Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oscar Delp ‘doing a lot better’ in crucial second spring for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageOscar Delp ‘doing a lot better’ in crucial second spring for Georgia football

Brock Bowers is the best tight end in college football. He’s a known entity at the tight end position for Georgia and doesn’t have a whole lot to prove this spring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

The TE position at Georgia is likely one of the most difficult positions to succeed at. Smart demands that you be an excellent blocker while grabbing passes on-the-side. Makes a WR position look like a cakewalk and they get the massive stats from big passes.

The good thing is though that the best TEs get recognized here. Announcers commented often on BigO's blocks and Bowers was endlessly praised. I'm glad the room cleared out a bit and now Delp has a chance to get the same recognition.

I guarantee you there isn't an NFL team that isn't aware of how amazing Bowers is. He wont have to wait long on Draft Day.

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Delp is another unsung hero who has patiently waited his turn, while producing when asked. He can block and catch well. He'll benefit the team,,, already shone he and Beck can mesh. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Last season the TEs were utilized a great deal. Seeing how the WR position was sort of depleted it only made sense. But the new year may be a little different. Bowers will still be the center of attention by opposing defenses....but with a more active vertical attack downfield to the new wideouts, it may lead to less touches for him. Washington will be missed and replacing his size and talent will be almost impossible at TE. Really think Oscar Delp has the ability to be the 'guy' in the future. He's in a great position. Could he be the next Brock? Only time will tell.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can Delp not take a redshirt? I didn't think he played in the required amount not to?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent comments all around from my fellow Dawgs fans here. I’m sure no expert but I see Bowers 2.0 all over Delp. In time.

This season is critical for him. He needs to squeeze every drop out of every opportunity he gets. And I’m confident he will indeed. If our Dawgs get the scores way up against these early opponents we might see more passes thrown to Delp in mop up duty.

Of course he’s not the Big O, even Bowers ain’t that when speaking of purely blocking. Darnell just by his size alone as a TE was an unusual player.

But if Delp can be a capable blocker, an adequate blocker, and so far he’s shown he can, he will be just fine down the road. Adequate blocker at UGA means well above average for other schools, we’ve heard numerous times that you don’t see the field under Kirby unless you can block effectively.

For both Bowers and Delp being able to block effectively as well as having good hands catching the ball will yield big dividends when they go to the NFL.