Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football outside linebacker position starts youth movement in spring practice

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football outside linebacker position starts youth movement in spring practice

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA DL is loaded with depth and experience. OLB is not loaded with experience. Why not give Mykel Williams minimal practice reps and game reps as necessary at OLB until about mid-season when the younger players are ready for more game responsibility?

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting idea. But don't we want Mykel Williams to continue to develop as DE?

It doesn't seem as if we're desperate at OLB. With five inexperienced but extremely talented other players at OLB, odds are that Kirby & company will find another starter to pair with Chambliss, as well as a couple guys who can be effective rotational players.

Given how highly you've written in the past of Darris Smith, I'm hopeful that he'll play to your expectations!

• Options
    edited March 2023

Just spit ballin. With UGA's schedule probably no need to worry about OLB production until AU, TN or FU games. (not sure which is first).

But last year the buzz was all about 5* Marvin Jones Jr and he wasn't ready. It is a big jump to go from HS to productive SEC player especially vs SEC OL's. I don't think it stunts MWilliams growth to flex out and rush in passing situations until one of the freshman (or MJ Jr) can develop.

I am a big Darris Smith fan. One of my favorite players on the team. He is/was thin and light. Such a good athlete does he also fit as a monster STAR? How would you like to blitz Darris Smith from the STAR position? Or is he bulking up for OLB? Still very inexperienced. Ready for primetime? IDK.

I just see MWilliams being able to dominate either DE or OLB. Why not let MWilliams get some OLB game reps and get a more experienced DL on the field and not rush the freshman? Williams is still practicing and playing mostly DE.

Once in a while freshmen come in and make a difference. More often than not they need that 1st yr to get SEC ready. I never count on them so anything they give you is gravy.

• Options

Once in a while freshmen come in and make a difference. More often than not they need that 1st yr to get SEC ready. I never count on them so anything they give you is gravy.

To your point, the only true freshman in 2021 who was a regular starter was Brock Bowers (although Adonai Mitchell eventually became started at X). And last year, the only two starting true freshmen were Stark and eventually Williams -- and both those guys were top 20 recruits).

I get what you're saying about OLB probably doing no harm to Williams, maybe even making him into a better player. On the other hand, it would take time for him to learn the sets and stunts for that position. At the same time, as you note, Darris Smith and all those guys could get a lot of reps in against TN-Martin and Ball State before South Carolina comes to town. Like you said, just spitballin' ...

• Options

In a perfect world EVERY freshman would come in ready to contribute. To your point, history tells us 1 or 2 make a significant contribution. Actually more do when you count very important special teams. It is just so difficult to predict who makes a big impact and who needs more development.

Like I said it seems an exercise in futility to count every freshman contributing like BB or Starks. Since we are speculating the odds are pretty good that freshmen like DWilson and M'Pemba have the best opportunity to make a contribution based on need and the numbers ahead of them.

I'd also say Hall, RWilson and AJHarris's talent level may make them immediate contributors. The number of players ahead of them will make it difficult. That could change after spring w/the next TP window. On offense, depending on Bobo's TE utilization, Spurlin could contribute. As could RRobinson IF it turns out he is a good receiver out of the backfield.

This year's schedule, while disappointing for the fans, is tailor made for accelerated development of young players.

• Options

All good points. The way I see it, we've got five or six guys who could start opposite Chambliss, and we'll also need as much help in rotation as possible. About half of them have experience. All of them have great potential. And any of them could rise to the top.