4th then we are possibly singing a different tune.

In 2022 the mailman delivered again....going 15-0, multiple MVP awards, Manning Award, etc, Heisman finalist, 2nd NC. There was something about Stetson.......he came through in the biggest games against any competition he faced. And goes out as a guy who just wins when others doubted him.

• Options

You have to admit SB has had one of, if not the best, 2 year runs for any player in the history of college football.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will admit that I was pulling for Stetson to do well for selfish reasons. He was the one the coaches selected ( to give us the best chance to win ), so I wanted him to succeed for the team to succeed. There were times I would think "that was a bonehead thing to do...c'mon Stetson, you are better than that!". Other times it was "Way to go, Stetson.....awesome!!". Just goes to prove that we all are human. Stetson is human, but he seems to be able to overcome that when it counts. I trusted him not just because the coaches "chose" him, but also because it was obvious his teammates truly trusted and believed in him. The other wonderful thing he did for the program was that he was a team player always, even when he was not the starter. That attitude may have been the example for JT Daniels being such a supportive team player as he was on the sidelines. And I think that their team attitude has also been an example to the other members of the QB room, who have also been team first players.

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

"those who were always with him"? So I'm sure there were some teammates that weren't 'always' with him and we know the coaches weren't 'always' with him so I guess a bunch of folks just got thrown under the bus! Like I said before he needs to get the chip off of his shoulder and grow tf up!

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson, your moaning and groaning about people who were not with you is getting old. You had a great run at Georgia and people will never forget that, but everyone who reaches celebrity status such as yourself will have those who do not agree that your fame is deserved. Focus on the good things that happened to you or some of the fans who were with all along will wonder why they bothered.