Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Public doubt of Kelee Ringo grows entering pivotal 2023 NFL Combine: ‘A work in progress’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imagePublic doubt of Kelee Ringo grows entering pivotal 2023 NFL Combine: ‘A work in progress’

Despite being one of the most physically gifted players in the 2023 NFL Draft cycle, Kelee Ringo is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can say this, I see where Jeremiah is coming from. He lacks flexibility. Straight speed is there, change of direction is horrible. But even that is questionable some games. Don't know if he was sore, or something going on, but was consistently beat my slower receivers. Maybe it's just deceiving to the eyes, but he also looked to try and just run with the receivers after he blew the coverage and most receivers are already gone at that point. The other thing is, tackling is inconsistent.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

The interception against Alabama in the NC games was a very poorly thrown ball. If it's on target, Ringo is beat for an easy TD. Not to mention the numerous Pass Interference calls against him. I see the size, and speed but his coverage skills are questionable.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

With the UGA D most teams are not going to score a lot of points. Whether encouraged or not, Ringo and Starks both gamble on balls in the air vs arriving at the WR with bad intentions the same time the ball does. It is more fun to mug for the crowd w/the turnover shoulder pads on than have to hit somebody. One helps build your brand the other could get you hurt.

In the right D, as Jeremiah says, Ringo can be an effective CB. Especially against the bigger wr's. Long term he may end up at S if he is willing to work on his tackling.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish K. Ringo the very best. Maybe he can have a great combine and up his stock some. He seems to be a great guy as far as character goes. But he’s gonna have to work really hard and learn as much as he can in a short period of time. I don’t want to knock on him to harshly but he’s just been inconsistent. He will make a pretty good play and then get scorched on the next one. I don’t know what the remedy is or even If there’s a remedy for him, but he’s gonna have to put in tons more work than the norm to make it happen. These things said I feel he’s a DGD, and I’ll be ever grateful for his contribution to the Dawgs.

Nailed it with the part about a move to safety. I think he could be an elite safety at the next level. Especially with his speed. Work on his tackling and he's gonna play some years in the NFL. Just hope someone takes him knowing that. Not pick him in the 1st/2nd round and give him no time to learn.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@kylnmeg10 @navydawg @UGADad20

Disagree totally. You have to look at the guys that teams take in the first round of the draft.

First 12 picks: guys with basically no flaws (great speed, size, natural cover ability with refined skills) that can play any role in any system

Middle of the first round: guys with one flaw - usually size or speed - that can still play in any system but not every role i.e. can't play LCB

Bottom of the first round: guys with multiple flaws but would still be excellent starters in the right position and scheme.

As for Ringo, forget about him playing LCB regardless of the scheme. But Ringo would be an excellent RCB for teams like Pittsburgh and New England who play zone. And he would be a very good slot CB for any team.

Don't believe me? Look at some of the guys who went in the 20s in recent drafts. Trent McDuffie, a natural and skilled cover corner but 5'11", 190 lbs and played in the Pac-12? Forget about LCB where he would frequently match up with big #1 WRs. Not physical enough for strongside CB or slot in a zone defense where he would often have to tackle 225 lb. RBs and 260 lb. TEs and even be used as a blitzer. But as a slot CB in Kansas City's 4-3 defense? Perfect.

Another guy? The University of Florida's Kaiir Elam. Look at his scouting profile and look at Ringo's:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kelee-ringo/32005249-4e50-4723-3a49-9257661a7422

They are basically the same player: big physical CBs who aren't natural cover guys, especially on deep balls. Elam went #23 overall to the Bills, and will take over for Dane Jackson (a free agent the Bills picked up from Pittsburgh who isn't that good) at RCB next season.

Bottom line: 3 WR set is now a base offense in the NFL. And on nearly every team, the "TE" is actually an inline receiver who runs short and intermediate routes (which isn't in the interests of a guy like Darnell Washington who is far more proven as a blocker than a route runner/pass catcher at this point) so go ahead and call that 4. Means that there are 96 starting jobs for CBs, and no way that 32 teams are going to pass up Ringo for one of them.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are absolutely right about most of what you said. On Ringo's pick6 the WR was behind him. The DL pressured BYoung and he couldn't get enough (little guys don't have big arms) on the ball to get it over Ringo's head. The ball was underthrown and the rest is history.

Part of Ringo's problems were eyes in the backfield and losing the WR's while looking for INT's. Maybe he was coached that way, IDK. ALL CB's get beat. The CB's that don't get pressure on the QB from the DL get beat more.

Ringo is a little stiff and slow to flip his hips. Straight line fast (6'3" long strider). He will have trouble with the short, quick WR's and do better vs the tall, big WR's.

@thadec

I don't see the comparison w/Elam. Elam is 2" shorter and 20 lbs lighter. Quicker, true CB skills. IF Ringo puts on any more weight he is definitely a S. As for slot CB, NFL slot guys are usually quick little guys that can get off a jam or go in motion. Those are the guys that will give him trouble.

There's a reason CKS had Ringo cover Cedric Tillman and not Jalen Hyatt.

edited March 2023

I see exactly what you mean, but slot CB, No way. He gets caught by change of direction constantly. If he's running stride for stride, yeah he's got that down. But see the LSU game, the OSU game, Alabama before Jameson and metchie went down. Go ahead and stick him with someone like Hill at the next level in the slot, immediate 6(but that's a tough take for a lot of single coverage). He falls for fakes way too much. Like I said, he will more than likely be switched to safety. And he could stay at CB in certain schemes, as you alluded to, but whoever picks him needs to not have 5 CBs who can play the exact same position. All I gotta say is, wait for his testing. If he's any kind of slow on cones and foot drills, as compared to his 40, safety will be brought up, A LOT.