Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL veteran coach explains why Jalen Carter’s off-field issues won’t affect his NFL Draft stock

SystemSystem Posts: 10,535 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageNFL veteran coach explains why Jalen Carter’s off-field issues won’t affect his NFL Draft stock

ATHENS — Jalen Carter left Georgia with two national championships, but the value of his time in Kirby Smart’s program goes beyond the trophy stand.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Very nicely put. Only thing us as dawg fans can hope for now is for those young men to get the therapy they need. While it may not show on the outside, we all know it's there. Stuff like that just doesn't go away. Not now, and it may never. I can only imagine every time he sits in his car, he pictures it. I'm a person who has strong photographic memory, and to this day I can remember the very 1st time I hit a deer on the road. While not as bad consequences, it's still ingrained in my memory. Please dawgnation pray for these guys and those around them to get the help that navydawg knows that is needed.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

There's a lot of truth here. Carter may be scorned by some due to the accident, but others will see it as a mistake he made in his youth and he will have the opportunity to prove he is better than that with a hungry NFL team. I admire the fact that he did come back and play for Georgia the later half of the season after his injury - he may not have been 100%, but he showed it would not keep him out of games. He had a huge impact. I know NFL teams like to see that.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg ,

Very well stated. I have stated on this platform as well as others that bad judgment and bad character are not the same thing. If they were, there would be no people of good character on this planet.

On another note, I still have a problem with Todd McShay's soundbite about Jalen Carter's character issues and who are his 7 sources of this information. If McShay or any other media personality publicly raises questions about someone's character, they should have to reveal their sources or at the very least provide verifiable details. The media has too much power to be so publicly reckless with someone's reputation. Carter's implied dislike for practice is not a character issue to me because there are Hall of Fame players in every sport who did not like practice. There are people in corporate jobs who don't like every aspect of their jobs but do it well enough to not get fired and get raises and bonuses. Do they have character issues too?

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Still think Carter got off lightly with a slap on the wrist. Too bad the officer back in September didn't cart him off to jail. Maybe, just maybe it would have opened his eyes a little. "Your break is you're not going to jail. ‘Cause that would make all kinds of news, right? Just hang tight, ’aight? You're getting a ticket for the speed," the officer told Carter.

So he didn't learn then and who knows if it's sunk in yet. Doesn't help he's driving around in car with too much power, too fast and tempting for any young driver. If he was my son, even though he's an adult, I would try to push him to get rid of it. Understand it's part of a NIL deal with an Ohio luxury car dealership. But it's trouble.....he's already had a number of moving violations and contributed to a tragedy that could have been avoided.

And don't believe he's made any statement of remorse or regret. Maybe his attorney advised him against it? Don't know. But he'll be fine, right? He's already a millionaire awaiting a fat contract. Soon he'll be in different town, moving on from what happened, living big. This bad situation will fade within time. So don't really feel sorry for him. But I do feel sorry for the parents and families of those who died at such a young age. Their grief and sorrow will never end.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

@KBP @kylnmeg10 And many other Dawgs fans. Thx Yall. Yes unfortunately all three of the survivors will suffer with the mental trauma of this for years to come.

I’m not talking about fault and punishment here. I’ll leave that up to law enforcement and the elected judges to make those decisions.

My situations plural happened over 40 years ago and I Still have issues. And it’s By Far more than “ Well just get over it”. If it were That simple please trust me that I Would have simply “ got over it “ all those many years ago.

And there are hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation. Many which are By Far worse off than I am.

It’s Not something you can Will Power away if it was I’d have done that years and years ago. It’s came very, very close to costing me the relationships I love and hold most dear in my life, and Has affected those people in my life in a large way.

So Thank Y’all and many other Dawgs fans for your compassion, prayers, and well wishes to these young people. Their gonna need all they can get.

Mental health should not be a social stigma in 2023, but sadly some people who don’t know any better simply think it’s some sort of weakness or personal flaw. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Related to my last 15 years in the work force I had the Honor and Privilege of serving our State and Nation’s Veterans. I was Blessed to meet some of our Greatest True Hero’s. Many of which suffered with this Terrible, Debilitating situation.

Many of our Law Enforcement, Firefighters, EMTs, and Emergency Room medical professionals Also suffer with it. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody.

I want to state to in the most certain and emphatic ways I can that Yes, Absolutely, this was Utterly Devastating to the families of those that lost their lives. My heart and prayers go out to those families sincerely.

But I’m pretty confident that those that perished would want their friends to receive the best on going care they can and live out the best life they can. The living must go on living, and that will be pretty challenging many times for these three that survived in future years.