Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett among the 12 Georgia football players invited to 2023 NFL Combine

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20

You must really be down on SB to offer a few isolated catches as proof that SB had great receivers? Is that your point? SB had basically the same percentage completion rate as the guys I mentioned. That was based on hundreds of balls thrown over a couple of years. For all those QB's. I even left off a few I looked up like Russell Wilson who completed only 60.9 percent of his college passes(he went 3rd round and is another "undersized" guy), or a Kyler Murray who completed 67.4 percent of his passes with Oklahoma who had Marquise Brown and CeeDee Lamb(both 1st round WR's) again these percentages are based on hundreds of throws. Are you saying those 1st rounder never bailed their QB's out on occasions? Are you saying they never made diving catches or jumped and caught the majority of jump balls?

Are you saying having 1st round receivers didn't benefit Tua and Hurts with Devonte Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddel? We saw 1st hand how BAMA and Bryce Young was just a liitle more toothless without Jameson Williams and Metchie, didn't we, even though their backups were 4 star highly recruited players in their own right.

I never said we had slouches as receivers, so it's not either or, but we have not have the consistent level of talent that the BAMA's and the Sooners have consistently had at the WR position. Everyone knows that who is familiar with UGA football.

The only point of me writing that post was to say that SB should get drafted, and it should be higher than the 5th round, based on the players he's had to throw to and his big game accomplishments. HIs overall stats stack up against these other guys. Whether he does well or not at the next level is anyone's guess, but from what he has accomplished with so little talent (I guess is what you're saying). I wouldn't bet against him. You'd be a fool.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@reddawg1

Not down on SBIV at all. He is a good player that improved every year. The fact that he did improve year over year now puts him into draft consideration where, the word was, he really wasn't before. Most of all because of his size. It will only take 1 GM to fall in love w/SBIV to get him selected. And maybe higher than people think.

Size is a big component to NFL evaluation and selection. Because bigger players can withstand the bigger hits better. That's why Will Levis and Anthony Richardson are expected to be drafted high. Comparisons to Wilson, Hurts and Murray aren't really accurate size wise as they are all more stoutly built than SBIV. And time seems to be running out on Murray as a starter in the NFL. That is why they were drafted higher than SBIV is expected to be. That and not all NFL GM's make good decisions.

You implied that SBIV's receivers did not help him as much as the other QB's that you mentioned were helped. Like most of us, I have watched a lot of CFB the last few years. I have seen most (if not all) of AL games. I have seen OK games. TN games. Time after time (especially in the biggest games as mentioned) UGA 's elite receivers/players have made circus type plays for their QB. I haven't see that from AL or OK or TN. If you want to point out those circus plays made by LSU (SECCG) or AL (SECCG/CFBCG) I am all ears. I just pointed out a few that stuck in my mind. I can add another. The Jermaine Burton TD catch vs Mich on another underthrown 50/50 ball.

If you are going to compare UGA vs AL QB's and wr's shouldn't you also compare their OL's and TE's? If you put Bryce Young on the '22 UGA team how do you think he does behind the 2 time Joe Moore OL and with UGA's TE's?

Bad decisions can be made by GM's at WR too. Marquise Brown has not been a difference maker at wr in the NFL. Easy to predict AD having a better pro career. "we have not have the consistent level of talent that the BAMA's and the Sooners have consistently had at the WR position. Everyone knows that who is familiar with UGA football." Really? Based on the talking heads or the results on the field? Apples and oranges considering the different offenses and how UGA rotates multiple players.

SBIV is not a big dude with a cannon arm. His accuracy has been consistently inconsistent. A few isolated? A few is 3. I gave you 15 examples. THAT's why his draft position is questionable. That's why his combine (and would be Sr Bowl) will be critical to his draft position. IF he lights it up he may go pretty high. But to discount who he played with and how "good" they are is way off base.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

"If you put Bryce Young on the '22 UGA team how do you think he does behind the 2 time Joe Moore OL and with UGA's TE's?"

Well if you want to play that game then make it fair and look at the other side ot it. If you put Stetson Bennett in Alabama's pass heavy offense and give him Jameson Williams and John Metchie to throw to then maybe Bennett wins the Heisman.

"Size is a big component to NFL evaluation and selection. Because bigger players can withstand the bigger hits better"

Bryce Young has the same build and height as Stetson.

SBIV is not a big dude with a cannon arm.

