Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia spring football: 4 early takeaways from Kirby Smart’s reloading championship program

2»

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lawson Luckie may be the best blocker at TE we have, but he'll have to wait his time. KId threw some brutal blocks in HS.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay...Lol....I don't disagree with a darned thing you said, regarding the offense, Bowers or Washington. Somethings wrong! Lol...maybe it's me.

As far as Darnell goes...it appears to me, he's still growing into his body. When I first saw him, at the 2020 HS UA All-Star game, he kind of reminded me of a newborn foal, trying to find it's legs and gaining his balance. He's gotten a little better each year, handling his body, but, injury setbacks have delayed what I think is inevitable. That foal is destined to become Pegasus, with a little more work and seasoning. He hasn't quite matured into his body, but last year, he appeared much more agile and athletic. He WILL make his mark...IF he stays healthy.

Lovett is one of the best WRs in the Country, IMO. I kept up with Lovett, after last year's Mizzou Spring Game. I tuned in, to watch Luther Burden...and stayed, to watch Lovett, throughout the year. He is, most definitely, an upgrade at the UGA WR Position and will be sorely missed, by Coach "Drink".

I don't know that much about Rara Thomas. From what I DO remember...he's kind of like a "Burton" or "Metchie". A possession receiver, for the most part, capable of doing more. I know, he's supposed to be good, but, not sure where he fits in with all the other WRs the Dawgs have. Maybe, he gets in the rotation...maybe not.

In any case...Lovett and Thomas are great additions. I can't wait to see what Bobo and McClendon do with that position group, this year. With the QB, WR & TE "game pieces" he has to play with....2023, is gonna be a blast.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Makes sense when you consider UGA only has 4 scholarship TE's and 2 are freshman (and 1 is already hurt). UGA has at least 6 wr's (barring injury) that can play at a high level.

From a pure #'s standpoint, more 11 personnel may be a necessity. But consider the O with basically 2 Brock Bowers. Delp's game is very similar. Who's the hot TE? Who do you double cover? Do you sub more DB's to cover athletic TE's? When you do does that create a running mismatch w/TE's blocking DB's? 12 personnel helps the UGA running game. Controlling the clock and closing out the game controlling the clock is CKS's MO.

Either way it will make sense to see plenty of both 11 and 12 personnel. With only 4 TE's (2 freshmen) UGA doesn't have enough TE's to play as much 12 as they did last year. When I wrote about leaning on 12 personnel as much as last year I didn't realize UGA has only 4 TE's.