Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Philadelphia Eagles set to interview Georgia DC Glenn Schumann

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageReport: Philadelphia Eagles set to interview Georgia DC Glenn Schumann

Kirby Smart knows better than anyone that one byproduct of having great success is that other teams and programs will come looking to hire his staff members.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well looks like the price of success has caught up with UGA. That’s Good and Bad. Good as it give UGA even more National exposure. Bad as it makes the climb for a 3peat and additional success a little steeper. For selfish sake to keep him at UGA, I’d hate to see him go. But if he does get hired there it shouldn’t be quite as painful and add as much mystery to the future as Dawgs will still have Will Muschamp and Kirby himself. I just hope very selfishly on my part that this is the last possible coaching departure or possible departure for This particular season. We need all the Coaching Staff and Players totally focused on Winning and bringing home a 3peat !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree and don’t forget Schumann leaving is not a total void. It would open-up another coaching position and I bet Smart has a few folks in mind who would take a raise and have the opportunity to coach with the best football program in America. But, nothing says Schumann is definitely leaving even if offered the new job. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would only be concerned about impacts to recruiting.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby's coaching tree is adding branches every year. Very impressive...

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nay, nay, nay. Keep away!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recruiting....I agree. This coaching merry go round is hard to absorb. The second I saw Schumann's photo leading the article..i knew..uh oh, they are after Glenn S. Kirby better have Plan B in place. I know who it will be....I'll let you guess.

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am struggling with the math. Shumman is 32, and started with Smart in 2008 at Alabama, 15 years ago. That would suggest he started at Alabama when he was 17. Did he come straight from his 11th grade high school?? Someone help me here???

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Muschamp in the wings. He is a fantastic defensive coach. So no worries there.

Nakobe Dean and Jordan Davis in Philly makes it very interesting. If they were to offer the job. I bet they might offer him an assistant-type job at best, not full DC responsibilities after 1 year of play-calling and never been in the NFL.

Most likely just the interview experience and getting a foot in the door for the future. Interesting the NFL being interested though.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby new these days would be coming (if he gets hired) which is why he picked up bery good (and to some great) coordinators in Bobo and Muschamp to deservedly fill the void and keep continuity, which is so important for the continual climb. Love we have 2 great former coordinators and UGA alums on staff!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your math is correct. He enrolled at Bama and took a position as a Student Assistant. Then I believe moved into a GA role a few years later.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I read through the comments and my exact point. He is too young and the NFL would eat him alive. Help Georgia win 4 in a row and then consider leaving.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

As a full on DC I would agree, but as a position coach it might be a great opportunity for him. And in the perfect fit he could hold a DC. Remember he has been coaching in some aspect since he started college. Many don’t start until they are out of college.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look around at recent NFL coaching hires. The trend is to go younger. That's very much in vogue these days, even with head coaches. I hope he doesn't leave, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. And then Kirby can just elevate Muschamp into the job full time. Lord have mercy. Can we just get to 2023 season already. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think, it's probably BECAUSE of the LB talent coming out of UGA and the level of preparedness of Dean and Davis...THAT Philly is interested in Schumann.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lord have mercy. Can we just get to 2023 season already?

Could not agree with this statement more!

Well said!

Let spring training begin!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess at his age, he can't really go wrong whatever he chooses. Does he want to be a NFL coach or a college coach? You can obviously do the NFL thing and learn and then come back to the college game, many have done it. But you'll never know til you try.

But if your goal is to be a college head coach then another season or two with UGA while we pursue history wouldn't look too shabby on your college head coaching interview resume at a top school.