Funny cause I just watched an interview with Brock Vandagriff who literally said Stetson has a cannon for an arm but I'm sure you know more than Stetson's own teammate

"His accuracy has been consistently inconsistent. A few isolated? A few is 3. I gave you 15 examples"

Even if you could, which I doubt , it means nothing. QB's go through streaks. As evidence I submit the 2021 Alabama-Auburn game. The first three and a half quarters Bryce Young was terrible. He got hot in the last three minutes to tie the game and win it in overtime. How about the 2021 National Championship game? With his team needing a touchdown Bryce Young throws a pick six yet when UGA needed a TD against Ohio State Stetson delivered. Do you remember that or did you conveniently forget?

Bottom line, you're just a Stetson hater. Anything he does good is because of his surrounding talent and anything he does wrong is proof that he is terrible. Yet history is littered with teams that had great talent all around but a mediocre qb, who couldn't win a natty. Especially two in a row. Why don't you stick to MG articles since he inspires you so much.

"

• Options

You're wasting your time talking to that dude. He's been slamming Bennett forever. I think it may be a MG sock account.

• Options

What a ridiculous comment. Every qb is aided by great catches. Sometimes miraculous catches that defy belief. See the last two Giants Super Bowl wins as proof.

What is wrong with you?

• Options

Comparisons to Wilson, Hurts and Murray aren't really accurate size wise as they are all more stoutly built than SBIV. 

Total nonsense. Historically, the NFL has desired tall QB's because it aids them in seeing over the line. In that regard Murray has a tougher time than Bennett. Yes he is built more stout but to list being stout as a prerequisite to playing qb is total bs that is easily disproven with Bryce Youngs draft status.

• Options
    edited February 2023

The weight comparisons are for draft position. Jalen Hurts is 225 lb. Wilson is 215. SBIV is 180. Durability questions will drop a guys draft position. Try to keep up.

SBIV didn't have the deep success this year he had last year (Auburn) . He consistently under threw guys. By NFL standards he does not have a cannon. It will be interesting to hear the evals after the combine. Something tells me he will struggle with arm strength and accuracy.

Bryce Young is a physical comparison. It will be interesting to see how he throws at the combine but he did have 29 more TD passes in the last 2 seasons. W/o playing his SR yr. And we have no idea if Young's lack of size will translate to pro success. But based on the eye test of 32 pro football GM's, BY is a #1 pick and SBIV isn't.

So ask yourself, if they are the same size, arm strength and accuracy why is 1 likely a 1st rd pick and the other a likely 4th(?) rd pick. Duh, because SBIV 's accuracy has been inconsistent. Don't shoot the messenger. I gave you 15 examples. MOST from the 4 playoff games alone.

It isn't that hard to understand. See with your eyes not with your rose colored glasses son. It might keep you from running your mouth when you really don't know what you are talking about.

• Options
    edited February 2023

"By NFL standards he does not have a cannon". 

What team do you a scout for again? I mean really, not your imaginary fantasy team. Have you gone and clocked Stetsons throws? Did he give you a private demo? Or are you just repeating crap you heard? He's obviously not Josh Allen or Brett Favre but few are. I'll simply repeat what I said before, Brock Vandagriff literally said Stetson has a cannon for an arm. Luckily, for all of us, you know more than Stetson's own teammate

"But based on the eye test of 32 pro football GM's, BY is a #1 pick"

You talked to em all huh? 

" So ask yourself, if they are the same size, arm strength and accuracy why is 1 likely a 1st rd pick and the other a likely 4th(?) rd pick. Duh, because SBIV 's accuracy has been inconsistent."

Not quite that simple GM wannabe. Age, speed, elusiveness, processing and a plethora of other small but real details can make a huge difference. The biggest thing Young excels at is improvisation when a play breaks down. That is his gift. He can make something out of nothing. One of the few things you have been right about was when you said " we have no idea if Young's lack of size will translate to pro success" that is true and taking him early is a gamble that a losing team with a GM on the hot seat may take. That changes nothing about what I said before. Young has more TDs because he played in a pass happy offense. Stetson has been more accurate and clutch when it counted most. He has two National Championships and Bryce has none. Alabama was every bit as talented as Georgia but Young couldn't drive them to victory. Remember that pick six I mentioned earlier? In summary, Stetsons completion percentage was very good and many of his deep passes were on target. Fun football fact you don't seem to understand, deep throws are not a high percentage passes. Not for Allen. Not for Favre and not even for Young.

However, we can all see that facts have never kept you from running your mouth.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Not sure what your man love is with Bryce Young (or SBIV) but I never brought him into this conversation. I responded to reddawg who said other QB's had better receivers making plays for them. Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension?

I gave multiple (15) examples that UGA receivers made elite level plays for SBIV. So elite that 3 of his CFBCG "clutch" TD passes were simultaneously caught and possessed by the offense and the defense in the end zone.

