Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football roster takeaways after examining the full 85-man scholarship roster

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football roster takeaways after examining the full 85-man scholarship roster

The roster turnover part of January has officially come to an end, so we now have a better idea of where things stand with regard to Georgia’s roster as it enters the start of the 2023 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I can't wait to see the QB competition play out, we have some great potential in that room! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My guess is if BV beats out or looks like he's beaten CB, Beck would transfer. If Beck is the clear frontrunner BV may stay seeing he's next inline if an injury occurs, or he could leave if he feels like GS is his equal or thought to be by the coaches.. i don't see GS going anywhere this year.

You know the coaches don't want to get down to just 2 scholarshipped QB's. My guess is they hold their cards close to their vests going into summer practice. "They're all wonderful!"

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

May the best Dawg quarterback win! As we have learned, quarterback play is essential to win championships and stay an Elite program. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There appears to be significant concern that we may lose a QB due to competition. FYI…Bama has 4-5 scholarship QBs on their team who have at least 3 years eligibility remaining and they have a commitment from the #2 QB next year (Julian Sayin). Throw in the fact they picked up 2 good QBs in the current recruiting class. I don’t know why we can’t retain 3 QBs if Bama is handling almost twice that number. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have no walk-on quarterbacks?

(As we know they couldn't possibly be worth keeping.)

I don't know the rules, but is everything a done deal now with no options for transfers and such after spring practice? I am pretty sure transfers can and do happen later in the year. I'm certain players might transfer to Georgia from elsewhere, particularly players Kirby & Company want and need.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Any new on QB Jackson Muschamp, I know he's a walk on, but does he have any skill at QB, in a worst-case scenario?

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Hey @JimWallace I think you’re right about that. I believe the Transfer Portal opens up again for about a two week period from May 1 to May 15.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brock Vandagriff will graduate this fall, so we won't know if he transfers until then, not sure he would stay if he doesn't win the QB position.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

You were correct.. Vandagriff plans on graduating this fall from UGA. I posted earlier that he was only a redshirt freshman but deleted it after I looked it up and saw I was wrong lol

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I agree, BB... I really don't have a difficult time seeing all three stud QBs staying, at least another year. In fact, I think it's very likely, given the types of kids Kirby recruits, their dedication so far, and their apparent appreciation for the benefits gained from the current program. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Jim, I think we have 2 walk-on QBs…..Collin Drake and Jackson Muschamp. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BubbaBill

You should look at more than just a snapshot in time. The QB position at Alabama has been a revolving door since Star Jackson - Saban's first attempt to recruit a high profile mobile QB - left 'Bama to play at Georgia State when he didn't get the starting job (a decision that didn't go well for him). When Jalen Hurts unexpectedly won the starting job in 2016, pretty much the entire depth chart under him transferred. Several guys left when Tua grabbed the job from Hurts 2 years later, though Mac Jones stayed and Hurts stayed initially. Tua's little brother Taulia decamped for Maryland when it was clear that he wasn't going to beat out Jones. Bryce Young's getting the job caused guys to leave too.

No one has left Alabama yet because there is no reason to: there is no 5 star guy upperclassman or guy who looked good in a backup role waiting in the wings. Jalen Milroe, Bryce Young's backup, has a big fan in Saban but is not regarded as being capable of making the reads and throws necessary to run the current Bama offense. Scuttlebutt is that if Bama hires, say, Jalen Hurts' Philadelphia Eagles QB coach (and former Florida OC) Brian Johnson or Florida's Dan Mullen, it will be to put in an option-type offense that Milroe is able to run. If that happens, Milroe stays and a couple of other QBs leave. But if Saban hires an OC to run an offense that Milroe can't, then expect Saban to help Milroe head to the Big 12 as he did Hurts, except TCU, Iowa State or Kansas State would be more likely than Oklahoma this time.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

