Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Carson Beck quote that perfectly sums up offseason workouts for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageThe Carson Beck quote that perfectly sums up offseason workouts for Georgia football

The celebratory confetti was still stuck to quarterback Carson Beck’s arms in the postgame locker room, yet he was already looking ahead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

We're really struggling for content, eh?

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the “eat off the floor” comment. One thing to say it and it takes a great leader to get buy-in from a group/team. Kirby does that in an outstanding way. Keep chopping and go DAWGS

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pardon me @Kconnorriley but what does "Of course, much of last season’s success was built upon the fact that Georgia had so many hungry players who hadn’t won yet."

even mean? The SEC title (that the players forgot about within 5 minutes of winning it, likely because the title game was against a ho-hum 4 loss LSU squad) maybe? Because beyond the true freshmen, everyone on the 2022 title team already had a ring from 2021. Also, UGA also lost only 2 more draft-eligible guys, 15, in 2021 than the 13 that they will lose this year (though it is possible that as few as 11 will be drafted). They have also lost fewer guys to the portal to this point. Lots of the guys that UGA lost to the portal last year, especially in the secondary, got real playing time in 2021. But the only portal losses this year so far that played major roles were Dominick Blaylock - who considered the draft and hit the portal when informed that he wasn't going to get taken so he was done in Athens in either case - and AD Mitchell.

In 2023, the issue won't be so much as "hunger" as that the 2021 team was exceptionally loaded, meaning that the 2022 team was a combination of starters left over from 2021 plus key backups who got some playing time in 2021 who moved to the starting lineup in 2022. Now in 2022, there weren't as many 3rd/4th year guys who got playing time as reserves as there were in 2021. A lot of the backups in 2022 were true freshmen, redshirt freshmen and true sophomores. The good news is that the few underclassmen who saw big roles in 2021 like Brock Bowers, Ladd McConkey, Kamari Lassiter, Kendall Milton Javon Bullard etc. are going to be elder statesmen. The better news is that I expect the UGA of 2023 to look nothing like the UGA of 2021. The strength of the defense will shift from the frontline (the DL and the OLB pass rushers) to the backline (the secondary plus the ILBs who are generally going to be the ones to drop back to cover the TEs and RBs out of the backfield and chase down WRs on short passes, i.e. the Roquan Davis stuff). And the offense will have more vertical passing - and between the tackles running - than any UGA offense has under Smart. The 2017-2019 teams had plenty of rushing but not much going on in the vertical passing game. 2020 was a mess, and since it has been Stetson Bennett. Expect the 2023 offense to look more like Ohio State 2022, except with Brock Bowers playing the Marvin Harrison, Jr. role.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An ambitious, winning culture in 2023 is largely dependent on the upperclassmen upholding/reinforcing what's already there... such as "hunt or be hunted", or "the standard is the standard"... the simpler the better, no need for new tricks or head games, IMHO. But it's the seasoned guys who will express it, lead by example, and hold the others accountable. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll keep preachin......we need to find a way to play both Beck and Vandergriff making Gunner the backup. This way all three stay far far away from the TP. Carson is truly the best passer, but Brock's running ability and arm place him close in competition. Why not use both in the backfield on a few plays that change every week....there is no way for DC's to plan for that. Monken is so creative it would be a cinch for him. Fan would go ape-excrement over it???

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking forward to seeing Beck in action and this year's upcoming season. Ready for the Threepeat.😎

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have no idea how this would work (practically, not concept, to be clear... esp. around players' emotions), but I like thinking about it! Does anyone know of a current CFB team that regularly does this (hopefully, successfully)? or at least in recent years? I can't think of any, but I'm pretty SEC-centric.

The plain truth is that, like many Dawgs fans, I just can't stand the thought of losing any of these three QBs. They all seem great, but we haven't had the chance to see what any of them can do in a true pressure situation. Going to be exciting 😁

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wouldn't work. Rarely has worked. Mostly, in the "wishbone" or "triple option"...where the QB is an integral part of the running game (a 4th RB) and passes are sparingly thrown. Lol

However....If I remember correctly...UGA won an SEC Championship, using the 2-QB System out of the "Veer" offense, with Ray Goff and...???, i can't remember the other QB's name...but, you get the gist.

In today's game, running out of a 2 QB system, is an act of desperation, by a coach that doesn't have an answer at QB. Hoping, one, or the other, will do something to separate himself from the rest....Kinda' like, what Bennett did, in 2021.

The cream always rises...and, we don't know which QB will rise higher, between now and September. As with Daniels..."speculation and hype", have Beck leading the charge. But, in reality...we could wind up with BVG, Stockton...or somebody not even on the radar, yet.

One thing we know for sure...the best "player" will play in a Smart/Monkin Offense...or, on a Smart Team, if you prefer. It's gonna be fun, watching all these SEC teams come together,, between now, and the 1st game...especially the Dawgs.

Another team, I'd like to see become more competitive, is Ga. Tech. I'd like to see the Dawgs win the SEC...and, Tech win the ACC...then, meet in the CFP. What a game that could be.

Lol...I'm gettin' wayyy ahead of the game, now. I see that down the road, a ways.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Other QB was Matt Robinson, usually brought in to replace Goff on obvious passing downs since Goff had no arm.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Roquan Davis? Never heard of him, and definitely don't remember him playing for UGA. Now, Roquan Smith, that's a different story. Maybe you meant Raekwon Davis who played at bama.Looks like you should've turned to your escape goat..Google 🙄

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought it was Robinson...but, Rex kept coming to mind. And, I knew he was a kicker. Lol

Matt's Father was a UGA coach at the time, too...if I'm not mistaken.