Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Grading Georgia football’s recruiting efforts for the 2023 recruiting cycle

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageGrading Georgia football’s recruiting efforts for the 2023 recruiting cycle

For the most part, the 2023 recruiting cycle has come to a close. The various recruiting sites have already updated their player rankings to reflect the 2024 signing class and Georgia assistants are currently on a brief vacation thanks to the dead period.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice synopsis Connor. I'm definitely not worried about the QB position with the studs we have currently due to be battling it out this Spring. We're also very much in the hunt for 2024 5-star QB Dylan Raiola to shore up the ranks next year. I am a bit concerned about the depth on the D-line as you pointed out, but if we can stay away from too many injuries we should be fine. I'm hoping Scott rotates and gives lots of reps to some of the newbies and other prospects to possible play on the line - especially early in the season with our weak schedule of games. Overall though, with a great linebacking core, we should have the strength to challenge any team's running game.

Our recruiting staff and coordinators continue to bring in elite talent to keep the train rolling. Gotta love it!

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Losing Haynes and Downs to Bama was unfortunate, but I’m convinced that as soon as players like Aguero (safety) and Robinson (running back) begin the development process at UGA the gap begins to narrow. UGA can develop talented players as well, if not better, than any program in the country. When a player who is ranked 3rd or 4th in the country at his position enters the UGA program, it is realistic to expect him to elevate very quickly to the top past those who were ranked higher as Seniors in HS.

This UGA Football Program has set itself apart with recruiting, development, and culture and we have every reason to think that championship opportunities will continue to be the results.

GO DAWGS!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

3 Comments.

Tray Scott was named Rivals "Recruiter of the Year". Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on Dawgnation. Congratulations CTS.

Have seen Tykee Smith in some mock drafts. Is he coming back or not? Does he need to "declare" for the draft as he is a SR (with eligibility remaining)?

Again no mention of Marcus Washington by CR.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FORGET the F-in stars....Haynes and Downs didn't have what it takes to be DAWGS....look at all of the 5 & 4 Star "talent" that Bama has recruited and have hit the TP....You recruit players like McConkey who possess the attitude, athleticism, and intelligence to embrace the hardships and rigors of UGA football instruction and blossom in that harsh environment and through the trials of conditioning and practice bond with the like team mates to produce the highest from of brotherhood...The TEAM. QB's....we don't need no stinkin QB's....we have three of the best in college football and one commit and they want to be DAWGS! All four know they have and will continue to contribute to the TEAM success.

Because of the elite development process at UGA, and the quality of the recruits on board, I would grade every position group no lower than A.

• CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has shown that while stacking up the 5 stars is great and impressive, developing these kids is even better. Brining in these 3 stars and making them superstars is where UGA seems to win big. Keep bringing in and keep developing and we will be on top for years to come!

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Just wanna say I appreciated reading all the comments below - great info from fellow fans! Pumped for the next season! GO DAWGS!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ab..so...lute...ly!!! Well said. Couldn't have said it better, myself.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@GtheGreek

UGA has had its share of players hit the transfer portal too. Also, don't deceive yourself. Haynes and Downs chose Alabama because the Tide has a much better track record of producing #1 picks at safety and RB than UGA does. UGA has produced 3 #1 picks at tailback this century: Knowshon Moreno, Todd Gurley and Sony Michel. When Jahmyr Gibbs goes off the board, Alabama will have equaled that number since 2019. And no, Kenny McIntosh won't join Gibbs. The analysts - and this is a consensus meaning more than just the scapegoat Mel Kiper - have McIntosh projected to join Zamir White in the 4th round. Before you protest, please recall that White is bigger than McIntosh, had better rushing stats at UGA and also ran a faster 40 time than McIntosh will. If McIntosh sneaks into the 3rd, it will only be thanks to the back-to-back national titles.

Caleb Downs? Same deal. Before Lewis Cine last season, you would have to go way back to Thomas Davis in 2005 to find the last safety UGA sent in the first round, and Davis was really a rover in Brian VanGorder's scheme, which is why he moved to LB in the NFL. By contrast, with Florida State, Miami, Texas and Ohio State having fallen off, Alabama competes with LSU to be "DB U", and usually every starter in their secondary gets drafted in the first 2 rounds. Eli Ricks, for example, is expected to be a 1st rounder despite having been a backup for the Tide for most of 2022.

If you look at this recruiting class - and the recent ones - UGA's best signees have been at OL, DL, LB and CB. The reason: UGA has produced several 1st (or 2nd) round picks and NFL starters at those positions under Smart. UGA has also cleaned up at TE, but that is a special case. Due to college and the NFL going to spreadball, no college team consistently produces high NFL draft picks at the position. But in raw numbers? UGA has basically everyone beat merely by having had a TE taken every year since 2019.

You want UGA to start (back) getting elite RB recruits? Then root for Kendall Milton to rush for 1300 yards next season and be drafted in the top 50. (Michel and Chubb went in the top 35. James Cook, however, went #63 with White going #122). But as Chris Smith is projected to be a third rounder then the safety recruiting is going to wait until Malachi Starks goes to the NFL to get a boost. (Kelee Ringo will add to what UGA has already produced at CB with DeAndre Baker, Eric Stokes and Tyson Campbell, who similar to Nick Chubb went at #33).

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 144 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thadec: good data. but gibbs is a bit of a stretch, coming from GT via TP.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish we had both Downs and Haynes. And Arch Manning, too. Just because they decided to play elsewhere doesn't mean they aren't good or won't be stars. It also doesn't mean we won't do well because I believe we will. But those guys were top-line recruits, desired by everyone INCLUDING Kirby Smart, for a reason. I can't say we'll miss them because we never had them, but I sure wish we did. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think anybody's saying that are good players. I believe they're saying, 'They are good players...but, they aren't Bulldogs (Dawgs), so they don't matter'. Lol