You don't have to be an NFL GM to see UGA wr's slowing down to wait for SBIV's deep throws. Go back and watch it this year. SBIV has an okay arm. Matt Ryan had an okay arm and did well in the NFL. SBIV's inconsistent accuracy is the concern. Something he can improve. Why his combine performance will greatly influence his draft position. If he is "on" he will move up. If he is not "on" he will probably move down. Football 101 when you take the bias out.

You also don't have to be an NFL GM to see that every draft prediction has BY early in the 1st rd. All those NFL insiders talk to the GM's so I don't have to. The consensus in every media account that I have seen is that BY will be an early #1 pick and SBIV won't. Again don't shoot the messenger. If you have a different source please share it.

Spin it any way you want. We will see in April.

"age, speed, elusiveness, processing and a plethora of other small but real details can make a huge difference. The biggest thing Young excels at is improvisation when a play breaks down. That is his gift. He can make something out of nothing." And SBIV can't? So besides age, if SBIV can do all the same things why is their draft rating different? Okay Mel Kiper, why is BY predicted to be a high draft choice and SBIV not by EVERYBODY (but you apparently)?

Again not sure why you went on a BY rant. I just stated facts. About UGA receivers helping SBIV and about BY's stats. BY had better stats, is considered a better pro prospect by the consensus of football people who have stated their opinions (outside of biased UGA fans) and SBIV had as elite receivers making plays for him as anybody in CFB. I know it is difficult for you to stay on track but try to keep up with me.

It will be interesting to watch how each of their pro careers play out.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I gave multiple (15) examples that UGA receivers made elite level plays for SBIV. 

With all due respect to you, the GM wannabe, as I have said before, every championship team "Every qb is aided by great catches. Sometimes miraculous catches that defy belief. See the last two Giants Super Bowl wins as proof". We can keep going round and round but that fact won't change.

"You don't have to be an NFL GM to see UGA wr's slowing down to wait for SBIV's deep throws. Go back and watch it this year"

I watched every game and some deep balls he underthrew and some he overthrew. Once again these are not high percentage passes.

"You also don't have to be an NFL GM to see that every draft prediction has BY early in the 1st rd. All those NFL insiders talk to the GM's" 

That's not you said before. You said all 32 GMs. That's a blanket statement and probably a lie. The Steelers for example like big, tall, strong armed qbs who can throw in the cold northern winds. Same for Buffalo. Of course neither of those teams are drafting a qb but, point is, for some GMs, Youngs size is a really big concern to the point they wouldn't draft him in the first. I don't need to read it. I watch enough football to know it.

"Spin it any way you want. We will see in April"

I'm not spinning anything. We all know Bennett is not a first day pick and probably not a second. On that point you are right. The problem people, including me, have with you is, you come on here bashing Stetson with the he shoulda done this and he shoulda done that. Talking like you're an authority and basically saying Bennett sucks and the only reason he completes any passes is because he has great talent around him. Those are all lies. Bennett had far from a great WR group last year and when he had to be clutch he was. You don't think CJ Stroud has the receivers to make him look great? Bennett did his job to perfection. He sure as hell wasn't picked off on any game winning drive. As I said before, you like MG, bash him constantly and unfairly. That's why both of you are disliked on this topic.

"And SBIV can't?" 

Not the way Young can. no.

"Okay Mel Kiper, why is BY predicted to be a high draft choice and SBIV not by EVERYBODY (but you apparently)?"

I never said Stet would be a high pick. I just don't like your constant and unfair nagging on him.

"and SBIV had as elite receivers making plays for him as anybody in CFB. I know it is difficult for you to stay on track but try to keep up with me"

So, according to you, Stet made no good throws? It was all his receivers? He didn't fit the ball into any small windows on that game winning drive against Ohio State? The receivers, just somehow miraculously, plucked his wounded ducks from out of the sky? You see, that's why nobody can keep up with you because you're delusional. Only in your little world did Georgia have the same receiver play as Ohio State last season. What a joke.

Summary: Stetson guided UGA to two National Championships. He held off five and four star qb's while doing it. Kirby believed he was the right man and he delivered. Stroud didn't. Neither did Young.

Bennett will not be an early pick for many reasons. His size being the biggest reason. The similarly sized Young will be because he has " the best read progressions of any quarterback available with a sizable arm and the legs to escape the pocket at the right time" according to Mel Kiper.

None of that takes away what Bennett did and how great he was as UGAs quarterback. No matter what you say, Bennett was clutch and achieved the goal. You can't take that away.