Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia quarterbacks preview crucial 2023 position battle: ‘It will be a lot of fun’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterbacks preview crucial 2023 position battle: ‘It will be a lot of fun’

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

“Everyone brings something different to the table and hopefully it will be something to look out for this spring.”

It would be interesting to know which of these three QB's are excelling above the others in reading the defense. I haven't heard any assessments on any of the three for that particular skill, but I would imagine that it would be a major factor. Beck may have an advantage in this area from an experience standpoint, but I just haven't heard it addressed (unless I just missed it). I think Daniels was very good at reading defenses, and Bennett made a noticeable improvement from 2021 to 2022 and seemed to do really well. Hopefully all three have had the opportunity to pick their (Daniels and Bennett) brains, along with the excellent coaching from Monken and now Bobo. This could be a difference maker in an otherwise "too close to call" decision on who gets the keys to a high performance offense.

GO DAWGS!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoever can slow the game down in their head the most will emerge.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've definitely been pleased that Smart has given the QBs some "breathing room" and with that all 3 should feel like they have a fair shot at it.

Obviously, haven't seen Stockton play yet, so he's certainly longer odds and Beck had made 100x improvement even at a year ago for the G Day game and likely could've been an excellent QB for us last year so he's the obvious likely candidate.

Vandagriff is the biggest variable right now as well as the most likely to Transfer. He obviously has a boat load of talent, but I haven't yet seen from him the polish to run a NC offense. My gut says that Stockton will the 2nd and Vandagriff will transfer.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Note item #6 on Monken's list above...."athletic QB who can make off-schedule plays"....makes me wonder whether Beck is really going to win this QB battle...agree with the statement...my bet is we go into the Fall undecided on a definite starting QB and continue the competition through some of the season.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree... both before and after the snap, especially the speed in which to do so. That's part of football IQ, and it's the crucial step up between high school and elite college program QBs, and again in the transition to the League. Along with elusiveness, it's just as necessary as any physical skills and toughness. Go Dawgs.

• sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

CKS will keep his cards close on who is favored to start so as not to spook any of his QBs, but internally, the QBs will have a good idea themselves after spring practice. Expect at least 1 transfer.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For a head coach who "mismanages talented qbs", Kirby sure does seem to attract a lot of them.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those who may not remember, Stetson Bennett was the scout team qb, for the 2017 match-up with Oklahoma. He played the role of Baker Mayfield and was a big reason uga was prepared and won that game. Likely Stockton or Vandagriff will be scout team qb and will be very valuable, to the team. None of those guys appears to be anything but a team player. I doubt any of the three transfers, this year. But I also said Monken would not leave, so my record is not stellar.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tom Brady, arguably the greatest QB of all time, was not athletic by any stretch. Same for Peyton Manning. If Beck can accurately throw it to receivers downfield, he won't have to make that many "off-schedule plays." I believe he can do that and I hope that he wins the job. I'm excited about the idea of seeing UGA pass the ball up and down the field, and have people talk about our WRs the way they talk about those at Alabama and Tennessee. I believe Beck can get us to that point. Go Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DallasDawg...I don't disagree, but I do think there are more dual threat guys making waves than pro-style QBs in college ball. I also have read that Kirby has come to really see the potential advantage to having a dual threat QB after seeing Stet making multiple lost yardage plays into big gains and/or just teeing up a QB run for a TD or big gain. Personally, I just want the guy that can lead, is respected by the players, and knows how to win. And if that guy is Beck then great. But if not, then so be it. All of us look forward to the competition.

• KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 76 ✭✭ Sophomore

I Think Beck has a lot going for him and he has stuck around. I don't want to see him skipped over if he's really good BUT, I got a special like for Vandergriff because I remember all that extra recruiting he did for the Dogs during the COVID year(s). I can't remember it real good but he had a bunch of future Dogs in the bed of a pick-up at one point.