Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: Elite in-state ATH Demello Jones commits to Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageBREAKING: Elite in-state ATH Demello Jones commits to Georgia football

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep has the latest with 4-star in-state ATH Demello Jones. He ranks as the nation’s No. 18 ATH and the No. 194 overall prospect for 2024 on the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options

Jeff,

I have a question. I have followed the ranking of recruits for a number of years at 247. I have seen numerous offers made by UGA to top recruits. My question is whether an offered athlete has the option to immediately accept the offer officially? Or are there contingencies for official acceptance based on how well that athlete rates compared to other athletes being offered at the same position or positions by a dominant program like UGA?

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,570 admin

There are terms like "committable" and "non-committable" offers that are used to varying degrees by programs today.

Smart parents, coaches and players are wise to ask after the offer is delivered if they could commit at any time.

A player of Jones' caliber likely had one of those. Especially after his first visit and a "fit" is established. Schools that can be selective like UGA do try to build the recruiting relationships first. At Georgia, it is not just about the most talented players anymore. We saw the program learn from that in 2017 and 2018 signing class.

It is the "right" fit and not the "most talented" player that the 'Dawgs can sign these days.

That said, the very best players in the country know they could commit to any school anywhere at any time and the staff will be doing backflips to receive that commitment.

• Options

Thank you, Jeff. I love your dedication in doing your job as, in my opinion, one of the best professionals out there.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for that comment Jeff. Yes, I've been VERY impressed with UGA's "complete" evaluation of players and how they've developed once they get in the program. Ladd McConkey immediately comes to mind. Sedric Van Pran is another. Higher rating, but I watched his HS film and said....no one can get off this guy. How is he not a 5 star? Well, UGA must have seen the same thing and went after him hard. He will be playing on Sundays and is showing great leadership at the critical center position. UGA's recruiting is exploding. We won't get them all but we get a lot of complete players that should develop.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

H3ll yeah! Welcome to the family young man! Keep working hard! Greatness awaits you!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WE can always use more elite speed. Very talented guy.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff, your explanation was great....and I agree: "It is the "right" fit and not the "most talented" player that the 'Dawgs can sign these days." Demello seems to not only be talented but the connection with his uncle really seals the "fit" plus he's grown up hearing about the Georgia Bulldawgs. I see Demello being such a good returner, he'll be a permanent fixture. His QB/Receiver/RB skills would be one tremendous headache for opposing teams.....just the material the creative Bobo will use to exploit SEC defences.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

"It is the "right" fit and not the "most talented" player that the 'Dawgs can sign these days." , Jeff Sentell. OR a prospect's NIL demands/expectations may preclude him from committing to UGA.

BUT JS said a lot in his response to @bogarttad below. It is apparently a whole different recruiting ballgame these days.

So UGA has taken a commitment from 4* ATH Demello Jones AND is forecasted (Rivals) to get a commitment from 4* ATH Aaron Butler. Which is great. Except the top 2 ATH's in the country are 5* Mike Mathews (Parkview) and 5* KJ Bolden (Buford). Both less than an hour's drive from Athens.

Head scratcher for sure when you consider how many ATH/DB's can you take in the '24 class? The State of GA has 9 of the top 48 (Rivals) players in the country. 2 are committed to UGA (Carr, Thomas). 5 of UGA's 10 '24 commits are already ATH/DB's.

This year ('24) UGA has started fast getting commitments after 2 slow years ('22, '23) where some of us were a little panicky by late summer/fall. So to doubt CKS's recruiting is probably a waste of time. But , SO FAR, only 50% of the 10 commits are from GA.

BUT with 9 of the top 48 players from GA and 7 NOT committed to UGA feels a lot like Haynes and Downs all over again. It is early and IF UGA should add Raiola any state of GA top HS player would be foolish not to come to Athens. Right?

There is more HS football talent in the state, in this class, than there has been in a number of years. It will be interesting to see who UGA takes/can get (or can't get) after rising to the top of the CFB mountain.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He's not just an athlete. He's a Super Athlete who can do anything on the field with Super Ability. He's the kind of player can make the impossible plays that win close games.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After watching his season highlights (impressive) I would agree he is UGA talented. If he has the hands for it, I see him playing WR but he looks good enough to play multiple positions.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welcome Aboard!