Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Stetson Bennett turns down opportunity to compete at Senior Bowl

13»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's face it, the pushback is from SB detractors. I seem to remember a UGA kid that went down there and blew out his Achilles tendon. Now maybe for him it was a chance to make one last impression, but not for SB. Things can happen. Step on a OL's foot or they step on yours, no thanks.

If you want to watch me beat every team I ever played against, just roll my tape. Or you can come by my house and I'll show you my 4 MVP trophies. Other than that, I'll see ya at the combine.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Let's face it, the pushback is from SB detractors"

Exactly right. Lol...Bennett laying an egg in the Senior Bowl, would give his detractors 1 last, "Hail Mary chance" to be semi-correct about Bennett's NFL prospects...in their eyes.

Not gonna hap'n Cap'n. That ship has sailed. That dog has hunted and is in the pen. That horse is out the barn. We all know who "the detractors" were. And, we all remember who got it right...and, there weren't many. I just hope, like good Dawg fans, that they learned something from their mistakes.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks for the direct feedback Mike! Cool and supports my comment !

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

You are right. A missed opportunity to show out in front of scouts from all 32 teams for a week. Considering scouts from all 32 teams don't attend pro days let alone practice (LOL) no better opportunity. Like a week long combine. Not the best look for someone trying to overcome a low draft choice perception and make some money. Which is what I said.

The reason/purpose MG wrote the article in the 1st place is because it is unbelievable that SBIV wouldn't jump at the opportunity to up his stock.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That won't happen at the QB position. There's a huge difference between a defensive lineman and a QB.

A QB plays EVERY "offensive play". While, a defensive lineman (DL)...particularly, a UGA DL...only sees the field on Saturday, in 30-60% of the defensive plays. Wyatt had a lot to prove to scouts, last year. Bennett doesn't have anything left to show the scouts, on the field. You know this...so, why would you try to equate the two?

• Options
    Uxga_XUxga_X Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

again Mike, "CONSIDERING" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, and that is still not the same as "HAS AN INVITATION TO", and the Sr bowl worried about taking away attention from the Tragedy, I mean really? if that's what you were told first hand and you believed it, no wonder this piece has the "tone" of reporting without any substance, I mean really man, you would buy that line at face value? "oh we didn't want the invitation to Steeton to overshadow the terrible accident" how the hell is that even believable to anyone? the two stores are not even close in importance, but to you its a reasonable excuse? wow...

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I know is, there were A TON of UGA fans on this very same platform calling out the Senior Bowl for not issuing Bennett an invitation BEFORE the National Championship game. And now that he's decided not to play, the sentiment is, "well, he doesn't have anything to prove anyway." Time will tell, maybe Stetson Bennett will be the next Tom Brady. But there's a reason the Senior Bowl has been around all these years and why representatives from EVERY SINGLE NFL TEAM show up. I guarantee you that there are A LOT more places they'd rather spend a week of their lives than Mobile, Alabama. If the game is so inconsequential, as so many here claim, why are the other UGA players bothering to go? They could pull a hamstring or tear an ACL just like Bennett? The same tape scouts can watch of Stetson Bennett, will show them the traits of all the other UGA players. I sincerely wish Bennett well, but the more I read and hear about him, the more I'm ready to start hearing about the 2023 Dawgs. Maybe some of THEM are still hungry for success.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK my last installment on this subject, and many of you will probably say Thank God !! 😀 After reading and rereading comments here and rethinking my own comments. I see merit in Both sides of the take on Why Stetson wouldn’t go to the Sr. Bowl. Y’all already know that some times it Can happen that there is Right in both sides of a debate. I’m very poor at articulating my thoughts so many times, so please forgive me but let me give it a shot. To preface the primary parts of my comments, I think that Stetson would weigh very heavily What Ever his agent advises him, as that’s what the agent is paid for. Of course in the end it’s Stetson’s decision. And we simply don’t know what his agent might have advised. OK from a Perception stand point in particular to many Fans and Media, no it doesn’t look good that he won’t be participating. And be assured those in the media that don’t like Stetson will probably put in extra effort to spin the hype on that to make Stetson look as bad as possible. Many fans will be disappointed that they didn’t get to see him play one last time at the college level. So from a perception stand point No it’s not a good look. OK, but the Reality is there’s not much that Stetson could show Trained NFL Scouts and Coaches with a team he will have really Less than one week to practice with. And in fact there’s a very strong possibility that instead of making him look good it could make him look bad. That is to media and fans. A professional NFL Scout and/or Coach should, one would think not put much stock Good or Bad in a Sr. Bowl outing from the QB position in particular. As Y’all know there is a vastly Huge difference between the Sr. Bowl and the NFL Combine. The Combine has defined metrics that can help the scouts and coaches more accurately measure and predict what a player could do in the NFL. Also the risk of injury in the Sr. Bowl is real and would have to be taken into consideration. And it could be said that time could be invested in training for the combine. So in summary not going to the Sr. Bowl from a Perception standpoint with emphasis on fans and Media = Not Good. And again be assured that those in media who don’t like Stetson much in the first place will push that narrative as hard as they can and Add In as much negative sensationalism as they possibly can. BUT professional NFL scouts and coaches Should be able to see through all the hype and Will rely much more on game tape and his performance at the NFL Combine. So not to wear this out, but I’m thinking his agent advised him Not to participate and Stetson agreed. I will confess purely for My own entertainment I wanted to see him play one more time. BUT if he did and got seriously injured in the process I would then be extremely nauseated !! So I guess he’s doing what he thinks is best, which in the end is what we ALL would do. To me he’s a DGD and I wish him the Very Best in life. Hey Wake Up !! I heard that snoring while reading this !! 😀

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Persistence wears down resistance!