Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football All-American Jalen Carter strikes deal to avoid jail time, per report

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike jail time was never on the table. I hate this type of click-bait article.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lolol....that's funny as hell. I picture this so-called "truthteller", humping a gator's leg in his little hut in the Okefenokee (sp) swamps of North Florida, while he's posting. Lol...jk.

I honestly feel sorry for Jalen. I can imagine the guilt and regret he must feel. Been there...done that. Regardless of the circumstances, he was involved in an incident that took the life of 2 friends. That stays with you FOREVER! He is going to have to learn how to deal with it in a healthy way.

Based on his performance in Athens...I'm not sure he is surrounding himself with the "right people". You can tell, he's internalizing his pain...and, it's effecting every aspect of his life, which translates to the football field.

That, being said...Carter may have fallen out of the 1st round yesterday. Unless...the narrative surrounding the "McShay report", regarding a possible "character flaw" is bologna.. More than likely...it was just a smoke screen from a GM with a late 1st round pick, trying to knock Carter down in the draft so he can take him. That theory has been floated by Paul Finebaum. Lol...maybe, it was the Falcons.

Unfortunately, the narrative hovering around Carter, right now, is all negative.

1...his "character question"...is it real

2...injuries...due to character flaw??? Not being in shape???

3...showed up at "Pro Days" out of shape, winded & cramping... after supposedly spending the last month or two, working out in preparation for..."Pro Days".

One thing is for sure...this traffic incident and fatality will change his life, forever. There are 2 ways to change and influence behavior...proactive & reactive.

PROACTIVE....education...CKS did everything possible to address it with the entire team, during Carter's time at UGA. It didn't sink in with Carter, Willock or Dumas-Johnson.

REACTIVE......The aftermath...funerals, Court, punishment, therapy and education...The goal is to alter this destructive and inherently dangerous behavior.

You have to wonder...how many UGA Students are engaging in "racing", in and around Athens and is it "just a UGA issue"? Are High School Students in the area, also involved in racing? I would bet my left leg, they are.

What is the Community doing to address this "racing issue"??? Why don't they open a drag **** that allows for a legal, controlled, safe environment for these kids to race? Everybody knows...or should know, that racing is part of our DNA, here in the South (and in Cali').

Where do ya' think Cale Yarborough came from. Lol...I guarantee you, he did his share of "street racing". Look at all the Video Games and Movies devoted to and romaticizing, "Street Racing". Is it any wonder, that our kids are involved in the activity.

If you don't want your kids running the street...get involved...be an adult...be a parent...be proactive. Don't depend on a Football Coach or Teacher or Policeman...to do YOUR JOB!

• Options

Exactly right! You hit the nail, squarely on the head.

@MikeGriffith

Mike...one thing I don't understand, is...with all the resources UGA has...why are they "renting vehicles"?

Why don't they own or lease a fleet of vehicles and have "governors" installed, that prevent the vehicles from traveling over a specified speed? 70-80 mph is a typical setting, depending on the vehicle's purpose.

• Options

"Last I checked, driving drunk is a CRIME. Last I checked driving 104 is a CRIME. How can there be no evidence of a crime?"____Partial Truthteller

Last I checked,...that was Chandler's crime. She's dead...what more do you want from Her? Jalen wasn't drinking.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

After all the talk about Carter "leaving the scene" and "not coming forth until charges were filed" Nothing more than nasty, uninformed rumors to weigh him down. Isn't it interesting that he was on the scene until released by the cops?

As far as "cutting a deal", that's what usually happens in cases like this, particularly when the authorities determine that no felony charges are appropriate. You plead no contest, get fines, "classes", public service and probation for a year.

And, concerning his performance at the pro day. I'm no expert. This was the first I've watched, but he looked distracted. It is understandable that the situation was preying on his mind. Any normal person would have difficulty in focusing on daily activities, let alone mustering the gumption to drive himself the way he needed.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I know for a fact is it was a Terrible, Horrible tragedy for ALL those young people and their families. And the cost were as Extreme as it can be. Two young people gone in the prime of their lives.

And a legacy of horrific damage in Many ways to the other young people involved.

And I shamefully and readily confess that in my younger days this could have Easily been Me, and in many cases Worse. No I’m not proud of that.

