Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Baltimore Ravens reportedly interview Todd Monken a second time for offensive coordinator opening

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageBaltimore Ravens reportedly interview Todd Monken a second time for offensive coordinator opening

Tampa isn’t the only team that seems interested in hiring Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network reports that the Baltimore Ravens are interviewing Monken for a second time as they look to fill their offensive coordinator opening.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Same news rewrapped Connor.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Same news rewrapped Connor." - Mobiledawg

@MobileDawg - I've noticed this too. There is a lot of copying and pasting going on from other sources. I know sometimes news is slim, but this is when you can try to go beyond just repeating what someone else has already tweeted. I wonder how hard it would be to make a few phone calls, shake a couple of sources and try to come up with something yourself? Instead, we get the info from the other news source and then a bunch of copying and pasting of previous articles. Lazy work.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I sure hope Monken will give us this one more year at least. I honestly believe our Dawgs can have a real shot at a 3peat. And I say that trying to briefly take off my homer hat. I just look at all the talent Still at UGA combined with the highly talented new. AND I look at the Coaching apart from Monken Still at UGA. But if Monken leaves I do think it would increase the height of the mountain quite a bit. Would our Dawgs still be successful, and life go on IF Monken left ? Of course they would !! As I said to much player talent and to many great coaches for the Dawgs not to be successful. But if he leaves it would increase the level of difficulty. Our players on the O would have to adjust to someone new. I hope the powers at UGA will do all they can to make it very hard for him to want to leave, but not paint themselves in a corner at the same time. If he leaves I’m not gonna fall on my sword, but I will be disappointed. Like the ole song by Jackson Browne “Stay just a little bit longer, please, please, say you will”

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still think John Harbaugh is a putz for dissing Georgia last year in his comments about the 2 best programs for preparing players for NFL success. I get why he didn’t single out Georgia after they fired his bro-in-law, but he’s still a putz imo. Billy21, I know you were joking, but I could see a kernel of truth in your comment.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And this story is really why I keep checking DawgNation every day. Despite so many Dawg fans who believe the "Monken is staying" line, (because Mike Cavan allegedly told a big-time donor that) after Monken didn't immediately latch on with Tampa Bay, I'm not so sure he won't go. Until there's an announcement from UGA that he's staying another year, nothing is certain. These NFL teams will keep upping the ante and it's obvious to me that so far, Monken isn't telling them to stop. I definitely want him to say but that said, it appears he definitely is interested in considering the possibility of leaving. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Billy, are you “joking” about the hiring of Monken or Michigan getting past the first round? 😂

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I generally just allow moves by coaches to play out. Monken is a master play schemer as TCU is still smarting from. Would UGA be showcasing two national titles without Todd Monken? I do not believe so. Bobo helped I am sure as Monken recited....However, know that Monken captains the UGA offense. He is the overall play-maker. He has opened up the UGA offense. He has made dramatic strides with the TEs. He confuses defenses with NFL-like play schemes. To lose Monken means a major loss. IMO. He is a producer...winner. I believe he may leave. UGA will be hard pressed to replace his enormous talent. I expected this move by Todd, he generally moves on after a few years. My hope? He lends us his leadership one more time.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Monken is more than willing to leave or he wouldn't be interviewing. All those teams need him. I think he is making a mistake. The NFL is a level playing field of talent and the players are entitled - makes it tough to win. Neither is true at UGA. Super talent and the right mindset. Also, he would be the only OC to win Three National Titles in a row. But, the lure of NFL money is great I guess.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People are driven by 3 things. Money, power-calling the shots, appreciation and acknowlegment(praise, awards). Monken has money and money obviously isn't what's floating his boat. THat's why I don't think offering him another 500K to stay will be the deciding factor. He is highly lauded so that knocks out appreciation and awards, the only thing left to drive him is power( headcoaching in the NFL where he calls the plays(power). He knows he has to start as an OC first-that's his ticket to a HC position. He's a chess master and you'd better believe he has thought this through.

Now all of these things no doubt go hand in hand and you can't truly dissect them but when you look at Monken, it's not the money and it doesn't seem to be about the praise. It's something much bigger.

