Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett primed to perform at NFL Combine on Saturday, recalls 33-18 win over Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 11,098 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett primed to perform at NFL Combine on Saturday, recalls 33-18 win over Alabama

INDIANAPOLIS — Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett will line up on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf hoping to run the fastest 40-yard dash time of his life on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

@MikeGriffith Glad to see some positive stories from you concerning the GOAT of Georgia quarterbacks!

I thought his comment about ‘the fumble’ was hilarious self-deprecating humor—similar to his post-Peach Bowl comment about ‘the lateral’ to McConkey.

He wasn’t always perfect, not by a long shot, but Stetson came through over and over again when it mattered most.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s reporting, and hoping Bennett puts up some good combine numbers as a result of his recent training and preparation.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

I second that!!!

I don't believe Bennett's numbers, are going to be eye-popping, though. That's not who he is. He uses all of his senses to play the QB position. His strength is going to be, "his accuracy and quickness on the field"...and, the interview process (which we won't be privy to).

Honestly...I don't think any of this, matters much, as far as Bennett's concerned. I believe, he's going to Baltimore, come "hell or high water". Perfect timing. Baltimore is going to wind up, dumping Jackson's astronomical contract, in favor of drafting Stetson as soon as necessary.

Baltimore, is starting fresh, on the offensive side of the ball, with Todd Monkin. They are likely gonna trade Jackson due to his contract demands...(he wants to be "highest paid player in the NFL). Bennett is already familiar with Monkin's thought process and football terminology, can make all the throws, mobile and free of serious injury. He's virtually, "plug 'n play", compared to bringing a guy in, to spend a year, learning what Bennett already knows.

Monkin and the Ravens, don't want anybody else sniffing around Bennett. There's already a few. The fewer competitors for the product...the lower the price...the lower the risk. I.e., the "lower", Baltimore can go in the draft for Bennett...the smaller the contract, or investment. But, Monkin already knows what he's getting. He already has all the answers on Stetson that other clubs are looking for. It shouldn't be a tough decision.

Lol...Bennett's going to shock a lot of people...you know...the ones with egg, already on their face.

Depending on how many clubs, show interest in Bennett, moving forward from the Combine Week...he will probably go in the 2nd to 4th round. I don't think Baltimore will allow it to go past the 4th round.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guy's numbers for this past season (yds, %, TDs, ints) compare favorably with the 5 cinch 1st rounders. And, somebody somewhere noted that he didn't throw a pass in the 4th qtr of 7 or 8 games. His totals for 20+ yd completions compare favorably . And, if you look at the video, when he and Bryce meet after the Natty, they are looking eye to eye, 5'10 or 6' or whatevs..

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The rap on him from the scouts hasn't been just size. Right? Hasn't it also been arm strength?

To my untrained eye, he had plenty of zip on the ball when it mattered, but Young, Herndon, Levis and Stroud seem to have an easier time airing it out.

@BigDawg61: I guess we'll see more data from the combine, but -- based on what the (often wrong) experts say -- do you really think any NFL team is going to draft Bennett with the idea of building an offense around him?

Not saying there's not a route for him to being a starter. I can see him as a very dangerous backup for a time with an opportunity to prove himself, before any franchise will feel comfortable making him The Man.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Wow," is what I think.

I did mean to mention before that he has a way of outperforming expectations -- particularly when it counts. I'll still be surprised if a team drafts him thinking that he's their guy for the next 10 years ... but not THAT suprised!

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61 Great theory re: Baltimore/SBIV/Monken. But Ravens will franchise tag him (if not cave and pay him based on Baltimore fan reaction - mutiny - if they let him go). SBIV could be a really interesting insurance policy at QB given how average Tyler Huntley (3rd rounder from Utah) looked this year in backup duties. And the connection with Monken. Although I thought he and SBIV butted heads a bit (?)

edited March 2023

Another possibility...believe it or not...is that he lands with the Falcons.

Afterall...Arthur Smith runs a similar style offense as UGA & recent history with UGA players, helps the cause, I think. They took Schaffer and Fitzpatrick, last year.

The Falcons are most definitely "QB Poor". After Mariota left, all they have, is Ridder. And, Ridder is not as good a QB as Bennett, IMO. In fact...I never was very impressed with Ridder. Good kid, with some tools in the bag...but, not a good QB, pre-play. Which is when you decide where to go with the ball, or whether to run it, or audible.

Of course, Ridder grew up a little bit, last season. He may have corrected some of his weak areas. We'll see. Lol

Either way...Atlanta will need a capable backup. So, there's an opening at QB and they have lots of money to play with.