But like Millions of young people from the past until now I went through my immature I’m invincible age.

Yes there are Some young people that mature at a very early age and they don’t ever go through those sorts of things. A sincere hats off and salute to them. That’s great discipline and Should be acknowledged.

But from the best of my knowledge those young people that mature very early and thus avoid getting into situations like this are a minority.

So does that give young people who take a bit longer to mature a Right or an Excuse to do wrong and idiotic things ? No. But the bottom line is exactly that, in Most cases young people are Still in the Process of maturing and thus prone to make some poor decisions.

So what to do ?? TRY Hard to Tell them. But establish a rapport with them first, Don’t Push to hard or you’ll simply push them away. And above all Pray for them and Hope.

And I want to stress this to the upmost, when young people do make poor decisions it is Not necessarily an indictment of their parents being a failure raising them !!

My parents raised me right !! But unfortunately when this ole country boy got away from the country to the bright lights of the city for the first time Alone in my life, Yes I made some very idiotic decisions.

Fortunately they didn’t cost someone else lives or Me getting in Serious legal trouble. I imagine my parents had quite a few sleepless nights and quicker and more gray hair.

Now I’ll soon be 66 years old and have two adult children and four grandsons, had a 9 week old granddaughter that went to be with the Lord from passing away from SIDS, she’d be 22 years old this year. So I have the Tee Shirt from both ends of the spectrum.

I’d advise Be Slow to condemn, because Terrible and Horrible things can happen in Any family. If your like me and did do some idiotic things when you were younger, Use those things as a teaching aide to your children and/or grandchildren.

If you matured at an early age and never made any poor decisions like that, Be Very Thankful, but be Very Careful not to judge, because it Can happen to someone in Your family.

My heartfelt prayers are continued for All these young people and their families. It’s the worst nightmare a parent or grandparent can have. 🙏

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t know if it’s still open or not, but used to be a drag **** ( many years ago ). Where you could race your car against either the clock or a competitor.

You had to be legally able to drive on public highways, and you Might have to have been 18 yrs old, my poor memory fails me, agree to wear seatbelts, agree to wear an approved certified drivers helmet, agree to their rules whatever those were, and sign a release of liability.

Had to pay I think it was a $25 fee for each set of runs being Two runs. You could win a trophy and $100 if you won your classification.

I never raced or went there as my car at the time was Far from being a Hotrod lol !! But I had plenty of friends that raced there. I don’t know what all was involved but they did have certain safety standards you had to abide by.

I’m with you Bro. I think there should be many more of such tracks using Today’s safety standards. Let’s face it, these kids in many cases, Will race if they get a chance. And they’ll do it on public highways with NO safety controls in place.

So that being the case why not have a Much safer ( for Everybody) environment to do that ?? NO, no one can Guarantee that accidents wouldn’t happen, Even death.

But in a controlled environment the probability would be greatly reduced !!

Just a couple of weeks back my wife and I were on I-85, and there was a six car pack obviously racing each other, we were doing the posted speed limit of 70 and these six cars weaving in and out of traffic Had to be doing well over 100 as they passed us like we were tied to a stump !! In mere seconds they were gone out of sight !! I’d make a very rough guess they were running around 110-120 mph !!

I’ve seen this happen so many times I’d have a pretty nice piggy bank if I had a nickel for each.

Yeah you can call star GSP and hope they catch them. But again let’s face it law enforcement is stretched so thin they might get a fourth of all the ones doing this.

Having a place where they can do it Legally and have safety protocols in place would be far better than our public highways !! Innocent travelers not involved in the race can get killed or seriously injured by these races on public highways.

There would have to be very serious standards and rules in place, and Severe penalties all around to the owners and participants at such facilities, but I think it’d be a viable alternative. Government should love it as it’s an opportunity to tax people !! 😀

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guilty as sin. Free as a bird.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bad choices by immature people. Now it has a band aid on it.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These "youngsters" are legal adults. If they couldn't play sports really well, they might be entrusted with billion dollar weaponry and sent overseas to kill people or be killed by other people. There is no excuse for life-risking behavior from young men who are being subsidized to play a child's game until they can cash in and become rich while still being barely literate. Many of us did **** stuff as "youngsters", but let's stop minimizing it just because not all of us got caught or caused dire consequences.