All we can hope for at this point is he doesn't see the right fit for himself in the NFL this year.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It may not be power at all. He just might simply prefer the NFL over college as a coordinator. He won 2 natty's in college, but not the Super Bowl. Also the NFL is the highest level, the biggest stage, the biggest challenge and there are less hoops to jump through, all of the college recruiting, its rules on recruiting, NIL, transfer portal, etc. NFL is the ultimate challenge. And its simpler.

He has conquered college. He may just want to win a Super Bowl. Or a combination of winning the Super Bowl and not all the extra that comes with coaching in college vs the NFL. To me speculating its about power, is possible of course, but other reasons seem much more probable to me.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personally, I think I would put my money on Lamar leaving Baltimore. Based on how much he wants and Baltimore's history of not paying those huge contracts when they have faced doing so in the past. Could be wrong of course, like any opinion. The right OC might sway Jackson some.

But if you do not know for sure if Lamar is going to be there, why would you go there with no QB? You wouldn't. So my 2 cents is no Lamar, no Monken. He wants to win more than anything, as the article states.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg

Actually, Baltimore has a very good backup QB, Tyler Huntley, in place in case Lamar leaves. How good? He was added to the Pro Bowl roster. Huntley is a free agent but a restricted one, meaning that Baltimore can match any offer. Even better: Huntley is similar to Stetson Bennett IV. He is taller and has a stronger arm (SB IV is actually 6 months older) but is plenty mobile with a quick release, having played for a spread-type system at Utah. And the best part? The Ravens run a 2 TE offense. Their #1 TE, Mark Andrews, is a Pro Bowler with skills similar to Brock Bowers (except Bowers is faster, quicker and a much better athlete). And their main RB, JK Dobbins, was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield for Ohio State. So were the Ravens to lose Lamar, Monken would be able to do pretty much the same thing in Baltimore that he did in Athens last year.

Also, the Ravens are willing to pay Lamar. They just aren't willing to overpay Lamar. Lamar's contract demands of the Ravens are a moving target. For the past 2 years it has been "I want what the highest paid QB in the NFL is getting." So first he wanted Pat Mahomes' contract. When the Ravens came around to being willing to give it to him, then he wanted Josh Allen's contract. The Ravens - again - were like "fine we will work something out like that" now he is asking for Deshaun Watson's contract because it is 100% guaranteed. Part of it is ego, part of it is not having an agent. The best thing for Baltimore would be for Lamar to hit the free agent market and find out that no one is going to give him that type of money to someone who has only once reached 3000 yards passing in a season (and that was back in 2019!) and has spent the last 2 seasons battling injuries, and to return back to Baltimore for a much smaller deal than the Ravens was willing to pay him 2 years ago. The second best thing for Baltimore would be for some desperate team - like the Jets who may be tired of drafting QBs that don't pan out - to give Lamar what he wants, which would allow the Ravens to move forward with a guy who can very much get them to the playoffs while taking up much less cap space.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My guess: the teams remaining aren't going to pull the trigger on an OC until after the Super Bowl, likely. Brian Johnson, the Eagles QB coach and the former OC for Utah and Florida, is a guy that both Tampa and Baltimore should consider. For Baltimore, Johnson has a long history with mobile QBs (Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott). As for Tampa, their presumptive starting QB for 2023 is Kyle Trask (former 2nd round pick) and Johnson was his OC with the Gators for that 2020 record-setting offense.

And then there is the issue of the Kansas City Chiefs' Eric Bienemy. Despite being the OC for a team that is headed for their 3rd Super Bowl in 5 years (record-setting offense again despite their #1 RB and #2 WR injured and oh yeah no Tyreek Hill) NFL teams have been using the "it is Andy Reid's offense" as an excuse not to take him seriously (never mind that LOTS of former Andy Reid OCs have been hired as head coaches, making Bienemy the first and only Reid coordinator to go through this). So word has it that if the Chiefs win - which has a better chance of happening than people realize - Bienemy might make a lateral move just to remove the excuses.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec

Hey, you gave an opinion without being condescending. That's good! Keep it up!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg I agree with your comment …”and not all the extra that comes with coaching in college vs the NFL.”

as you get older, family time becomes more important