Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

David Greene confident in Georgia OC Mike Bobo, shares what he has in common with Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageDavid Greene confident in Georgia OC Mike Bobo, shares what he has in common with Stetson Bennett

ATHENS — Georgia football fans know that David Greene knows a winner when he sees one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seems a lot of former Dawg players have confidence that Kirby Smart didn't make a panic move when he promoted Bobo. I heard somebody say the other day that "since Smart could have had his choice of OCs from anywhere, why, oh why did he pick Bobo?" Good question. He must have had his reasons. Good enough for me.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hoping Bobo is right for the moment. Mark Richt was fantastic in a lot of areas, but he couldn't choose good coordinators. Most fans wince at the mention of Willie Martinez and Brian Schottenheimer. K Smart has only had one - Coley, but he did bring in Monken. Even Nick Saban has one or two. Dabo is learning a lot about that problem. A lot depends on those top Coordinators.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it has a lot more to do with familiarity. Easier to transition with coaches that know the system and have been around the program. He had no choice after Coley. While Coley was a great recruiter, OC definitely not. Seems almost as if there was a push for Coley to A&M, lol. I think Bobo will do well, will it be the high scoring we're used to, we'll see. If not, like stated, Kirby will have a bunch of choices for the next in line.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

IMO...the scoring will be much higher. I expect Bobo (and company) to break some records, this year. He has everything he needs...except a leader at QB. But, he has an excellent cupboard of talent to choose from.

I also think the narrative, "this was a panic hire for Kirby", is preposterous and ill-informed. I said last year...after Kirby brought Mike in...that Kirby was setting the table for Monkin to leave after the 2022 season. He had Bobo in mind all along...he brought him in to adjust to UGA's current system and pick Monkins brain. Not to mention, providing Monkin, Smart and Muschamp, with an uber-qualified "sounding board".

We ARE...where we are, with Bobo as OC...because...that was Kirby's longterm plan for stability in Athens from the beginning. It fell into place relatively quickly due to fortuitous "timing and opportunity".

If you don't think CKS has been planning for the UGA Head Coaching position since the early 2000's...you haven't been paying attention. Muschamp, Bobo and Smart have all been HC's and OC's around the league...but, always with an eye on Athens. Now, that they are settling into their roles together...once again, on the same team, with a common goal...I don't believe any of em will be going anywhere, anytime soon.

It's the perfect storm of coaching. Mike Bobo adds something to UGA's coaching staff, that no other coach in the Nation is capable of adding...QB Expertise, commitment to the "G", energy and above all..."chemistry". It's great, that all these former Dawg Stars & Head Coaches (to incl. Bryan McClendon) can set their egos aside, to work together, for a common goal.

Right now...I think they are all, exactly where they want to be. No wanderlust or ambition to leave. They can commit 100% of their thought and focus to making the Dawgs better, without stressing over "the next move". They're home and having the time of their lives...and, Dawg Fans are reaping the benefits.

We should all be relishing this "Era of the Dawg". We may never see anything like it again. Great Coaching Staff, Great Athletes and Great Venue....who could ask for anything more. Lol...it's a fine time to be a Dawg.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohhh Yeah !!! This Is very exciting. I don’t recall at least in my soon 66 years, this many former Dawgs on staff !! Like you said we may never see another era of Georgia football like we’re about to see !! I wouldn’t be shocked, a bit surprised maybe, but not shocked if this team turns out to be better over all than the 2021, 2022 teams !! That’s overall not just a specific area, like 2021 was a better Defense, 2022 it can be said was a better Offense. Wouldn’t it be So cool if this team had like the 2021 Defense and the 2022 Offense in terms of production, AND a even better Special Teams ?? 😀

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Special teams, 100%. Really hopeful we figure out extra points. 2 misses in a year was worrisome with Podlesny. Hopefully that's behind us. It's only 2 points, but it could've been a lot worse. Have to say I cringed a lot when he got ready to kick PATs, lol. And hopefully we can have Arian Smith back there returning kicks, that speed, and hopefully better blocking, on kickoff returns would be something fun to watch.