It only takes one breakout, banner year for a college QB to become an early-round draft pick. For Georgia's top three, they all have that potential, but that year doesn't have to be this year; so why not stay another, especially when you believe you have a shot at helping the team win a third straight natty. (I personally think it'll be a coin flip as to who's starting at the end of the year.) Worst case scenario, you stay an extra year at a place that is developing you as well as any other place could, and take a shot somewhere else next year if need be. Oh, and biding your time in the Classic City is a pretty sweet gig. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

After last year's NCG, everyone associated with UGA knew Stetson would be QB1 this past season, so the other three knew their roles. This year, obviously, there's not a QB1 yet. So Kirby likely is approaching this offseason and talking with the two guys (mainly) concerned that he's gonna go with a QB1 and QB1A. I imagine he'll give them 50/50 shots with the 1's during the spring and summer. I read somewhere on here a couple days ago, someone commenting on the possibility of a two QB system. I don't think Kirby would do that in-game, but wonder if he might consider it game to game, especially with our easy early season schedule.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

My crystal ball predicts at least 1 QB transfer in the May Portal, either Beck or Vandegriff (most likely) since they both have only 2 years eligibility remaining. Kirby may keep them close to his vest by playing them all equally in the spring game and stating publicly that the position is 'wide open' , but privately, the QB room will have a good idea which one of them will start in the fall, and the QBs know that you don't impress NFL scouts by holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck looked really good last year (aside from inexperience mistakes, such as that fumble against -- who was it? -- Kentucky?) Obviously, he's farthest along in his development, having one more year in the system.

Vandagriff has always seemed to me to have the most upside. Both have rocket arms, but Brock can tuck it and run. (Plus he has that Samson-hair, which of course makes him even stronger. ;-)

One happy scenario: Beck uses his skills, his training and the players around him to have a Mac-Jones-type one-and-done starting season, leading a supercharged offense, while Vandagriff sticks around for the same opportunity in 2024. Given how good they've looked in practices and scrimmages, it's very possible that both turn out to be top-five type QBs. I'd hate to see either go, because both look to me to have all the tools ... and I'm a greedy Dawg who wants all the bones!

I'm less familiar with Stockton, although I know that a lot of Dawgnation commenters think highly of him. Because he's younger and such a Dawg-from-birth player, I'm less concerned about him transferring.

Then, there's the possibility of Dylan Raiola. If he commits to UGA, he'll expect to play by his sophomore year (2025). That would screw up the one-starting-year-and-done train for Stockton (but I'm getting way ahead of things ... ).

The real question this spring will be whether Vandagriff (or Beck) leaves. Vandagriff seems to have indicated that Monken is part of the magnet that keeps him here, and with each passing day it seems more likely that Monken is staying (crossing my fingers).

But if any of them did leave, wouldn't we expect Kirby dip into the portal, just to be three-deep with scholarship QBs?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@sthop456

Actually Beck has 3 years remaining because of the pandemic year, plus he gets to also claim a redshirt year. So Vandagriff - who joined in 2021 and doesn't get a pandemic year but can claim a redshirt year - have the same 3 years of eligibility remaining. Stockton, who claimed this year as a redshirt year, has 4.

That being said, considering that Beck has prototypical NFL measurables - 6'4", has an NFL arm, is sufficiently mobile by NFL standards - he could leave for the NFL draft after a big year. Although what may give UGA the best chance to win a title next year would be a return to balance: 3000 yard passer with a couple of 1000 yard rushers (Milton and Edward).

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s possible that one of the three QBs could elect to leave. But as long as Coach Monken is here, referring in particular to this coming season, I don’t necessarily see any of them leaving. BVG has stated that he wants to learn all he can from Coach Monken. Gunner still has Time on his side so I don’t see why he’d want to leave at this particular juncture. The only one I see realistically leaving would be Beck if somehow BVG or Gunner upstaged him. That will be an uphill climb for both those guys as Beck has had significantly more real game snaps and has looked pretty good in those opportunities.