Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Todd Monken promoted Mike Bobo for Georgia football O.C. job, foreshadowed departure

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageHow Todd Monken promoted Mike Bobo for Georgia football O.C. job, foreshadowed departure

Todd Monken provided insight into new Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo while addressing the media last December, likely helping Bobo’s chances for succeeding him without even realizing it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This was much better than the trash I just read by Conor

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"It’s not unbelievable to Coach Kirby Smart..." What is believable, to me, is that Smart had just this in mind when he brought back Bobo last year, much the same with Muschamp. Would we be astonished to discover that Kirby Smart was thinking ahead to the likelihood that his assistants would move on?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@ColumbusDawg

Not actually.

Monken’s “vagabond” reference proved true less than two months later when he left for Baltimore job, where he’ll be tasked with helping head coach John Harbaugh break a 10-year winless drought in the NFL playoffs.

Baltimore beat the Tennessee Titans 20-13 in the 2020 playoffs.

They also won a wildcard game against the Steelers in 2014.

And 10 years ago Baltimore won the Super Bowl against San Francisco.

The Conor article, though it does deserve its share of criticism and can be attributed to the "no news period before the NFL combine next week and spring practice in 2 months so I need to contrive something" was at least factual.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm cautiously positive about Bobo. I was kinda surprised that he wasn't hired to be the full-time QB coach at the time (since I believe he was very well respected in that arena), but maybe this was the reason why.

My expectations are that, for this season, what you will see is probably 75% of what Monken has established and 25% of Bobo. I suspect there will be a lot of people that claim "there is zero dropoff from Monken to Bobo" and that'll be the reason why. The 2024 season will show us what he's really capable of doing from recruiting down to playcalling.

The one thing I'm confident about is that Bobo is going to have to follow Smart's guidelines. He's not the whole self-appointed-CEO. He gets involved. If Bobo starts doing predictable and conservative calls, Smart will be correcting that off camera.

I will say that if Bobo works out, he should be a long time hire (since he's already gone through his HC stage and is now "back home") and we could really be establishing a long term dominance.

Can't wait to see the action on G-Day.

• Options

@kirkhilles

You might want to look at Kirby Smart's moves more carefully.

In 2021, it was obvious that Dan Lanning and Schumann weren't going to be around much longer. So Smart brings in Will Muschamp as an analyst. Lanning leaves, Muschamp is the new co-DC. Muschamp has blown it in 2 SEC East head coaching jobs - in retrospect he should have stayed at Texas where he was head coach in waiting - so he isn't going anywhere.

In 2022, it was obvious that Monken wasn't going to bring around much longer. So Smart brings in Bobo as an analyst. Monken leaves, Bobo is the new OC. Bobo failed as a mid-major coach for a program that was winning when he got there, and then failed as the South Carolina and Auburn OCs (though neither was his fault really) so he isn't going anywhere.

It honestly appears that with Smart, Muschamp and Bobo, CKS has achieved the stability that eluded Saban. Saban's last two coordinator hires were bad (Golding was a failure as a recruiter and a DC, Bill O'Brien was a failure as a recruiter and last season didn't adapt his scheme to fit the talent) which explains that program's decline.

Of course, this means that UGA will probably lose some position coaches. Dell McGee and Bryan McClendon are going to have to leave if they want to be coordinators and head coaches. McGee, McClendon, Lanning etc. are going to leave the next good opportunities they get because with Muschamp and Bobo there are no chances for advancement in Athens. But better to lose position coaches than coordinators.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone knows Bobo wasn't hired to be an analyst for ever and ever. Neither was Muschamp to be a DB coach. THis was all Kirby thinking way ahead. As far as them now being the OC and Co-DC(for right now) , we are as sound as you can get.

I don't know just how many ways there is to slice an onion, or plays you can design that no ones ever thought of before. I think the genuis perhaps is knowing what the other team's strengths, weaknesses, and their tendencies are and knowing what your team does best and what each individual on your team performs best at and then having the ability to call the right plays at the right time. You can scheme for a team all week but what happens when that doesn't work? Can you make adjustments in real time?

Are you patient enough to set a team up for a particular play at just the right time?

And then you need some JImmies and Joes that can pull it off!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Actually the Ravens lost in 2020 to the Titans in the playoffs.. So, Mike was more spot on with his comment than your "expertise" was on the subject.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@1SICemDAWGS1

Nope. What you are referring to is the 2020 game that happened after the 2019 season. I was talking about the 2021 game that happened after the 2020 season that the Ravens won 20-13. See below.

Also, even if I had been wrong - and I wasn't - Mike wasn't spot on at all.

1. Ravens won the 2012 Super Bowl
    2. Ravens won a playoff game in 2014

It is also "curious" that Mike feels that it is even possible to go 10 years without winning a playoff game in Baltimore without getting fired. This is the franchise that fired Brian Billick within a few years of his winning a Super Bowl.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I have always been a Coach Bobo fan ….especially when he learned how to coach with Aaron Murray at the helm! 🤣😎

Hey, congrats on your recent comments badge…

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Agree totally. Kirby is building a lasting program, not just one or even two dynamic seasons. And Yes I absolutely believe he looks ahead to what “Might” be. And just like games he has a plan in his mind. No One can Guarantee instant success to those who are disappointed in Bobo being hired. That’s true with Any Coach out there, no matter their pedigree. And Yes there will probably be sometimes he makes bad calls, not all of Monken’s calls were perfect !! But without going into repeating all the Why that has been repeated over and over again, I believe Kirby was able to see past 10 years ago and hire Bobo for the here and now. I Will say this Bobo better take vitamins and get good rest when he can as he’s gonna be under a Ton of stress !! Every move he makes will be under a microscope, and any bad calls he makes will be greeted with howls of See There !! See There !! Told You So !! I just hope he gets due credit for the Great calls I believe we’re gonna also see !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good point, @navydawg. Monken, as much as I liked him and as great as he was, was imperfect as a play called or so it appeared. Of course, the perfect play can be called but fail due to several reasons including what is done by Jimmy and Joe on the field. A deliberately imperfect play can be a setup for later. Etc.

Someone once mentioned a team which ran only one play. It worked well so nothing else was needed.

Go, Dawgs!