Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia basketball comeback falls short in SEC tourney against LSU

SystemSystem Posts: 10,587 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia basketball comeback falls short in SEC tourney against LSU

Georgia basketball ran out of gas in Nashville with the Bulldogs falling 72-67 to LSU on the opening night of the SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament at Bridgestone Arena.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 171 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well as I said earlier we started 12-4 and I was extremely encouraged BUT then we finished the last 16 games 4-12. Bad news is we didn't have a winning season good new is we didn't have a losing season. As university of Florida is learning to say in football. Oh well wait till next year.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It got painful to watch and listen to the second half of the season. I kept thinking "but we are better than this". Seems no, we weren't.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like someone said on a basketball post one time, maybe Kirby should coach basketball too. He couldn’t do any worse.

• Options
    BackHomeBackHome Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

It was painful to watch us scrape by Bucknell early on. Maybe someone will solve the mystery. We weren’t great when I was here going to every game, but it was fun and competitive. Let’s get that back!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ground Hog Day repeats itself once again within the confines of the putred University of Georgia basketball program.

Let's face the facts of reality folks...this squad was no better than what we've seen in decades from almost every UGA BB team...This program just went 4 -12 the last half of the season in league play...this is where improvements were needed in Whites 1st year in Athens...he failed miserably.

Like the outdated crumbling cow corral this abysmal program resides in.This head coach is already thinking what did I get myself into here at UGA.You can change coaches every 4-6 years but Stegman will always claim its victims early into the abyss of forever being basketball 🏀 loserville USA.

Rather watch paint dry...Goooday!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wonder where Mike White will land next? He is not used to this sort of misery. He admitted it earlier. UGA is simply not a winning basketball program. Next year will be no different...IMO. Forget the overall 50% wins...SEC play is abominable....lost last six in a row. Mike...playing "hard" and playing "well" aren't the same. Next year...uh huh...next year. Wish you the best.

• Options
    SatbodSatbod Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Falling down arena; fallen down program. Pathetically familiar…

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is not a Mike White issue. The problem is one of support. When you have to replace your first 7+ every year with more journeyman players, success is not even a remote possibility. Until UGA makes an investment in facilities & enough NIL money is made available to attract more than one ore two decent recruits, the Dawgs will remain the SEC’s doormat. As we have seen with football, it’s about money, facilities, & recruiting in addition to coaching.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Lol...they wound up about as good as they were in 2020...with the #1 player in the Country...Anthony Edwards.

It's not personnel, folks. It's Coaching. Some may even blame lack of Athletic Administration support. However, I would argue...it's the job of the HC of the Basketball Program to push the Administration for support. Much like Kirby Smart and CMR before Him. I haven't seen that.

I haven't seen a big outpouring of discontent from the fanbase, either. Which would put pressure on UGA administrators to kick it up a notch. UGA must hire a "Kirby Smart" for it's Basketball Program or be content with Perpetual mediocrity.

Now, I'm no Basketball expert. Loved playing...hated watching. Lol...but, even I can see what's going on. UGA keeps hiring coaches that want to come in and implement THEIR brand of basketball...regardless of available personnel.

White's brand of basketball appears to be reactionary. Not aggressive at all. Their MO, as it appears to me, is...get the ball, when allowed...pass ball for length of shot clock, to eat up game time and delay the inevitable....force shot under basket after passing up numerous opportunities to shoot from the perimeter...miss layup...lose game.

One of the Dawgs most successful teams, ran a full court press 70-80% of the game and played great defense. They were competitive and went to the show at the end of the season. It makes up for a lot of shortcomings...such as pathetic rebounding and inexperienced, panicky players.

White, is running a game that would require the likes of Dominique Wilkins, to be semi-successful. He states that they are the "best conditioned team in the SEC". They should be able to win most of their SEC games...based on that, alone.

Just like the Dawgs on the court...Mike White is trying to "force his shot". IMO