Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Todd Monken to interview with Tampa Bay on Tuesday: ‘A strong candidate to take his old job’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken to interview with Tampa Bay on Tuesday: ‘A strong candidate to take his old job’

Rumors surrounding Todd Monken have been swirling from the moment Tampa Bay moved on from former offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Tampa Bay appears to be in disarray in terms of who the QB will be, etc.

Maybe Monken likes a challenge, but if he hopes to be a HC, why would he go somewhere with the possibility that the whole staff will be gone in a year?

It looks to me like Monken left the NFL for college because he was working in a less than ideal situation, IIRC.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I cringe when I see his photo pop up on DawgNation...and it is now getting serious. He may have some stringent requirements for the job as Tampa Bay is anythng but settled as a program. I know he and Kirby have discussed a potential move thoroughly. It may be a fait accompli. Three years is about the max he hangs with a program. This will affect recruiting commits present and future if and when he leaves. All we can do is wait.

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hopefully Kirby has a Plan B in his hip pocket

• Raw54Raw54 Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman
  • edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

I hope Monken is smart enough to know one more year would significantly raise his place in college history and financial worth as well. A three peet would lead to another head coaching opportunity with even just making the playoffs again doing the same thing.

• Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

As long as Mike Bobo is not considered for Monken's job if he should leave, Georgia will be fine. Bobo had his chance under Mark Richt, and proved he has no imagination. If the game was close, it was run it up the middle for three downs and punt. Give the other team a chance to win, which they usually did.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tampa Bay without a QB? Pass. Tampa Bay with Brady 1 more year? Pass. Tampa Bay with a bad OL? Pass. Tampa Bay with a HC with only a failed past as a HC? Pass.

Take the OC job and promised to replace Bowles? Tempting. Love the area and owners? Biggest reason to go back. Using it mostly just for leverage? I hope!

He is just getting started at UGA with what he can do with this offense. I mean year 1 was covid breakout, which was a wash pretty much. So 2 years and has a QB groomed to take over next year or...go to Tampa or Baltimore, both likely losing their QB's. I stay.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would be Ok with Bobo, unlike many of you. He, the offense or players, set many UGA offensive records when he was OC. And that included not having thee greatest O-Lines some years. He was so good at OC that it got him a HC job. But the game might have passed him by some with these newer offenses.

That being said Monk is 1 of the best in the world at all levels. So please stay at UGA Monk!

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bowles is in the last year of his contract and if they extend him, Monken may be gone. I doubt he leaves while Bowles is in the last year of his contract.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure why anyone would feel good about turning the offense over to Bobo, his time at SC and Auburn where he was OC resulted in 25 points per game average combined for those 2 years. 23.5 for SC and 26 per game for Auburn. I think we can do better. Not exactly innovative would you say?

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bobo could move the ball at will from the 20 to 20 yard line. But his red zone play calling made this year's look elite. Don't want to relive that again

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still say Aaron Murray should have spiked the ball and we would have had 2 chances to throw into the endzone. Of course it didn't help that Murray threw to the side of the field BAMA had loaded up on. (I assume that was Bobo's call). THat play was never going to be successful. Should have spiked the ball and been able to read the defense having 2 plays called. One for if they show this defense and a second to switch to if they showed another.

On the final play, we had one on one with our WR to the left of the formation. THere was no safety nearby. A quick inside slant to the left would have been a hard pass to defend against. But the rush with the clock running didn't leave time to audible. The play was called as everyone was running down the field.